• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does anybody use 2wd sport ATVs out on the ice?

Sonicrunch

my guess is in "normal" winters (do we have those anymore?) a 2wd may have limited use. once the snow and/or slush gets a little deeper it may be tough going, especially if pulling something like a portable. of course once the snow starts getting deep a 4wd atv isnt gonna do much either!

as for lightness, i cant imagine you can SAFELY get out on a 2wd sport much earlier, if at all, than you can with a 4x4.

when you ask of a 2wd sport atv maybe need to be more specific too....i personally wouldnt try to run a chain drive sport atv for winter ice fishing use as they have very little ground clearance at the rear sprocket. a shaft drive would go a little better in my opinion.

Not a sport, but I have been using a Polaris 300, 2x4, for years. Just put on the chains and go. I have not had a problem going where ever I have wanted to go. I have even pulled out my 6x12 permenent with it the last couple of years.

I would think you would be safer on the earlier ice, when my machine weighs in at 400lbs. and a sportsman weighs in at just over 650lbs, with about the same footprint.

i guess the weight issue depends on models.

a polaris scrambler 500 has a dry weight of 571 lbs, the trail boss 250 has a dry weight of 461 lbs, while my honda foreman 4x4 has a dry weight of 597 lbs. if you go down to the honda rancher 4x4 your at 524 lbs, so only a difference of 63 lbs between that and the trailboss 250 2x4.

so even from 461 to 597 seems like alot, but not enough that i'd be out on the ice a whole lot earlier because of it!! i'd personally rather wait an extra couple days and have the use of a bigger engine and 4wd.

i'd saythe biggest factor would be what you plan on using it for most. if your primary reason for buying is for ice fishing i really dont think you'll buy yourself much extra time with a 2wd than a smaller 4wd. if your going to use it mostly for trail riding and you feel you'd have more fun on a sporty 2wd then thats probably your best bet.

if your main focus is just something for ice fishing i'd go with a utility type snowmobile. a guy can find some real good prices on sleds these days.

if you think you'll use an atv for rec trail riding, hunting or some other use i'd og with an atv.

or if $$ isnt a concern look into either an atv and add aftermarket tracks, or look at 4 stroke snowmobiles like the arctic cat bear cat. quiet as can be and they are ice fishing machines!!

i would take my yfz450 out there but i think i would scare away all the fish and have alot of people mad at me with the racing exhaust and everything on it...lol... i tend to like to walk out with a ice punch on early ice and then drive my atv out when it is about 4 inches.

Mine doesn't allow me to select between 2wd and 4wd but my brother-in-law has a Quadrunner and we were out on a trail last year. After breaking trail he decided to see how it would handle in 2wd while retracing the trail we just broke in about 8" of snow. The thing wouldn't move. Without that front end it seemed useless. I wouldn't trust it on the ice unless you have a set of chains on it.

One thing is certain, a 2wd with chains will out perform any 4wd without chains in snow, especially on ice. I've proven that on a number of occasions with my truck when 4wds were stuck and I drove around them and then pulled them out.

Bob