• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gun Safety Classes

If you contact the Mn. DNR,they can tell you who the certified instructors are and they will be able to tell you when the classes are.Also,I would think that any local sportsman club would also know the people in charge.

I am not familar with West St Paul,but in SSP years ago the SSP Rod and Gun had them.Thats where I went 40+ years ago.

If you go to the DNR HSOforum and look around a little you will find they have a listing of the upcoming Firearms Safety Classes and when they are scheduled for...

I was thinking the other day about gun safety classes.Our public schools should make this class mandatory for everyone to take.

It does not matter if some will never hunt as everyone should have some knowledge on how to handle a weapon.Many accidents happen by people who do not know how to even check if the gun is loaded.I just dont see what it could hurt.

It will never happen. Guns in schools drives liberal teachers and administrators absolutely bonkers and they don't have enough common sense to differentiate between what would be a good use and purpose for them and Columbine!

Just took the field exam of the gun safety class, recently. From what I saw in the field, a lot of the students needed more proper gun handling skills then what was provided. There were problems with students loading the bolt action rifles to carelessness of pointing the rifles in the wrong directions. Safe handling of a rifle should be taught by demonstration instead of just on paper.

Example of bad loading: trigger finger on the trigger while the left hand loads the round, right handed gun and right handed shooter.

Did the Adult online class so was only able to see other students during the field session; therefore, can not comment on the classroom sessions.

From what I saw, the present safety course is too lax.

In the class room we did teach hands on gun handling and the kids were told that miss handiling the fire arm on the field test was the quickest way to fail. But time limits how much you can do and realy it's still up to the parents or a guaarian to teach poper gun handeling. This was somthing we stressed to the parents when they broght the kids in to register and would encourage that at least one of the parents set in on the class. With a parent setting in we accompished a couple things, 1. the parent most always learned somthing new or was reminded of a bad habbit they may of picked up,2. the kids behaved and paid closer attention to what was going on.