• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help- looking to get into archery

LaVoi

I just have a quick question. I am looking to get into bow hunting this fall and would like to purchase a bow as soon as possible so I have a few months to practice. I know little about bows and was wondering where to look for a place that sells used bows, preferably in the St. Cloud area.

I am pretty sure the is a big archery shop in St. Cloud, kinda on the west end of town. I am sure they would have them. Otherwise, if your in Bemidji, stop in at Bluewater Bait and talk to Mark...he always has some for a good price. I would recommend starting out with a mid-range bow to see if ya like it first, you can always upgrade later! Good luck!

Thanks for the help, I went to archery country and was very impressed with their knowledge and helpfulness, however they didn't have much of a selection in my price range. My next stop will be at Mike's.

Finding good used bows at good price is tough, most people hold onto there old bows or pass them onto friends and relatives. Keep making the rounds of the archery shops, hopefully you'll find one. In fact, I have a Golden Eagle that I'd sell at a decent price. smile.gif I had kept it as a spare, but I'm on the third year with my new Golden Eagle and haven't taken the other one out of the case. Its a high poundage bow - 65 to 80 pounds and basically it got to be too much for me. If you're a strapping young man at about 6 foot, it might work for you. Let me know. Though I am leery of selling it to a first timer, one of the biggest archery problems is people shoot too heavy of poundage on their bows.

Blackjack, yes I am a young man, but standing at 5'7" with my shoes on sounds like that bow may be a bit much for me. Thanks for the help though.

LaVoi- unfortunately if you want to get a quality bow, you are going to pay a little more than you are probably expecting. You probably found that out first hand down at Archery Country. HOBBY's aren't cheap smirk.gif

I forgot to mention Sportsman's Warehouse, the guys there are knowledgable and they have a different selection of bows than Archery Country.

Scheel's carries the HOYT line.....the manager up, Charlie, is a good source to learn from too.

Keep searchin', you'll find that right bow!

Lavoi, let us know what you come up with. Keep checking out the archery shops, you'll find something. Do it soon, other hunters will have the same idea that you do. Be persistant, it will be worth it when you're sitting in that deer stand on Nov 1 and you see that eight point coming right by your stand. Archery is totally different than gun hunting, its more of an adrenelin rush, with gun hunting its more reaction. Its worth the pursuit. good luck!

Wat price range are you looking at i picked up a brand new pse nova extreme for 200 bucks or soo on sale from cabelas and it seems like a really nice first bow(its my first one too)I got the 55 to 60 pound draw nice bow IMO

LaVoi,

Keep me posted on what you find and how you do. I am curious. Have you tried talking your Dad into giving bowhunting a try? If I recall, he and I were talking about bowhunting the last time the family got together. (Taking a guess from your name/locations as to your identity.)

S.Roddy grin.gif

Hey there, nice to see someone that I know on here. I finally found a used bow so now I just need to get it accessorized and get practicing. Yeah dad sure is thinking about getting into the bow hunting. I think he will now that he started renting some land that also comes with excellent deer habitat. I know I can't wait myself to get out there this Fall.