• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Towing Questions

LaZyDayZ

I am in the market to buy an ATV this summer.

Not sure yet on brand or even if it will be new or used.

My biggest priority is its ability to pull my Fishhouse out.

Looking over numerous ATV websites they are all rated at about 1,500 LBS.

My shack weighs in at Approx 4,000 LBS.

I have seen guys up on Mil Lacs pulling out there big houses with wheelers and I know those houses are 4,000 LBS +

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Shack on wheels? I hope so, because no ATV will drag that weight, IMO.

As far as I'm concerned there is no limit on weight. If it pulls it, it pulls it. Tires not getting grip would be the main concern, the tires will just spin if the load is too much. grin.gif

Stuck cars, trucks, trees, fishhouses...you name it, I might have already pulled it. Incredible machines, they are.

I have wondered about this too. I don't know if they are rated at rolling weight or static weight. If you had a scale in the tongue of the trailer you would see that a 4000lb trailer rolling on hard surface would have far less then 4000lbs measured between the wheeler and the trailer, conversly a 500lb chunk of concrete being drug across the dirt would measure much more than 500lbs.

One thing to make sure of is to pay attention to the tongue weight on the machine. Don't overload the machine or bad things can happen.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks guys, yes wheel house.

I ran it across CAT scales when I bought it and it was around 4000 LBs.

As far as the tongue weight I dont know but 2 men can lift it up onto a hitch as long as the wheels are cranked up.

This is a question that I asked the dealer when I bought mine. Basically, as long as the ATV can pull it, handle the load safely, and be able to stop, you are okay. The tongue weight is something to pay attention to as well.

RED

most ATV's will have a tongue weight limit of 35 lbs max. If you exceed this amount, you'll lighten the front end and lose your ability to safely handle the machine. Make sure the weight in the fish house is balanced evenly. It will make your towing experience much easier.

Another thing to consider is if you're pulling with an ATV, a solid rear axle would be my machine of choice. The IRS machines will squat and put excess strain on your rear drive train such as CV joints.

For a trailer that heavy, I would go with as much power as you can afford to help avoid long term damage due to excessive strain on the engine and tranny. The bigger machines are a little more heavy duty.

I have no doubt you can pull a 4000 pound house with any 500cc+ machine out there. There have been some good points made. I would avoid IRS(independant rear suspension) on hauling something that heavy.

I dont know if there is such a thing as a weight distribution hitch for an ATV yet. If they have one, its a good idea. At the least your going to want a sturdy reciever hitch on the machine, and lighten the tongue load as much as possible on the trailer. I would go as far as getting a substancial drop hitch(or raised hitch in this case) to make sure the trailer is at least level, or even have the tongue slightly elevated to reduce the load on the machine.

The next problem you will run into is traction issues which can be very dangerous going down any grade(access), and very frustrating when your trying to get your house moving on the ice. Aggressive tires with good tire studs will be a must and so will 4x4 if the house has settled into place at all.

Your not going to win any races with any machine. Keep in mind your talking about hauling a load across the ice that weighs 5-8 times as much as your machine.. it still beats pulling it out by hand!

realy can't add to what has been said other then caustioning you on what kind of grade you go down to go on the lake.The smal brakes on a atv are not meant to hold back that kind of wieght and they wont. I learned that the hard way after having to race a much lighter load then your house down an incline.

one thing you will want to do is upgrade from the factory hitch on most brands to a aftermarket receiver hitch. they bolt on further up the frame and distribute the load much better. usually they will up the tounge weight limit considerably.

raising the hitch on an atv will only make it more dangerous unless someone comes up with a load distributing hitch as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Increasing the height of the hitch will only increase the load center and offset the weight distribution/balance of the machine, thus giving the load and weight of a towed vehicle or trailer more leverage to lighten the front end of the tow vehicle. You can't steer when your front end isn't making full and solid contact with the ground.

I have a yamaha Kodak 400 that has a solid rear axel. I pull a 3000 lb fish house on the lakes all the time and it pulls it good. I do not try and set speed records. One issue I have had is at the landings. A couple of times I have gotten almost to the top and the wheels started to spin and the house then dragged me back down the landing. I have now put chains on the machine and have not had that issue since. The only thing that has woried me is the tongue weight. i ussually pu everything in the rear of the fish house to lighten the tongue weight some.

Towing capacity doesn't really have much to do with the "ability" or "power" of the towing vehicle. It has more to do with the durability of the vehicle and its ability to control the load such as for stopping or making suddent turns. For that reason, I don't know how they could ever rate my 600 lb. unit with a towing rating of 1400lbs. I could not imagine trying to control a 1400lb. load if it decided to swerve sideways. I personally think the rating is more as a sales gimmick and not reality.

My tractor weighs 9,000lbs and when I am towing a 300 bu. load of soybeans (9T. plus wagon) that decides to wonder, you bet I feel it.

As far a tongue weight, how many trailer units ever have a toungue weight less than 35lbs? For most applications, this would far too light for any trailer simply because the trailer load to tonge weight ratio would be too high for safe towing. There is a specification but I don't know the specifics off the top of my head.

Something to consider.

Bob

My friend pulls a large fishhouse (6.5x14)around with an Independent rear suspension polaris. Polaris sells an accessary to elimate the "squat" from heavy loads,which is basically a chain that limits the travel of the suspension.

Seems to work very well.