• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using a bow on carp

Law Firm

Last year was my first go at it and I had a blast. Used an old Bear 50# recurve with a simple round drum type spool. Simple fiberglass fishing arrow and Muzzy fish head. Lots of shooting and missing until I got the hang of it. You 'need' a shooting glove unless your fingers are a heck of a lot tougher than mine!

I will be using a compound this year and a single sight pin. Had several fish pull free of the arrow last year - bigger fish shot at longer distances. Just didn't get enough penetration with the old recurve. Good luck, if you got any more questions, I'd be glad to try and help. Later.

Find an old recurve or a compound that will crank down to 50 or so. I use a retriever reel, fiberglass arrows ( if they come with fletching, strip it off), Muzzy tips and safety slides. Check rivers and shallow bays for carp (don't forget Suckers, Buffalo, Gar and Dogfish). If you're using a boat try building an elevated platform to see fish better. Use polarized sunglasses to cut glare. You'll miss alot, don't get discouraged. You'll have to aim under the fish because of water refraction. Dispose of your fish properly ( they are good smoked)and most of all, enjoy the greatest sport on water!

mncarphntr

i see you are from fertile so i have to ask is it good bowfishing around there. I go to school in crookston and i am from Ulen but was wonering if you go around here or if you drive somewhere else. Most of my bowfishing is done by DL.

Andrew Shae

Yes, there is excellent carp hunting in Polk Co., mostly Maple and Union as well as a couple smaller lakes. I do go south quite often, too. Pelican lake for Buffalo, Stalker for gar, even down as far as Hastings and Mankato. Always looking for another good lake. There just aren't enough days from May 1 to freeze-up to try them all! This "post deer hunting, pre- bowfishing" time is always rough. Thank God for bowfishing videos!

Bowfishing is by far my favorite thing to do in the spring... I am from southern minnesota and basically any small creek coming into or even out of a lake is chuck full of carp come May 1st. I use a compound with a retriever reel... I used to use one of those spools, but after 2 years I had the arrow come back at me one to many times, and that could get ugly fast. I personally think they should be illegal!!! Plus the first time you use one of those reels you will be hooked, you can get off twice the shots as you can reel in so much faster and you dont have to worry about wind blowing the line off the spool or what not. A lot of the spots I go to are literally as fast as you can shoot, so a quick retrieve can be key, as it is really hard to hit these things... One more thing, if you have the opportunity, ALWAYS take a carp over a buffalo. Thats my advice on the topic, brian-

Bowhunting carp once you try it is extremely addictive. I love it. It is especially fun with someone else. That way you don't feel so bad when you are the only one missing. When you go slow on the water, it is amazing how many carp there are. I use a compound with an AMS reel retriever and love it. Sometimes you can get a good buy on hsolist. Good luck.

No, its not legal to shoot after sundown. However the MSAA and the LLBA (Land of Lakes Bowfishing (Contact US Regarding This Word)'n.) are working hard to change the regulations. It may change but probably not before next year. That would open up a whole new world of bowfishing. ( I've got a sister in Hutch, how's the bowfishing around there?)

ive bowfished for 3 years now and i had a blast doing it in the back waters of lakes near cannon falls, but it is not legal to do it at night with spot light and stuff, but i heard this rumor that they are trying to pass a law so it is legal. i have use spot light to fish with my fishing pole and it makes it easier cuz he can really see them but u still have to catch or snag them.

Its really fun. Ive done it for a couple years now mainly when they are spawning. if you got a bow with a stabilizer hole then you are fine. most kits will come with a arrow line and a simple reel. on my bow i got a small rod with a closed face push button reel and it works great as long as you remember to push the button. if your bow doesnt have a stabilizer then you can buy a tape on reel if you want. I have also had a few pull off even when the arrow goes all the way through so now i just shoot walk over and pick it up without putting to much preasure on it. just remember to aim low and you will be fine. hope this helps.

Bowfishing is truly one of the most fun, and addictive pursuits. I got hooked up with a good friend last season...he's got a 20 foot flats boat with platforms on bow and stern. Using my old hoyt at about 45 lbs or so. Muzzy fish arrow rest, AMS retriever reel, muzzy carp tip and safety slide. NEVER TIE THE LINE DIRECT TO THE ARROW! the line can actually knot itself on your bowstring.. Check out AMS Bowfishing's HSOforum.

Also, someone posted a link to Aim Low productions. These guys are great....the sent me a couple videos to give away at a seminar we did last summer. It is a great action video that really covers the basics of bowfishing....There is a new one out called "Extreme Bowfishing" linked on the AMS sight. Guys on the Illinois river shooting silver carp...IN THE AIR!!! Really cool!

May 1st isn't far away....have fun, be good steward of the sport...and AIM LOW!

Comment on shooting the buffalo vs carp - I have no preference but the carp are way above the buffalo when it comes to wariness/spooking.

Another comment - I will be going to a retriever style vs the open drum style this year and a compound vs the recurve I used last year - can't wait!!