• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swimming bear...

My wife, youngest daughter, and I were out yesterday afternoon/evening doing some panfishing on a lake near Marcell, MN when we saw something swimming across the lake. We were curious so we motored over, trying not to get too close and scare whatever it was swimming. Needless to say it was a black bear, I'm guessing in the 200-300 lb range. There was a loon that followed it across the lake probably thinking [PoorWordUsage]? Not the best pics, but they're OK. The first swimming bear we've seen.

bear14me.jpg

bear31hu.jpg

Quote:

If we only knew the reason it wanted to take this swim.

Why to get to the other side of coarse.

Nice capture Brian, I'll bet your that was something to see for your daughter. I've seen a few bears swim across lakes. One swam across Big Sandy when it had 1" of ice covering it.

A friend of mine who has made several BWCA trips said his only encounter with a bear up there is while they were camped on an island. It swam over at night and tried to get their food packs. The next morning as they paddled away from the island they saw the bear swimming back to shore.

that is awesome!! I have seen alot of deer swimming while fishing and once even had a german short hair swim out and circle my boat while i was trying to bobber fish until loaded it up and brought it back to shore. but i have as of yet not seen a bear!!

The bear swam across a section of lake that was probably 100-150 yards wide and 20-30 feet deep in the middle. It looked like a twin to the one I arrowed a few years ago and that one dressed 250lbs. I imagine it took a dip to get away from the bugs as the deer flies and mosquito's are horrendous this summer. It was funny as we got close to the bear my wife had the camera and was saying "Closer, closer." The bear stopped in mid stride and looked at us and she's yelling, "You're too close, too close!" Good laughs...

Brian