• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ripley Hunt???

bucks-n-ducks

Hey guys, I know some of you have taken part inthis hunt, and some will be hunting this year. Our group of 4 got drawn for the 2nd season this year and none of us have ever been there before. Could any of you more experienced Ripley hunters give me any pointers that I could relay to the group??

1) We have the map that was sent to us with the award letter, any good "starting" spots that we should look for?

2) It says we have to enter though the entrance on the south-east side of the camp, can we drive the roads in the camp itself, or are we limited to foot travel once we are in the gate?

3) Scouting? Can we get there on friday and walk/drive around alittle bit just to get a feel for the area?

4) Anything else would be greatly appreicated, if you don't feel like posting on this HSOforum, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks, any help is greatly appreicated!!!

Bucks-n-Ducks

My group got drawn for the first weekend. I have not been for over 10 years so I might be a little rusty.

I know there is no scouting before hand. Cars line up very early.. like before noon on Friday.

You can drive certain roads after you get in.

I seem to remember that whereever I sat I saw deer and BIG deer. The amount of hunters there make the deer move costantly. I shot one, but waited the 1/2 hour before going to track it... walked up to a guy that was gutting my deer.. I just said "all I want is my arrow" - he said it came by his stand and he shot it.

I can let you know where we hunt the first weekend and if it was any good.

Marshy woods on the south half. Hard woods, ridges and valleys on the north half. People all over the place! If you find a spot with no people, stick with it. Your first year is tough not knowing anything. The only thing I would say is not to be in any big rush to get out there the first morning, cause you wont know where you are going anyways. Just pick out an area, and start walking right at first light. Then sit all day, cause just like anywhere else, people get impatient and push deer around all day long. Hope you are good at hitting deer on the run, cause 95% of them are.

im in the same boat you are, i got in the 2nd week too and have no idea what its going to be like. But it is only like a 5 min drive from my house and im hopeing its as good as its talked up to be

Answers in order of your questions:

1. Being it is your first year (this is my 2nd year), wait until you get a little light in the sky before you let loose in the woods. Lots of guys in the woods so deer will be moving everywhere.

Best to just scout that first morning, afternoon and then get set-up that evening and have a plan for all day Sunday.

2.Every one enters in at the same gate. IF you get there early, you'll be closer to the front than the back. You'll catch my drift when you see how long these lines get. Once in the camp, you are able to drive on most roads inside the base.

3.ABSOLULTELY NO SCOUTING can be done prior to Saturday. Your first year will more than less get some of the green of that nose of yours.

4.Just like any other hunt, but with more archers in the woods. Be smart and aware of your surroundings. Everything in the base looks good, so pick a spot and give it some time. With all the hunters, deer will always be moving through the different areas.

I'm looking forward to going this year as well, so keep us posted on how you do whne you get back. I'll do the same.

Jeez, no wonder I didn't draw this year! grin.gif I've hunted there four different times, and the first year it's pretty much find a spot and stick it out, as stated, the deer move quite a bit because of the pressure. If it was my first time up, I'd probably start on the West side and try to find a decent looking place to hunt there. I'd also not be in any hurry to find a spot, you might as well wait for first light and scout on the fly. That being said, it's a big place, and that big buck might show up anywhere. Remember to keep an eye out for others, and respect their spot, nobody likes to be 'bumped'. Good luck to you all, & shoot straight.

I've hunted in Ripley for over 10 years. What these guys are saying is good advice for your first year.

I will throw you a bone...most everyone sails right by this area. Every one thinks you have to go way up to the north end or the west side but I knew a guy who hunted the ridge along the west side of the road about a mile or two up from the gate and he said that he had deer going by him all day. He ended up taking a 7 pt that year. I haven't talked to him in years so I don't know if he still hunts that area anymore. At least it would be a good spot to start with and then if it doesnt pan out you could spend the rest of the day exploring. I see most of my deer in the 1st 4 hours of the hunt.

It took me 5 or 6 years to find the spot where I hunt now. I've hunted all over that place. There are hunters everywhere but don't get discouraged about that because they are the biggest reason that the deer are moving.

I could go on forever, but I'll leave it at this.

Good luck,

Nels