• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any one ever night fish carp?

Muskybug, I have caught them in waders while casting minnowbaits in the dead of night for walleyes. They hit and fought as hard as anything I have ever hooked. A friend of mine got spooled one night, he did what he could to slow it down but could not, about the time he realized he didn't stand a chance and looked for clippers he ran out of line.I can see why its such a popular fish, the power is awesome.

A friend of mine caught a big carp by accident about 2 weeks ago while fishing for channel cats on the Minnesota. He called me up and said this thing was just huge, so I asked, "what 20 lbs." he said, no I think 30 plus. A friend of his has a pic on a digital camera so I am waiting to see it. They had no scale to get its weight. I will try to post the pic if it is truly a monster.

This is all I could find right now:

From the 2007 MN Fishing Regulations book

Quote:

Regulation Changes That Could be Implemented

• Opening lakes to winter trout fishing in Aitkin and Hubbard Counties.

• Discontinue minnow harvest except by permit in the Cedar River

watershed to protect slender madtom.

• Night bowfishing allowed on selected water bodies from June 1 to August 31

• Allow larger bullheads to be used as bait in certain areas of the state.

• Additional transportation and packing requirements.

• Legalize some multiple hook configurations.

• Discontinue muskie fishing in December.

• Changes in opening dates for South Dakota border waters.

• Change northern pike bag limit on Canadian border waters.

• Change Basswood Lake on Canadian border to all inland season and

limits.

Yoy can find a lake list on the MSAA site as discussed in the "bowfishing for carp " thread, but that list may be premature as the rules havent been adopted yet.

As for utilizing the fish, everything I don't smoke or fry goes into a compost pile and is reduced to fertilizer. Any livestock farmer with a manure pile might take fish to work into the manure and haul out on the fields. I've had it analyzed and it's excellent fertilizer.

So do you guys think it would help if we all emailed the DNR and asked them about the night bowfishing? It would be a blast, and carp are a serious problem fish (IMO) so why not give us more opportunity to kill a couple!

The thing they(DNR)found out about carp is removing lots of larger carp only makes room for lots & lots of smaller carp. remove a 15 lb.fish its replaced with 15 1 lb. fish.They it has to do with what the lake can support as far as food goes.

I'm sure the intent is to protect spawning gamefish that run in creeks along with rough fish in April. Sometimes its hard to tell the difference in the heat of battle. Also there are going to be those that cant resist. Maybe we can educate them that the vast majority of bowfishermen are responsible and law abiding.