• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting a new family tradition -- family ice fishing weekend! I will be taking the family (wife + 3 kids, 10, 7, and 3 years old) out this upcoming weekend. Everyone is very excited (well the wife may not be too excited, but she is willing); now I've got to find a good lake.

We will be driving from Sioux Falls and I want a fairly shallow lake since the youngest will be using "sticks" rather than rods and will need to handline fish in.

I'm thinking of the 81 ponds (since we might get a northern on tip-ups as well) or maybe whitewood. Are there any other suggestions? If we go to 81, should we go east or west? Also, since we won't be driving on, where's the best place on 81 to fish that is near to off-road parking -- I'd rather not drag the sled more than a half mile.

Thanks for your suggestions; I'll post next we on how we do (hopefully will include pics as well!)

Scott

sorry I cant give any help for 81 as I have never fished it myself but hopefully that will change this year.

I guess for a short drive you could check out Alvin. I hear there is lots of small panfish in there, so wont be catching trophy but it should help keep the kids busy. I might hit Alvin up this weekend for motivation, after being skunked lately on other lakes.

Hopefully someone can help you out and get you on some fish. Good luck to you and your family, hopefully you guys will have a blast(even your wife grin.gif)

If you go to the hwy 81 ponds there is a WPA on the east side of the road you can park in with easy access to the water. It's toward the north end of the ponds. I have had good luck on the east side in the past. Seems like every year the fish are in a different spot.

The ponds can be pretty deep. I ussually find the perch in 10 feet or deeper.

Bush lake would also be good and it's only a couple miles to the north.

Whitewood is probably your best bet if you want a shallow lake. Only 4 to 5 feet deep.

When are you planning on going? The current ice conditions are "spotty" at best. A few weeks of cold weather will allow the ice fishermen to get out and about. Then the reports will start coming in.

The perch bite on Madison can be good at times. I'll keep my eye on that for you. I drove by on Saturday and the ice looked bad. Not a shack on the lake.

For a great weekend, one your better half will thank you for because she doesnt have to get out in the weather, is the lodge on Lake Thompson. Even though the $175.00 per day price tag seems steep, trust me it is worth it. It is one of the nicest places I have ever stayed and all you need to do is bring food/drinks/blankets. The house has every amenity that you could imagine and the staff at Thompson takes great care of it. It is spotless. We were planning on renting it for New Years Eve, however we had a lot of people back out. I would consider the ice conditions for this weekend prior to leaving the house. With this messed up weather, I dont think it is 100% safe. Just a thought.

Sorry I could'nt resond any sooner. My computer has been in the shop for the last week, so my internet acces is somewhat limeted.

Whitewood has been sporatic as has Lake Thompson. The bites that I have been getting on Lake Thompson have been vicious ones from suspended fish. Here is a picture of the latest 2 pounder that fell victim to a Go-Devil.

marc36pr.jpg

As for some of the other lakes I have had some success on the 81 ponds, but find the fish so be rather fussy. Once the code is cracked though hold on becouse it is going to be a fun time on the ice. Sorry my digital camera froze up so I don't have any pics from the ponds.

mw

Well we got out on Sunday -- decided to head to Scott's Slough (Just north and west of Hartford). It was a good close destination.

Everybody had a good time -- sadly the fish did not cooperate; but as I tell my kids (and wife) we go fishin' not catchin'!

After about two hours, my three year old was cleaning ice out of the holes and dropped the scoop in; he of course reached in after it and soaked his mittens and coat. It was time to head back to the truck. On a good note though, the scoop tangled with the line on the way down and we were able to retrieve it -- which made him feel much better!

My wife even pulled some minnows off of hooks as we were cleaning up to go. We're all looking to family ice fishing adventure number two!

Any suggestions for that one?

Scott

CPL,

I'm glad your family had a good time! I remeber when I was little and my dad used to take me ice fishing on Lake of the Woods. Those memories will never be forgotten and are prabably the reason I am a fishing junkie.

Good luck on your next outing and be sure to update us!

mw

Ivegottabite,

The LX-5 is simply the best unit on the ice right now. I have no complaints on my unit and cannot believe the sepparation I get from the bottom and between my jig and bait. Fish cannot hide out of site on the bottom like they can with other units.

MW