• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anchors

sandman469ss

Question

Alright, got the new boat, now I need an anchor to hold it. I've narrowed it to the Richter anchor and the Waterspike, but would like some opinions.
It needs to hold a Ranger 620VS. I'm normally in soft bottom lakes, so don't know whether the waterspike would work as well as the Richter.
Opinions Guys!

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

11 answers to this question

I know a lot of guys like the spike but I have a tyee with the windshield and found in windy conditions it either wouldnt hold the boat or I had to let out a lot of rope wich made it hard to land on the spot you wanted to fish.I went to a 20# navy style anchor and that works well,a little heavy to pull up but thats why you take friends fishing.

The trick to the Water Spike is that you need lots of rope for it to work properly.But when you do it holds better than any anchor on lakes.When you start dealing with current you need wieght to get you down fast.Then the Richter might be a better anchor.
I use the Water Spike in my lake boat and a custom river anchor in my RIver Pro.The custom anchor is a lot like the Richter but has better holds better.

I agree with Dennis. The Waterspike is a great anchor. I use one in my 620 and have never had an issue with it not holding. It stores away much better than any of the other styles. You do have to use a lot of rope and I would suggest a 3-4 foot section of anchor chain attached to the spike then attach your rope to the chain. This extra weight allows the anchor to set quicker and easier and it provides some protection against sharp edges if achoring in rocks, etc. I also carry a 15# Navy style anchor that I use for the back of the boat if I don't want any swinging or to use in a very light/no wind situation.

Dean Thorn

Thanks for all the advice guys. Think I'm just going to try more line with my river anchor. If that doesn't work, probably go with the Richter. I just can see how the waterspike could hold in a muddy bottom without any weight.
Am I wrong?

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

Dennis you out there? I use either a 17# or 25# river anchor depending on how much current Im in. Lots of boats at times so I cant afford to drop out 3 times the depth in line. Thats when BIG BERTHA comes out and I can drop her to the bottom tilt her and let out 15' of line and hold in a hurricane!

Sorry
I missed this topic.
The guy who makes them is Backwater Eddy's buddy.THey weigh 35 lbs and would hold the a battleship in a swift current(they hold the River Pro anywhere!).You'll get sore arms pulling it in though. grin.gif
I do believe he is going to make a 20lb version.I think I will try one of those too.

You have mail.

I have one question with regards to the length of rope you are talking about.

I've fished Mille Lacs on many occasions that I've had to let out "alot" of rope, I would guess maybe 30-40 ft., the problem I've had in the past is when people see you catching fish and they want to be ontop of you. No less than a dozen occasions I've had people troll around me and get caught on my anchor rope, what do you do about this???

Ole

Opie is right about the chain between the anchor and the rope. Make sure that the chain is HEAVY (heavy truck tow chain type) 3/8 link or better and galvanized(won't rust). The weight of the chain will help make the rope lay parrell to the bottom. This works grreat with the Navy or fluke type anchors. You can get by without having to out so much line also.

[This message has been edited by trollingforeyes (edited 04-06-2004).]