• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

feild dressing deer

Nova

How many of you guys use gutting gloves? I personelly have never used them, but it seems lately everyone is. I understand the principal of them, but if I can't touch it with my hands why would I eat it? Yeah yeah, I don't eat the guts, but the guts do touch the meat and I eat that. Sometimes I think we get a little carried away with things, but that's just me.

I agree, it makes a stinky mess of your hands and if you are not careful your sleaves too. Why try real hard to control scent and then have deer gut stink all over you? I wear the big long gloves that go up almost to your shoulder, and then that long glove can double as the heart/liver bag too.

I think the marketing side has taken it to the "saftey" realm. Surgical gloves were on the market years ago and they didn't go as well as thought. Then CWD came in to play an now the supposed need for gloves is due to "safety".

I think the gloves are nice for a quick clean up. Peel them off when it's done and you have warm clean hands and you don't get "stuff" on your steering wheel, clothes etc.

And as mentioned, it's a good place for any organs you want to eat.

I just dressed my first deer that I ever got on Monday. Good lord, it was nothing like the video I bought at Fleet Farm that showed me how to do it. Much stinkier but rewarding once finished. Anyway, the gloves definitely made clean up easier. Beginner's Tip: Try not to get the bottom of your boots caked with the dirt under the guts. I left them outside to dry off and hope to scrape the sinky mess off the bottom tonight - and then cover the rubber soles in an inch or two of water with scent killer detergent for a few days.

Another tip is wet wipes for clean up.

I use the gloves and love them, but you always get a little bit on your hand (or face, when you're wiping your brow). Next time at famous daves, grab a handful from their bucket and put them in a ziplock with your gutting gloves.

If gun hunting with a party, and you'll still be hunting after you gut and wipe, you may need to worry about the scent those things put off. I know a guy that makes his own wipes from the commercial paper towels (the ones that are more like cloth than paper). He uses a scent-proof concoction like Dietz's, or any old scent killer soap and water, then soaks them and puts them in a ziplock. As long as the bag is zipped tight, with no air (to prevent puncture), they stay wet all season and work well.

Joel

I usually have several pairs of the short surgical gloves in my pack. I bought a box of a 100 for $5-10 from a safety catalog a few years ago. Especially during gun season, where I'm likely to continue hunting right after gutting & also wearing a lot of clothes, I try to get some of the shoulder length gloves. In all cases I do it for the easier cleanup. I've found you usually get some blood on your hands anyway, because of a pin hole or magic I don't know, but it gets there. The great thing is the tallow is all on the gloves, which is so hard to wipe off your hands. For gun season especially if you party hunt & a lot of the guys in your party won't gut deer or you may shoot multiples, make sure you have 2-3 pairs. I don't how many times I've had one pair & stayed nice & clean for one gut job & then gutted a second deer with no gloves & still wound up a mess. It's all good & part of it to me, but it's sure a lot easier cleaning up.

blah blah blah grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

that one of the best things about the hunt, the whole hunt not just the killing part.... getting your hands messy is great, creates a sense of accomplishment for me. I only shoot 2 deer a year though.... once I gut one I wash everything over anyway. I usually wash my clothes once a month at least, depending on what happens.

no gloves here boys, getting messy is mans work! grin.gif

I don't about 75% of the time myself. It doesn't bother me one bit, blood on everthing, who cares it all washes up plus we hunt near a stream so if we get too filthy we just clean up in there, no soap of course.

I don't care either, it's just a planning thing for me. I had bloody hands half of opening day last year because I didn't have access to water & was out of gloves. I still ate sandwiches & whatever, but it isn't my preference.

You guys all must be real men. grin.gif

I do it because I'd rather not give my scent-blocker suit another wash and lose the carbon. Also, I prefer not to get my gun and other stuff (grunt tube, backpack, hat/gloves, etc.) full of scent. Maybe it's beneficial, I dunno. Either way, I'll see you guys at lunch with the bloody truck seat.

And I also do it because I'm scared of blood. And guts. That's gross. grin.gif

Like Tro said it does make for easy cleanup but there is something to be said about digging in that nice warm chest cavity up to your elbows after taking off your coat and rolling up your sleeves when it is below 0 F and coming out covered with blood and watching the steam come off your arms while you beat your chest and grunt like a wild man standing over your kill. grin.gif.

Can’t wait for Nov. in Northern MN!!

jnelson,

Good post, you cracked me up.

It's kind of like Quigley Down Under, if anyone's seen that movie, when he's talking about pistols, "I said it wasn't my weapon of choice. I didn't say I didn't know how to use one."

None of the guys like jnelson said we couldn't gut a deer with out gloves. We said it just made a lot more sense to us to use them. Go ahead paint your face with it if you want to, I don't care.

I for one do not like having blood all over my hands, clothes, rifle, bow... I started using long gutting gloves a few years ago and I love them and unlike Bigbucks I have never had blood on my hands while wearing the gloves. They are awesome.....Highly Reccommened.

Quote:

Go ahead paint your face with it if you want to, I don't care.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Usually don't use them, but when it comes time to eat that sandwhich it makes sense. If you get to it right away before everything starts drying I'm always amazed how well you can clean up by scrubbing with even just dry oak leaves... of course I'd recommend you avoid chewing your nails for about a month. grin.gif

chucker34,

that first whiff is never quite what you expected! crazy.gif

After my dad told my uncle on his first deer to slice the skin from the groin up to the solar plexus. He gripped his knife full-handed blade down lifted the hand and THUNK. shocked.gif

Turned around and started walking away saying "Geez, didn't think that needed explaining, who knew"

Uncle: "hey we're not done yet"

Dad: "oh yes, WE are".

The stuff that oozed out of that one will turn many a strong stomache. crazy.gif "I'm scared of blood. And guts. That's gross."