• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stihl vs. Echo

Moonshine

My current lawn trimmer has decided to retire. Darn, now I have to research and buy another new power tool!

Anyway, I am shopping both the Echo and Stihl brands. The models I am looking at are either the highest end homeowner or lowest commercial grade. Commercial grade seems a little excessive for my yard and purpose.

My question, does anyone have a preference (with reason) for either brand? If I can decide on a brand that cuts out part of the decision making process. It's probably just a Ford vs. Chevy question, but I was hoping to get some insight from owners.

Thanks, Jason

If you want the top of the line,then I would go with the Stihl.The Echo will I'am sure get the job done for you.I guess it might depend on how much trimming you do and just how good of a trimmer you are looking to buy.

I own an Echo SRM-210. I believe it's in the $200 range, it was a housewarming gift so I don't know where it sits in the homeowner/commercial scale. I really like it, and now that I'm on my 3rd year of use, it really starts and runs better than when new. Last summer I did some commercial mowing when I was laid off and he ran a Stihl, not sure of the model, but it had the interchangable attachments. It was a good unit, but seemed a bit on the heavy side after 8 hours or so! I doubt you could go wrong with either brand.

Greg

I have the stihl with the interchanable attachments. it runs good the wife can start it wich is a big +. we got it a gander.the tiller attachment is sweet for around the flower bed.they are both very good brands so ether one you get your gold'n.later DP

Buy the Stihl. It will be running for years after the Echo has turned to rust. The Echo is a generic sorta unit, made to be labeled with a whole bunch of different brand names. If price is the ONLY object then buy the cheapest. You may notice that several units with various names begin to look a lot like the Echo.

slight disclaimer...I own 2 Stihl chainsaws and I've had one for over 5 yrs now.

If I had to make the comparison on name alone, I would say that all Stihl gear is commercial duty. Echo is trying to be more commercial and heavy duty, but I would say they are still a "store brand" type item.

Both do make great products and since you seem to be purchasing the top-of-the-line then I would say go to Stihl. They are already top of the line. Echo is good and I wouldn't say they are bad. I just don't think they are as durable, as reliable and as easy to maintain as a Stihl.

Its not really a Ford-Chevy thing. More like a Ford-Mercedes thing. BOth make comparable products, but Echo's top of the line is like the Stihl base model.

I've not used Echo, but I've used four models of Stihl chainsaw extensively and for many years, from the little branch trimming saw up to the husky models with 20-inch bars and big motors, and I am sold on Stihl compared with store-brand products.

The general consensus confirms what I was thinking. Thanks for everyones input. I will buy the Stihl. If the saleman does his job I will walk out of the store with the FS 80R, otherwise I'll just take the FS 50R.

I have a Stihl chainsaw & an Echo backpack blower and really like both. Thats why I was considering either brand. The Echo blower was not purchased at the big box orange store either. I noticed the models in the implement stores was different than the retail models. Only buy Echo from a dealer.

Thanks again-

Jason

Both of the brands will do exactly what you want them to do, so the choice is yours.

In our lawn service business, we have run them both and I'm sure we do alot more trimming then what you will ever do and both brands have held up great. I believe we have one Echo that we have worn the head off of 2-3 times and it is still chugging along with no problems.

We also use the Ryobi trimmers and we pound em and for being a disposable unit, they hold up really good. We have had a couple of those guys for a couple of years also and they get pounded everyday.

These disposable units can be picked up from around $59.00 for the little green Weed Eater, which is a good model for the gals, lightweight, easy to start, easy to load, and a median price of around $89.00 for the Ryobi multitasker, which will also get the job done.

I'll second the Ryobi..I bought one from Home Depot last year..lightweight, starts easily, runs great. For weekly trimming around the house, it's perfect.

I brought a 28cc MTD Yard Machine trimmer. The trimming reel assembly was melt in less than 20-hr usage. Granted, I was cutting the tall grass around the shoreline and ditches. My question is, should I buy a commercial grade trimmer? Also, what is the difference between the trimmer and brush cutter? Does the later suits better for my purpose (cut the tall grass)?

Wrong tool for the job...like bringing a knife to a gun fight, you'll lose every time!

It might suit you to rent a heavy duty weed cutter and once you get the weeds to a managable level, then, depending on how large an area you have to do, keep it neat with the whip.