• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trellised cukes

3pronghook

I haven't done cukes, but have done other vinging veggies. I used those 4x8 sheets of lattice and mounted them on treated 4x4 posts dug into the garden. Worked fine, and I used the stretchy green plastic ribbon to tie the vines to the lattice if that was needed. I did this on the northernmost back of the garden, since a wall of foliage will shade whatever is behind it.

My mom used to do it, worked pretty dang good. You just had to get them before they got too big.

We like to run our peas along a section of woven wire fencing. Makes for much easier picking.

I never used a trellis, but tomato cages have worked fine for me the last couple of years. Had an old-timer who had some home-made cages give me a couple. They are about 3 ft

tall and keep the veggies off the ground and keep the vines

from taking up the whole garden....there are web pages showing tomato cages, or just go to any l/g store.

This is my first year of trying it that way, I read about it in a book. It suggested landscape netting (I Think thats what they called it)Couldn't find at home dep,or any local garden centers so I broke down and bought directly from the catologs HSOforum for 8.95 +4.50 s/h. Two days later I found the EXCACT same thing at menards for 3.95 blush.gif That's why I love menards. It comes in a 5x15 net(look's like a volleyball net, and will fold up to the size of a teenis ball for off season storage.) and each square is 7" x7" seems to be working so far and it has some kind lifetime warrenty on it. The manufacture and catologe is gardners supply.

I plant my cukes along a cyclone fence that surrounds our kennel ,,its 6ft high and works well for picking ,,but some of the cukes get between the fence and come out some weird shapes. shocked.gif

Randoid

I've used tomato cages before too, and they worked fine. Especially in a small garden, though, the wall/fence/lattice method along the north wall will take up less room to grow more cukes. My walls were six feet tall, and you can grow a lot of cukes on tall walls, whereas tomato cages only are a couple/three feet tall. Of course, it's a lot easier to stick a tomato cage into the ground than build a big long fence. Cheaper, too. grin.gif