• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

90 or 115 4-stroke

biguns

Question

I read a review that said the Suzuki 90 or 115 4-stroke is the best. The dealer i talked to has a yamaha on the new rig that i want(90 or 115). Anything wrong with yamaha? Good or bad remarks about either are welcome. Also, i don't care about top speed and think that the 90hp would troll down slower than the 115 on a mr. pike17. Is this right? Thanks, Mark.

13 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure the 90 is just a tuned down 115. At least that is how the Merc. version is. Low end should be about the same. I'd go for the 115. I have the 115 Suzuki and it is a nice engine - I wouldn't hesitate to by the Yamaha though.

I don't own a 115 Yamaha personally but a close friend has one. Seems like a very good motor to me. very quiet, good mileage. Can't say one is better than the other. Own a 60hp Suzuki myself, but that's not apples to apples. I think you'd be happy with the Yamaha. Good Luck!Bobcat

biguns,
I'm not certain of that. When I was motor shopping a couple years back, the 90 and 115 were built off the same block and nearly identical engines (the 115 was just knocked down a bit to make a 90). I don't think you'll see a big difference in low end speed, hopefully you can get replies from some guys with each on actual GPS speeds for trolling.

If you are really concerned with low end speed, the 115 Suzuki trolls down slower than all others due to the gear reduction. That is one reason I went Suzuki.

I have a 90 Yamaha 4 stroke on a 175 T-Pro. It does not troll slow enough for lindy rigging unless there is a pretty decent chop on the water. Great motor though, smooth and quiet, have not had any problems with it at all.

For many or most applications in calm weather, none of the motors you're talking about will troll down slow enough for me. However, Suz or Yammy 90 or 115- all combos of these motors are nice. You'll be happy with whichever of these you choose.

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

The Yamaha 90 and 115 are not the same motor. The 90 is a carbed motor and the 115 is a EFI motor. Would stay away from the carbed, just old technology and real touchy on gas quality. Yamaha 115 and suzuki/johnson 90 and 115 both efi and both really good motors.