• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many different species has your pointer pointed???

gspman

Just to get some activity going. How many species has your pointer pointed? No game farm or domestic birds please. Just honest to goodness wild game birds.

My now deceased Sammy pointed pheasant, quail, and ruffed grouse.

My current dog Dixie has only pointed pheasants. Hopefully that will change this fall wink.gif.

My 1.5yr GWP Leyna has only encountered and pointed pheasants as far as game birds go.

Other bonus species include...

whitetail

feral cats

rabbits

otter

squirrel (wounded, some raptor must have dropped it)

toads in the backyard

and... an ermine inside a log

I've shot Ruffed Grouse, Woodcock, Sharptail Grouse, Pheasant, Hungarian Partridge and Rabbits over my oldest GSP. I'm hoping to add Spruce Grouse, Quail, Prairie Chicken, and Chukkar before he dies.

The young pup has Grouse, Woodcock, Pheasant, and Sharptails shot over points so far. He is still an (Contact US Regarding This Word) however and bumps more than he points.

My Brits have points on bobwite quail, turkey, prairie chicken, sharptail, ruffs, huns, pheasants, woodcock, and mallards (really).

Add chukar and bobwhite on the game farms.

Deer, squirrel, bunnies, and possibly a bear ... never know what actually happened - except it was loud and my dog quickly came back into me.

Current GSP only has game farm pheasants shotover her so far (she came home w/ us in Feb of this year) but she has pointed ruffies up at our shack. My old GSP had pheasants (IA, SD, MN), huns (IA), sharpies (MN), ruffies (MN), quail (IA), mallards (MN,jump shooting), woodcock (MN, pointed it....would not pick it up!), and locked on point on a wild turkey once in IA.

My lab has pointed pheasant, huns and quail for wild birds.

He also pointed the neighbors tropical bird (cockatou (sp??) maybe) that clumbsily flew with clipped wings from the neighbor kid's shoulder into our yard. My dog, on a tether, went up to the bird, pointed it, grabbed it when it moved and brought it back to my wife. Fortunately for the bird my dog didn't squeeze the bird very hard. My wife was able to take the bird from the dog's mouth and return it to the terrorized neighbor kid.

I forgot about the Turkeys! My dogs have had dozens of points on Turkeys in the past few year. Nothing like thinking you are walking in on a grouse and then having one of those B-52's take off. I had 4 of them take off in unison one time from a mixture of popple slash and white oak. They were breaking branches the whole way up. It was like a plan taking off from the woods. In some states you can take them with a dog. Can you imagine taking one on the wing over a dog and getting a retrieve. That would be one to tell from a rocking chair when you're an old codger.

About 9 or 10 yrs ago there was a group of 12 us who went out to MN Horse & Hunt. They had a special on at the time where if you released I think it was 25 birds they would release one turkey for free. I was hunting with my father-in-laws GSP at the time and she locked on point on this thorn bush that was kind of out in the middle of the field in some tall grass. I figured here comes a rooster right? Wrong....the whole bush starts to shake and this B-52 commences take off. Jesse, the dog, takes off after it nipping at it's tail feathers.....I had to wait until it was a good 35 yds out before it had gotten enough altitude to safely shoot it!! The best part was watching this little 45 lb female GSP trying to pick the bird up for me!! I still laugh out loud when I remember that one!!

One other one I have to share, anyone who hunts with an overzealous (spelling) partner will enjoy this. I was out with my Dad, Father-in law, and Bro-in-law ( who henceforth shall be referred to as "hank" to protect his remaining dignity) working some set aside along a RR line in Iowa one opening day and Hank keeps cautioning us to "don't be unready, she's (his dog) real birdy". This had been going on for a while when his dog locks up on point on this old metal 5 gal paint can. Of course Hank is all excited and is convinced that there is the biggest rooster ever sleeping in this pail. His dog breaks point and starts acting wierd, hair on her butt starts to bristle, she growls a bit..... the rest of us start to back up fast but not Hank, no, he is still convinced that there is a bird to be had so he lifts up the pail. Well..... the old skunk who was sleeping in the pail wakes up about this point and sticks his head out of the pail and he and Hank are looking each other eye to eye. I swear Hank could have beat Carl Lewis in a foot race as he was at least 75 yds away before the can even hit the ground!!!

My GSP has pheasants in wild and game farm, both a dead and live turkey wild, huns in the wild, and both chukars and quail during training and game farms.

Also a couple of deer (live and dead) and a really angry muskrat that got caught on shore.

Plenty of rabbits! Over the last two days, she has caught and killed two baby bunnies in the yard (no points!) and a third one escaped with a back leg that wasn't working. Needless to say I have one #$%^&*-off spouse right now as she keeps catching them with the kids around and the squelling from the bunnies and the screaming from the kids has about got one male owner trying to discuss natural "fur and feather" instincts a kick where this owner doesn't want a kick! I don't know what it is about her not pointing them or maybe she is pointing them and then breaking when they finally jump----right now she is leash or cable only in the yard on the bosses orders and I've been told to build a kennel as this was the "last straw". I plan to "forget" the kennel orders and hope this one slips away.

My buddies dog brought a live rabbit inside the house one night. He said the dog dropped it right at his feet, then chased the thing around the living room for about 2 minutes all the while knocking over furniture, and breaking lamps. It must have been hilarious....for me anyway.

Rabbits. Dogs love rabbits. Dixie loves sight pointing them along with the dickie birds in the yard.

One thing to note with rabbits. They are notorious carriers of tapeworms. So if your dog has been eating the rabbits it catches then keep an eye on it's stools for tapeworm segments. My Dixie came in the back yard last winter with a frozen partially eaten rabbit carcas and sure enough a few months later I noticed this little white thing moving in her stool. A live tapeworm segment. Yech.

Maggie my 10 yr old GSP has pointed:

Chukar, Valley Quail, Sage Grouse, Blue Grouse, Spruce Grouse, Ruffed Grouse, Pheasant, Hungarian Partridge, and a big old Tom Rio Grande turkey. And all within 2 hours of home.

Hey tripleplay sounds like you got yourself a kennel job this summer. I think you should wait until August when its 95 above and 90% hummidity. I been around those Hammers long enough to know I will be seeing a kennel at your house the next time I am over. They don't let you get out of anything (between you and me of course).

How have things been this spring for your tribe down south in Andover?? That sure was some good news about Ellie that the Cancer hadn't spread.

Talk to you soon. Leave a post for some time on the Lake of the Woods page I frequently look at it and dream about boating a nice Walleye!!

Oh yeah did Steph tell Mary that I caught and released a 54 in sturgern on April 1st this year? I was walleye fishing on the Rainy River in a boat and hauled it in after 45 minutes of fighting. Best fish fight of my life so far. I show you the photos sometime.

grin.gifgrin.gif

talk to you soon sorry this post was off the subject

10 month old GSP named Dudly!!

6 weeks----4months of age: door knob's, water dish, fridge, stove, robins, the boat and the wife.

4 mths-----7 mths of age : rabbits, any small bird, piegons, kids playing with the flash light wink.gif, deer and again the wife!

7mths------to present : lots of pheasents, chukar, quail, dorr knobs, fridge and the wife grin.gif

Ya he's a dork once in a while but you just got to love him.......Oh Ya, he also loves to eat minnows while fishing with dad...

FISHING-AROUND

Wicky,

At present I continue to have very selective memory at home and can not even spell the word kennel let alone say it and in no way can I build one!!!

So far no further bunny incidents but that might be from the fact that she hasn't been loose since in the yard.

I'm trying to avoid the LOW forum because it hurts too much even to look at it and know that I'm not up there catching fish.

Those sturgeon do sound like a lot of fun to catch. By the way, I had to show more restraint than I've ever had to in Alaska a couple of weeks ago! Watching my wife's two brothers "chumming" over the side of the boat for halibut on different days was about as much as this guy could handle without jumping on top with both feet. I guess restraint was the best option as future trips to Alaska and of course some decent pheasant hunting were potentially being held over my head.