• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rechargable trimmer

Scoot

I'm going to be getting a trimmer in the near future and I'm wondering about the battery run trimmers (versus the gas powered ones). Clearly they won't be as heavy duty as the gas run ones. I've run one for a brief time and it seemd to do a fine job. Anyone have any opinions or experiences they'd share about this topic?

My son owned one of the major brand ones and it did do the job on the lawn.If he needed to do some bigger weed whipping with it,it did not have the needed power.So if your just doing a little grass cutting it would more than likly be o.k.

He personally needed something a bit better and went and bought a Stihl gas trimmer and just loves the unit.Yes,it is a fair amount more money ,but a very nice,quality trimmer.

My comparison looks like this....

Battery powered models tend to be 2-3lbs lighter than the 2cycle models, and the 4cycle versions are even heavier.

Battery models are not as powerful and their power wanes during use. This is okay for smaller needs, but if you'vve got a long fenceline or lots of landscape edging to maintain this will get old.

Battery models will eventually stop holding a charge as good as it did when new do. Eventually the ability to run it for any length of time will diminish.

Gas powered models will last many years and do as well as the care they receive. They will be more powerful and more consistant. Gas models also have more available options if the model you pick allows them.

Price is barely an issue. Yes they cheapest ones are electric, but I found a gas trimmer at Sears for $50 and there were electrics for over $100.

If your "trimming needs" are not that substantial and you're comfortable buying a new one in 4-5 yrs then get a rechargeable.

If you want something that is quiet and doesn't give off exhaust, consider one of the electric models that run on an extension cord. These do as good a job as the electrics without the hassle of charging and battery fade. They will also be lighter since there is not battery.

MOst versatility, longevity and power would be a gas powered. But they are heavier, noisier, require fuel and make exhaust too.

Also, don't get swept into the idea of a 16" trimmer versus a 12" trimmer. Youre trimming path is only as big as the amount of string you have out. If you're trimming around stuff the string will be shorter than advertised from wear and breaking off.

Mrs. Catfish has had the best luck for power and longevity, when comparing rechargeable vs corded (she's never used gas models), with the corded types. Longer lasting because the rechargeable batteries don't wear down. Not as convenient, however, because of that pesky cord. And, as stated, none of the electrical units are as strong as a good gas unit if heavier duty weedwacking is needed.

I'm with Powerstroke on this one. I bought a cheap new gas trimmer for $50 and that thing has run like a champ for 3 years now. I've used a rechargable trimmer in the past, and I just wasn't real happy with how they performed. Like stfcatfish said, I think I'd stick with a corded trimmer before I'd buy a rechargable.

I've always used a gas trimmer, but when my last one had a couple of problems I tried a cordless. My lawn is approx 3/4 of an acre with a few trees, flower beds and a chain link fence around it. I can trim around all the beds, trees and fence (one side) on one charge.

The best feature however, is that the wife can take it off the wall and "go to town". No gas, no priming, no choke, no pulling.

To me that feature is pricless grin.gif

I use a cordless Toro trimmer. It does the job for my yard. What I like about it is no smelly gas fumes and it is not noisy. It is on its second year now and was cheap enough if and when it needs to be replaced I would get another one.

Well, I'll throw in 2 cents on corded electrics. I had a Ryobi gas, and when the carb finally disintigrated, I found there was no replacement parts for it to rebuild it, so I bought a Ryobi electric corded. This is the one with the electric motor up where the gas motor normally is on a gas unit. It takes all the snap-on attachments still, too. This thing has a huge electric motor on it, heads-n-tails above all the other electrics. Plus, with the motor up behind the trigger, it is counterbalanced like a gas model. I love mine.