• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

training collar??

Gofishleech

Wow there is allot out there, not sure what I need. I have about an 90lb lab, he is not kenneled and I need to keep him in my yard (live in the country)and other basic commands. Don,t want to spend hundreds of dollars, what do any of you suggest?

For a good mid range collar, I would recomend the Sport 60 G2 that is sold in Cabelas for $259.99 My son uses these and they have lasted at least 5 years and still working good. They also have a tone you can use without shock for small corrections Reeds might even have them on sale this time of year CAJ

Are you looking for a collar for hunting of more to keep the dog home? For hunting I like the SportDog collar made by PetSafe. For an electric fence for around the house I like the wireless fence that PetSafe. Set it up and set you distance and it makes a big circle. This way you don't need to trench the wire around.

I use a Dogtra 1100, it has a variable stimuli so you can adjust the amount of shock you give as your using it.

It never failed me at all last year while in South Dakota, we had two days of sun shine,two days strait of rain and cold weather then two more days of good weather and I only charged it for a few hours while we had dinner the third night.

But I don't zap the dog to often, only when she won't stop on the whistle or if she tries to do her own thing while we are on birds.

I looked at the top brands, and called a few trainers to see what was recamended.

The biggest complaint about the lesser known brands was the battery life and the distance some won't reach to.

Sport dog,Tritronics,Dogtra,PetSafe,and DT are the top brands I think to look at.

There are others but these were the ones recamended to me two years ago.

Benny

I have a Petsafe invisible fence with 2 regular and 1 "stubborn dog" receivers I'd part with now that we're in town. Worked great for our labs. Now we only have one dog and he's got a Dogtra training collar. I'm in bemidji every week. Interested?

I have a 70lb lab and I have the invisible fence (cheapo version by Petsafe). It was a gift from the gods in my opinion. No visible fence and my dog is always in the yard. People always walk by with other dogs and she just goes to the line and watches them. I even hear people say how cool it is that everytime they walk by, she never leaves the yard to greet them.

If you do choose an invisible fence system, it is very important to follow the video exactly how it says for training. You can't just slap the collar on her and expect her to stay in the yard. If you follow the video properly, they dog will not even need the collar after a while. They learn to stay in the yard by the steps you go through with her.

The neighbor has 2 big males and the Invisible fence and he feels the same way. Our dogs will each go to the boarder line but neither cross (usually).

It works so well, I am thinking of getting an extra collar and slipping it on the wife when she is out of the yard. I think she will get a zap when she tries to get back in. grin.gif

the only problem with the inviso-fence or any of the other ones I've heard of is my sisters dog.The fence worked great at first but then the dog learnd that if it really wanted to go it just had to run fast and the shock would only last a second. After it was out it would go about its bussiness and when it was ready it would come back to the boarder and sit and bark, waiting for someone to let it back in the fenced area. The dog didn't do this often but I thought it was kind of funny. My sister didn't.

I agree but that is why I said you really have to follow the training video. I found that it actually teaches the dog not to leave the yard. I have a lab and she could care less about the shock. I have seen her sit on the line when people of dogs are in the street and take the shock for a couple of minutes. Her collar beeps when she is getting a shock so I know when she is getting zapped. That tells me that it isn't so much the shock that is keeping her in the yard but the training I did with her.

It is not a concrete wall, if they want out bad enough, they will go through it. But overall, I am very happy with it.

Just my 2 cents.

D

Somewhat true. We used the invisible fence on two labs, one being 119lb. The stubborn dog receiver worked great on him. Cost a little more, but worth it. I tested it it out on my brother in law and it even looked embarassingly effective on him. He he:)