• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha Rhino 450

Mark Christianson

Chances are slim anyone has one, but in the event you have one or know of someone that does, what's the thoughts on this unit?

My Dad is close to pulling the trigger on one, and I thought I would try and get the opinions of the ATV guys in the know on here for some final input.

PS - Yes, he wants the 450 versus the 660, so no sense in trying to push the need for the bigger motor. He will NOT spend the extra $1200+ dollars to get that motor. I am wanting thoughts on if the 450 is a worthy unit.

In one of my latest ATV mag's they did a test of the Rhino 660 vs 450.They said that the 450 was capable of just about everything the 660 was.Just that the 450 was not as fast,or quite as fun.(I would guess you should expect that though being as the 660 has more hp).From any owner I've ever heard from on the Rhino,they claim that the Rhino is so fun and useful,that their atv collects dust after the Rhino is purchased!

I have the Rhino 660 and it has got to be the most fun vehicle I've ever drove/rode. I trust the above statement that the 450 will do what the 660 will, just not as fast top speed. Very comfortable layout and smooth riding. Very good center of gravity; the best of six other UTV's I drove for a couple of days worth of testing. Tight turning radius as well.

Looks like it will be great for work!

I think Dad is liking it for the comfort of sitting in a seat, with a steering wheel and a gas pedal like a car.

Ground clearance is spectacular, the payload is much more than an ATV, and something Dad and Ma can drive together in comfort.

If he gets one, I will put it to the ultimate test making and managing food plots baby!

Pier, they are more than ATV's(the 450 is mid $7000 list) and it weighs in at 1000 lbs.

Its much beefier than an ATV. Same motor though.

They do look like fun in some ways, but what I would check into is where they can be used besides lakes or private land. It seems that legally they do not meet the criteria for an ATV. The current description of ATV is:

All-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are motorized, flotation-tired vehicles with at least three, but no more than six low pressure tires, with an engine displacement of less than 800 cubic centimeters and total dry weight of 900 lbs.

The definition of ORV is: (ORVs) are motorized, recreational vehicles capable of cross-country travel on natural terrain, such as fourwheel- drive trucks and ATVs that have an engine displacement of 800 or more cubic centimeters or total dry weight of 900 pounds or more. Vehicles NOT considered ORVs include snowmobiles, allterrain vehicles, motorcycles.....

The legal description seems to put them in the ORV category (because of weight) but not motor size, where there are far less legal options as to where they can be used. I would guess that because of their growing popularity this may be addressed in the near future.