• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transom Saver

MrBig

Question

Looks like I need to buy a transom saver and need advice on what to buy. I picked up our new boat Monday, Sportfish 1850 with 140 hp Johnson and Karavan trailer. The salesman insisted that I didn't need a saver and just trailer it with the motor up and locked on the bracket. But when I picked up the boat, I see that the motor is almost horizontal and sticks way out from the back. The guy going over the boat recommended a saver. So what do I get now, or do people really trailer their boats with the motor sticking out like that? The trailer didn't have any hole underneath that I saw, so do I need a saver with a bracket that attaches around the trailer? And then do you bunge the motor to the saver in case something slips then the saver won't drag?

Thanks for your help.

9 answers to this question

As far as I am concerned every outboard should have a transom saver on it. I know of two kinds, there is one style that will fit over a keel roller if you have a drive on trailer or a roller right in the back of your trailer, the second is a bolt on that you might have to drill a hole for the bracket, so the transom saver can fit into that.Then adjust it to your satisfaction.

Ditto on Gilby.

One more thing is to remember to use back straps on transom, so boat woun't bouce on trailer, and T.Saver stretching to keep motor down.

Most trailers have already a hole on last crossmember to attach transom saver.

Otherwise the model with a U end will fit over bottom middle roller.

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 04-07-2004).]

A lot of guys around the areas I fish, including myself, simply use a short piece of 2x6 or 2x4 placed on the two secondary push rods then lower the motor to keep it in place. This disperses the wieght and takes the pressure off the hydrolics. We just use the appropriate size board to get the motor height we want.

I'm not recommending you do that with your new boat but rather I'm just curious how many of you also do this and if anyone can tell me of actuall damage done by doing this versus using a transom saver. Not speculation, actual cases where they know damage was caused by using a board rather than a saver. If so, what kind of boat was it?

I have a transom saver that came with my ranger fisherman but found it to be a pain compared to the board. No problems in the 10 years I've been trailering boats this way so far.

ccarlson

We replace dozens of transoms each year and trust me, their not fun or cheap for the owner. Buying a 'saver is the best thing you can do. They shift the burden of supporting the weight of the motor off of the transom and onto the trailer. The little bit of hassle and cost is well worth it.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

Yes, I transom saver is well worth the little bit of extra money. I used to have a Karavan trailer and you need to get the transom saver that slips into a little bracket which bolts to the trailer on the bottom of the cross member. There should be a little rubber pad on it with a bolt through it. Just loosen the bolt and attach the bracket and then the transom saver will work nicely. I believe I bought my through Cabelas. Good Luck!

Happy Fishing smile.gif
Chev

Hi gang,
I went around with this once myself. Wanted one for my 40 Merc. My boat has steering, but it does not "lock" or stay in a straight ahead position, so the motor turns to one side or the other, and the "v" attaching at the transom will surely scratch the %^$^&
out of my motor. Then everything loosens up anyway, and the saver is then virtually ineffective. So, I use said screw it, I returned the thing, and I just use the 2x4.
At least it prevents the hydraulics from being beat to death. BUT, MrBig, I highly recommend one for that 140 Johnson. That is a lot of weight bouncing around on the transom and the t/t hydraulics. Ask a SERVICE persons opinion rather than a sales person.
Good luck,
Don

------------------
people who fish live longer.