• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

frontline

fish2live

I usually start mine in May and end in Oct. Depending on the spring and what part of the state your in you may want to start in April or judge it by the spring we have. I start my heartworm and Frontline at the same time, so each month I remember to do both.

I asked my vet last week about Frontline and he said that Oct was one of the worst month for deer ticks. So depending on how cold it gets, you need a dose for Oct and maybe for Nov, if it is nice. I buy them in 3 doses and he said that it will keep for next year.

Another question. I've never used Frontline. We've always vaccinated our dogs against Lymes. Then use Advantage for fleas and, of course, Heartgard. Vets say that Frontline kills ticks and fleas that bite because it's a toxin. You put it on the dogs back and they spread over their whole body via scratching, licking, just being a dog. They are OK because the toxins don't kill them in their short lifespan. What about us? We love to pet and hold our dogs. Does this stuff have a bioaccummulatory effect on us over many years and many dogs? I've never had lymes in my hunters but the ticks will stick. But then I've seen ticks gorged on dogs that use Frontline too. I usually spray my dogs with Off before going into the field. Helps keep them off from the get go. Vaccination is the way to go, IMO, to protect them because as I've said, I've seen dogs that use Frontline with ticks that have been on them for days. Just curious, Thanks.

Art, the vaccination subject has been brought up here a couple different times, don't blindly believe that the vaccination you are giving your dog is a sure way to prevent Lymes. I know of a couple of dogs personally that contracted Lymes even after vaccination, and several guys on the board here have stated the same. In fact I no longer even give my dogs the vaccination. If it was (is) a really reliable way to prevent Lymes, they would've by now formulated it so it could be given to humans, but the reliabilty of the vaccine is in question.

The way Frontline works is to spread through the lipid system of the dog and not on the coat or surface of the skin. I know they recommend that you avoid contact with the product, but I'd bet once it soaks in/dries there is little if any residue that you need to worry about. There is a 1-800 # on the package and I'm sure they could clear up any questions that you'd have.

Good Luck!

Ken

I get the dog vaccinated and use Frontline. I just pulled 4 ticks off of her a couple days ago. Strange thing was they were all on top of her head. I haven't found a one anywhere else.

My dog doesn't get into tick country after hunting season, but I treat her right thru December. A nice warm sunny day in December can bring those little (Contact US Regarding This Word) right back out.

I found 2 more last night after this post.

I have used Frontline for about 5 years and I found my first grape last week. For me it has been a fantastic product. I will apply it until the dead of winter as there are alot of deer ticks out now.

THe lymes vaccination was harder on my dog than Lymes disease was. Lymes disease for dogs is not a big deal, they are sick for a few days and you give them some meds and it is gone. The vaccination caused my dog's joints to ache year round. Once i stopped the vaccinations, she was fine. There is quite a bit published on this according to my vet.

Yeah I have heard of dogs that have been vaccinated getting it too. Those buggers are so nasty it sounds like nothing is fool proof. Sounds like I need to readdress using the Frontline a bit more. And I'll always spray them with DEET as well. Thanks for the input.

My vet doesn't recommend the vaccination either due to issues that may be attributable to the vaccination further down the road, and the lack of effectivness. I use Advantix on my lab with good results. Only a few ticks so far this season.

I personally use until there is snow on the ground for good. Some of my worst tick problems have come late in the fall when I did not think they would be around. My previous dog contracted lymes twice due to my thinking it would be safe later in the season. Both times (6 years apart) were from the central Minnesota area.

I use Frontline and have had very good luck with it. I put it on one of my black labs last April and within a couple of hours a tick fell off. I use it from April through September.

My vet warned against getting the lymes vac. He told me it isn't 100% effective and if the dog was to get the disease the vaccination would make it more difficult to diagnose.

Symptoms for lymes in dogs include limping and swelling of the lymph nodes in the affected limb in the early stages.

The symptoms I have seen are the limping, swelling of the joints normally the ankle or knee joint. They are also warm to the touch. The dog becomes very lathargic, doesn't want to eat and may have a hard time lifting their head. The good news is most vets will start on anti-biotics while they test for Lyme's. It doesn't hurt and usually within 24 hours the dog is greatly improved.