• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bug suits

For the newer archers out there,maybe some of the other archers could tell what they use for early season bug protection.

I personally use the Bug Tamer top and pants.I have been very happy with both and have had not one problem with tearing or snagging.When its real hot,then I will just wear the top after it has been soaked in cold water and the bottoms with a pair of cut offs.I can hunt in very hot and buggy weather without a problem. smile.gif

What other types do some of you use?

One buddy had the Bug Out suit I believe and it just wasn't as durable as the Bug Tamer Plus with Contain me and another friend. This is a priceless piece of clothing and is a must have for us when we bear hunt. I just use the top and not the pants because when the sun starts to go down it can get cold during the prime time of the hunt. I use a light weight camo pants instead.

Am I the only one that hates looking thru the dark screen that comes on bug suits? It tends to mess with me towards the evening.

I agree with the dark material that comes on the headnet.I almost never wear the headnet unless the bugs are beyond control as it is so hard to see my pins with it on. frown.gifI just pull it dwn to my forhead.I have another headnet on a hat which I usually wear that I can see through better. smile.gif

Ditto on the facemask. Don't use it. However, I bought a cheapo bug suit from Cabelas last year. Don't do it unless you're just getting it for the camo. The 3d leafy effect is nice but it in no way stops mosquitoes or flies.

So I used an Avon brand of unscented bug spray last year and it worked pretty well in terms of me wearing it and being close to a lot of deer.

Go for quality if you're buying a bug suit. The bug tamer sounds like such.

I've also heard nothing but good things about those thermacell units.

I have an old face net that I have used a few times duck hunting, but it has openings for your eyes and I would guess the skeeters would find that fast. I can't imagine any of them would be good for low light conditions if they cover your entire face. Have any of you found one that is good?

I just go with a head net, cotton gloves with the fingers cut off my shooting hand, and my cotton camos. The hand with the exposed fingers goes into a pocket until you need it. Make sure you wear a hat with a brim because they can bite right thru the netting, keep it away from skin contact. When primetime comes I do like to lift my headnet up so I'm not looking thru the screen.

I believe the jury is still out on how good they really work.From what I have heard from a friend is that with a few bugs its o.k.When they come out thick not as good.We might have to wait a season for the results on performance to be seen.

I started using the bug tamer 3 years ago. I hunt out in North Dakota and the season starts the Friday before Labor Day. 2 weeks before here. When it's really hot it's all I wear with briefs of course. shocked.gif The deer don't mind. I hate the headnet so I wear a thin cloth mask and a hat. Sometimes I'll put a bit of Earthscent Deet on my ears. When I walk in to a stand I wear as little as possible, walk slow and no hat. This really helps me keep the heat down. If it's humid and hot I'm screwed so I take it as easy as possible to get on stand and a couple skeeters usually get me but the suit really helps. I've found they are easier on me in the evening than the morning.

O missed that...thanks, but i geuss thats a nono on the suit crazy.gif, cant buy a lot for 50 bucks anymore i geuss mite have to take a look in the new scheels...didnt really want to break out the 80 odd bucks for the one piece on the tamer though mad.gif

The jury is still out on the Thermacell that I have. I used it for camping a few weeks ago and when I really needed it at dusk, it seems like I still had some mosquitoes buzzing around. frown.gif I bought some refills and will be using it on a couple more camping expeditions this summer. I know the southern boys on another bowhunting HSOforum really rave about it.

Frabillfisher, the Cabela's bug suit was bought not really expecting to be a bug suit but to be some nice, very light camo for early season to wear over jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt. Serves that purpose well but opening morning last year, my first time bowhunting ever, might I add, I got the hell bit out me wearing the so called bug suit. I had to leave an hour into the hunt and jumped two nice does along the way. Buy some black or camo jeans and the top and you're set for not much more than what the cheapo set cost. I'm wondering how my shoot through mesh window blind will hold up against mosquitoes in early season. Would be impossible to keep them all out, but might help substantially. Will let you know how that turns out.