• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Refinishing Racks

Cheif Catchemall

I have removed my grill guard and both front and back racks off the Kodiak to be refinished. I would like a tough, scratch resistant finish. I was think about rhino or line-X. Anyone out there tried that? cost? Any other suggestions appreciated as well.

I tried it (Rhino) on one of my old wheelers. It looked good fresh and held up ok but I didn't like it shortly after. From the first time it got dirty it never looked clean again. My last ATV I had the racks sand blasted and powder coated and they looked like factory new and lasted a little better than the original paint. Thats what I'd do to the grille.

On my current one I put some adhesive backed industrial anti-skid material on the top surface when they were new and they are holding up the best of all. Unbelievably tough stuff, wears like iron and the adhesive never gives up. Unless I find something better, thats what I'll be doing from now on.

you could try herculiner

Its a paint on application, I actually did it on my truck bed about a year ago. Its held up very well, but prep work is the key.

You can buy it in a gallon which would be way too much, but it also comes in smaller quanities such as 1 quart which should still be more than enough to get the job done.

You can find this product at most auto part stores, and menards etc....

I see mac posted above, and the stuff I used did fade as well, just to let you know

What about POR-15? It is supposed to be a great rust inhibitor/paint. I have a quart I bought last year to try on my trailer but haven't gotten around to it yet. The salesman at the store I bought it at said he used it and spilled some on his garage floor and he can't get it off. Just a possible idea.

Ultra Image wants $130 + $90 for a clear coat. too rich for my blood. anyway i checked out the POR-15 on the net. WOW! This is the answer and you can get enough for you racks for arounr $50! It sounds like the strongest coating out there. Has anyone use this product?

I put herculiner on the racks of my Honda Fourtrax, it was a fair amount of work, but they look great even after 2 years and clean up easy with a pressure washer. Very tough coating, no more rust, no more scratches, and stuff doesn't slide around at all on the racks when using bungee cords or tie-down ropes.

I got all the paint off, then cleaned everything with acetone and a rag.

If you go with the herculiner, be sure to get the small can, its probably $30, sometimes you can find it onsale for really cheap to.

I have seen 2 types of bed liner at walmart and it was not very expensive. I believe it was herculiner brand and it came in a spray can and in a small jug. I had a friend use it on trailer fenders and it worked great and didn't chip off.