• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Still undecided

notsogoodfisherman

There is only so much I can read and ask others and I still am on the line regarding an ATV choice. I am looking for a quad that is 600cc or larger and has independent suspension. That's about the only requirements I have. The primary use is ice fishing and trail riding.

I have the following three machines on my radar:

1. Yamaha Grizzly 660

2. Suzuki TwinPeaks QuadRunner 700

3. Kawasawki BruteForce 650

I am about sold on the Yamaha but I am unsure about the number of electronic switches and features it has and if that will cause me problems down the road. That is about the only thing holding me back on the Grizzly. Can anyone provide me with advice or feedback on Yamaha's electronic switching (push button 3-way locking differential, 2WD, 4WD, locked 4WD; Shaft). I also read on ATV reviews HSOforum about a problem with their headlights coming loose. Anyone have a 2005 or 2006 Grizzly that can provide feedback? Same with the other two models I mentioned above. Any feedback on your experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I dont have the grizzly, I have the Kodiak 450 which has most the same electronic bells and whistles as the grizz.

Absolutely ZERO problems with any electronics and they have been exposed to all the elements many times over, and submerged a few times(a day in some cases).

The Yamaha's are very bulletproof machines. A burnt out headlight, and 1 set of brake pads in 1600 miles or so. No electronic problems at all.

Im not going to try to sell you on any machine.. they are all fun and do what we want them to do. I trust my Yamaha to take me places and back I might not be able to walk out of.

I owned a 2003 Yamaha Grizzly,and now have a 2005 Suzuki Kingquad (a more refined Grizzly with smaller racks,fuel injection,and a third headlight)The Twin Peaks you mentioned is not an IRS quad,it's a straight axle.i wouldn't worry about the Grizzlies electronics.They are a VERY reliable machine,as I have several friends that own them.The Kawi will probably be the lowest price of the group.You get Fuel injection with the Kingquad,which is means NO fumbling with a choke,and as soon as it's running you can go without it killing on you.It is a little wider than the Grizz with the fuel tank under the machine instead of up top like the Grizz which provides a less tippy,stable stance on sidehills,or fast corners.All good machines with a toss up between the King and the Grizz.Boils down to your preference,good dealer nearest you,and price.Good Luck!

in the last 3 years the only real grizz 660 problems that came into the shop were when people put big mud tires on them, the wheelers liked to spit out cv shafts. No electronics problems. I don't have any experience with the other 2 wheelers.

I previously owned a Kodiak and the controls are pretty much the same. No issues whatsoever. The Yamaha wheelers are great machines. I just bought a Bombardier Outlander to use for a year or two because Yamaha is going to release in another year or two what I really want. My Yamaha dealer told me that in 2007 or 2008 at the latest, the Grizzly will be reissued in a slight larger cc fuel injected format. That will be the one to own.

I have a 2002 Grizzly 660 which was the first year they released the 660 and I have not really had any problems with it. DUring the last few years I have put about 220 hours of hard work on it and I have not broken anything. I do have to admit though that with late season hunting and ice fishing, it sure would be nice to have fuel injection since the griz does have some issues starting in the really cold stuff.

I have an '02 Grizzly. I had one issue with it, and that was vapor lock which was fixed with a recall. I haven't had any problems with it starting cold, except when it was -30F.

If you are interested in buying a used one, I am looking to sell mine. I am buying my grandpa's motorcycle, and I am running out of room!

Thanks,

Will

Well thanks to all who responded with their input. I really appreciate the feedback I received.

I went ahead and got the Yamaha Grizzly 660 SE. To get it done right I boned up the extra dollars for the wench (Yamaha had a special for 69.95 until 12/30) and a QuadBoss 52" plow. I could not be happier with the rig I have selected. The only thing I have to offer to other ATV buyers is do your homework and TRUST your dealer. I was really on the fence with the dealer but most of that was because I had nothing to compare to and I did not know anyone else who bought from my dealer. All in all like anything, make sure they have been in business a while and have created a reputable brand name for themselves.

On the plow - I think I am going to take off the discs (skid plates)on the bottom of the plow to give it more bite on the snow.

Congrats on the new wheeler!You made a great decision,and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.The skid plate removal is a great idea as well,as it is one of the first thing I did with my plow when I got it.

notsogood, good idea. Most riders who plow hard surfaced driveways do take the plow footpads off so the blade scrapes the driveway better. Sounds like you have a nice rig. Enjoy and ride safely.