• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4x4 winter fit-up

mark n

Gentlemen, I hope your summer has treated you well.

I recently purchased a 500 pol to assist me in my ice fishin ventures. My question is, what would you suggest for an auger holder / bucket holders, ect. I thought I would get some of your experienced input and ideas prior to outfitting my new winter toy....er..TOOL!

Thanks for all the help over the years

Mark

I bought an auger holder for the front rack on my wheeler last year. Seems to work prettty good, and can also be used as a gun carrier. It hold it down w/ velcro straps and and a rubber strap but I forget the brand at the moment. I would post in the ATV forum, some of those guys have some nice setups. There was one at the ice fishing get together in St. Cloud that was awesome!

Hey Mark...long time no see! I got a Bombardier Outlander 400 and am looking for the same stuff. Think I'll go with the Otter auger carrier or make one out of PVC. Haven't thought of the pails yet because I was going to carry them in the flipover but I 'spose I won't always be using shelter...Hmmm. I'm getting geared up to camp on the ice this winter inside my Otter resort. Plan on putting a cot inside the tub and a cot tent. Got a $200, -30 mummy bag at Cabelas on sale for $75 (after the gift card promo).

Got Ice?

Scott

You may spend a little more than you were thinking but, the Otter Outdoors ATV gear will last a lifetime. Throw a Monster Box on the back rack, slip on an Ice Shield auger holder and a bucket holder and you're done. Products that can be used all year long, too.

otterrig5vv.jpg

if you have racks on your wheeler, straps go a long way. I can strap the auger to the rear rack, that sits perfect, then I can put a strap around the bucket on the rear rack pulling it to the auger. the LX-3 gets straped to the front rack. done.

wheelers are easy to haul stuff, its snowmobiles that are the tough ones.

Dan, the Monster Box setup works great. I have nothing in the Otter house flopping around when towing, and I don't have to unload the Otter sled to set the house up or get the auger out to drill holes. Gear I don't need at the moment, I leave in the Monser Box.

Dave...

I think you hit the nail on the head. As with all pull or tow behind portables, the space inside the sled is always used for storing gear. And if you're like me, that consists of everything except the kitchen sink. And sometimes that as well. What happens when heading across the lake on the wheeler? Your gear gets bounced around. That's just the nature of the beast and will happen with ALL portables with gear packed inside.

I've tried on numerous occasions to modify a sled to lessen the blow of towing on the equipment. Storage compartments, rack systems, even a "shock absorbing" kind of a deal. The results were "okay" at best. And with some of these set ups, the reduction in equipment capacity was unacceptable.

This Monster Box seems to be the answer. All the space you'd probably ever need AND it's sitting up, out of the snow and slush, attached to your smooth riding wheeler.

Leave the portable for fishing and the wheeler for cargo. Then you're set!! grin.gif

I purchased a rear mesh drop rack that extends off the rear rack and drops down and is great for hauling 5 gallon buckets and you auger. The only downfall is less clearance on the rear but havent got stuck yet.(02 foreman 450 with 2" moose lift and 26's)They sell at Dennis Kirk for $240.95.

It doesnt really limit the clearance too bad though. It sits about level with the bottom of the muffler.The other plus to this is it gives you a 6" side on your original rear rack.

I think I like the idea of using milk crates with bungies to hold buckets and gear. Keep it simple. Thanks for the replies fellas. A trip to Gander Mtn gave me some ideas as well

Dave, thats a nice looking setup.

Dinnerpail, I see you spend some time up in Hill City. My sister has a place on Hill lake and I go up there usually once a year in the fall and ride the trails. Have you been up there riding lately? It sure is fun up there, wish I were there right now.

BigDave2, I grew up there and go up as much as I can. Have a place on Dinner Pail lake north of town. Most of my riding is on paper company land. Last few weekends were great for riding, to nice for duck hunting. My son is living at our place and is going to school at ICC in Grand Rapids right now, lucky kid. Where is you sisters place on the lake, I know alot of people around there. I go up so much I'm on the board for the local sportsmans club and was even ask if I was interested in running for the township board.

My sister and her husband have a piece of land on the small bay on the south side of hill lake. Leif and Brenda Nelson are thier names but they have only been there for about 5 years or so.

I know where dinnerpail lake is but I have never fished it. Actually I have never even fished Hill Lake. My sister and her hubby do not fish and usually when I go up there I bring the wheeler and not the boat.

I was just up there a couple of weeks ago with some friends of mine. We put on over 150 miles that weekend. First day we went to jacobson, second day we went to Remer with lots of sidetracking and getting stuck and on sunday we rode around in park X for a little while.

The riding is awesome up there. I wish I could live up there all the time