• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

North Dakota Fighting Sioux (name the new team name)

buzzsaw

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, we do agree on something, Bucky Bites! Great, now the Wisconsin fans are gonna throw last year at me.... I just can't win... oh wait the Gophers are in first with games in hand on other teams and the runaway #1 team in the nation. Okay okay, I'll curb my inthusiasm... I usually don't really care much what a team does in the first three months of the season and start watching how well they are playing down the stretch... but winning these important non-conference games will help determine our seeding and payback for the mighty Holy Crosses of the world. wink.gif

With that being said, can I still give Sioux fans grief? I mean it is so much fun! laugh.gif

Me?? Never... just ask my buddies in the Baseball & football forums... they'll vouch for me. I take it and I dish it.

Whats your prediction for the Sioux this weekend? or for that matter the Gophers? shocked.gif

Buzz

I realize you've got on the maroon and gold goggles on, but I'd have to say that the Badgers lost and equal amount of talent to the NHL and graduation. They just don't have the type of recruiting class to reload that quick.

The red can hang in well, but haven't been able to get over the top. Hopefully the hole isn't too deep for them to gain a little ground towards the and see what happens. They didn't have a full squad and hung with the Mighty Gophers pretty well a few weeks back in their barn. The Badgers have had a beast of a schedule to start the season, and it's not going to get better for awhile. In those types of games if you don't bring your "A" game every night you lose. Young teams tend to struggle to be consistent, but the Gophs are the exception. But then again everything has been dropping pretty well for them. Let's see what happens when they have a few "gut checks".

One word of advice. It usually doesn't hurt to fall of your horse, if you don't pick a high one to get on in the first place.

Well said Nolte, I just got back from the Gophers/Mankato tilt and Minnesota stunk! We were down 3-0, then up 5-3 and then gave up the tying powerplay goal with about a minute left in the game (on a horrible penalty call I might add)!! We deserved only one point out of that game! Lucia will be in the ears of the boys who like to play down to their opponents. mad.gif

Mankato is a pain in the a-- to play home or away. Saw games this yr against ND and they played very tough. I think they will give the gophs another good run tonite. Tormey is out also. I saw Jutting in the elevator at MSU campus 2 yrs ago wanted to slap him in the nutts and tell him thats from the Sioux hockey team but I was out #ed.

Quote:

Tormey is out also

A severed tendon is never a good thing; his career may be over.

Quote:

saw Jutting in the elevator at MSU campus 2 yrs ago ...

I don't think you would had a problem having someone get your back if you were off campus.

I was up in the Mariucci club last night directly at the other end of the ice from that play and took a picture that shows his hand exposed, it looks like he had lost his waffle or glove (not sure if he's a righty or lefty) I'll post it today... thats horrible news for that kid! frown.gif I was playing hockey in a Minnetonka mens league years ago and got nudged hard from behind by the boards and went down and my wrist was exposed and got cut, I was taken to Methodist for stitches and when they injected me with whatever it was the bleeding stopped and you could see my tendons!! The doctor told me I was millimeters away from having severed tendons and that my fingers wouldn't have worked the same ever again. I was lucky, I hope this kid is as well.

It’s a good thing the Gophers decided to show up for one period each night this weekend. If hockey were scored like boxing per round, the Gophers would have lost the weekend tilt 4-2! However, I want to give credit to the Mankato team. They played a great series and a smart game for all but the second period of Friday’s game. All the old sayings came into play this weekend, “Will beats skill” and “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard”.

I hope this is the wake-up call the Gophers needed, but I doubt it. I’m a huge Gopher fan, but I would still like to see them drop a few games before the end of the season just to keep their heads in the game and not feel invincible. I think SCSU in February is going to be tough. SCSU is playing some great hockey right now. Michigan Tech has improved this year as well. Next weekend may not be the usual pushover game that it used to be.

In another night with little – besides rink rats – stirring in the college hockey house, the Michigan Tech Huskies again proved their bite to be much more formidable than at any time in Christmases past. Spurred undoubtedly on by a comment in Saturday morning’s Grand Forks Herald referring to them as ‘perennial doormats,’ Tech registered their first sweep of North Dakota in 14 years while becoming the second straight WCHA squad to win both games from the Sioux in their own barn.

Still haven't heard much from Sioux fans, whats going on up there? I hear Dean Blais is stinking it up in Columbus and may be looking for a job soon... want him back?

I call it a year of "rebuilding" let me tell you its tough watching your favorite team get there A kicked over and over knowing they arent that bad of a team... i guess cheer for the gophs until the storm is over or next year comes..

Quote:

I call it a year of "rebuilding"

not to poke the bear or anything, but I thought that this was also a "rebuilding" year for the gophs....

the sioux have just plain out been flat on their skates the past month. Yet, the gophers can have an off night four games in a row and still remain unbeaten. I think the main difference, though, is that the gophers can capitalize on those brief 10 second lapses in a team's defense that happen only a few times per game, and put the puck in the net.

Even though the gophers remained on their unbeaten streak the past month, I definitely believe that they were in a little slump there, especially with a few of their key players in and out of the lineup. I'm just glad they kept winning.

Going back to Buzz's original post, did anyone see that Maturi won't allow any U of M athletics to play teams with native american mascots, with the exception of NDSU in hockey only? This is just ridiculous. Maturi can get fired and drink off Monson since he gave him 1.2 million. Maybe then they can bring someone new in to fire Mason too. And then when that's done they can hire Don Lucia to coach everything grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I agree this is ridiculous. First of all I can't see how the UND logo is offensive but then again I'm not an American Indian. I am however Irish, and if Notre Dame ever considered getting rid of the Fighting Irish nickname and logo they'd have a riot on their hands. Secondly it's so hypocritical because the U of M is still going to play the Sioux in hockey and the Illini in other sports because their in the conference. i.e. the U would loose money if they didn't play them.

I wonder if there would be outrage if UND changed the name to the Fighting Sue and the logo was a lawyer. wink.gif

Not sure if buzzsaw can add Maybe SUM can help. There's only one thing that matters when you talk about college hockey, winning the National Title! Check the link and do your math. UND 7, MN 5. Only Michigan (9) has won more than the Sioux. Yes, the Go-4-er's are having a super year (so far), just hope that Holy Cross isn't in the tourney this year! Sioux win when it counts, MN, well check the math again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men's_Ice_Hockey_Championship

Oh boy. Another history lesson. All praise to the Sioux's titles but I am pretty sure Wisconsin has bragging rights on us all right now with their 4th and current title.

So again, can we talk about today? The only thing more important than yesteryear was yesterday. If you want a history thread, start one, or at least acknowledge your current struggles before you start bragging about tiles won in the 50's and 60's when NCAA hockey barely fielded enough teams to fill a Top 10 ranking.

Wow. The gophs don't have any fervent fans? Don't we always here about their storied football history and all those titles....when were they? I'd say the Sioux have about as good a chance at winning a National Championship. How many goph fans were still saying with a straight face what a hockey power they were after Holy Cross? (Don't EVER forget Holy Cross boys) Playoffs are still coming and I'm sure my alma mater will be there with game tapes of all the teams they have to match up with. I've been a MN sports fan all my life but have come to the realization that they are the epitome of mediocrity. Gophs are on a run so far this year and look great but history has a way of repeating itself. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing them get another title but get your adams apple ready to be stepped on.

On another front. Can you imagine if the U administration was fighting a name change? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif