• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chequamegon, hot pond questions?

Sounds like fun, I wonder how hard it is to plan on a calm summer night. I'll be over there at the end of May for some smallie fishing. I've gone about 5 years now except last year I missed it due to the weather. What month would be the best and what size boats will work for the area for night trolling?

Yooper, I will mail ya.

And for a night trolling bit, anytime from about the second week of May into August will work. May, we are talking about post spawn fish that are putting on the feed bag and are still pretty close to shallow structure... Into June-August, we could find fish in numerous spots throughout the bay. I love fishing them whenever and where-ever. And for a calm night, who knows when that would be tongue.gif.. It's up to you guys, as I am pretty flexible when I can go. I wouldnt mind trying a trip here in the next couple of weeks and then a later trip in the summer. And from experience, I have found fishing is much better at night the closer it is to the full moon period. The fish really seem to feed heavily into the night during this time.

So anyone up for a trip, say around the third or fourth week of May, and see what is happening out there? I have my boat where two other people can jump in.

I'm available May 16th-20th, 25th,26th and then I have long weekends, the first two in June. Took vacation for the Michigan walleye opener, but that pales in comparison to fish the "hog" pond! Mail me if need any details.

I think the smallies are doing so well because of the size limit. I like the limit where it`s at. We have a lake here in Illinois where the limit was 18" for years. The smallie fishing was great, than the DNR got the bright idea to drop the size limit to 15". Well I bet you can guess and your right the fishing went down in just 2 yrs. Now it`s hard to even catch one in a days fishing. mad.gif Limits are the key and more CPR. I`ll will be up that way late may early june. CAN`T WAIT!!! grin.gif I miss the big pond. frown.gif

WOW. I can't believe there is so much interest in a little ol' bass. They hardly fight at all and taste like dump. wink.gif

JKH, you are a wealth of info. We've been going up for the smallies the last 3 years, usually around the first week of June. Gonna try early this year -- third week of May -- try some different things. And hopefully again end of June. Seems to be less pressure these times. I would love to try the fall but can't bring myself to miss a day of muskie fishin'. Keep the reports and water temps/conditions coming. It's greatly appreciated. If you want to hook up, let me know.

( Trolling for walleyes and can't keep the smallies off? What a problem!! )

Deitz, drop me an e-mail.

rascal

Well I hit the bay today, water temps were in the 45 to 47 degree range... From the Kakagon area over into the Ashland area... Weather was really funny, fronts moving in and out from the west today, snow and rain mixed, but overall the weather was better then what we have been experiencing.. fishing was slow, but I did not fish early hours or late evening, so maybe I missed the bite... Got one decent 'eye and a few other hits. A lot of fish swirling, but could not make them hit for the life of me... That's fishing I guess, two other boats down in the Kakagon area until about noon and I didnt see them getting any action either... I think most 'eyes are spawned out now, and re-couping a bit..... Not much for people fishing the hot pond area, I spent a little time there, and nothing caught...

Here is the pic of the one I caught today...

1cb042905mediumwebview0hr.jpg

Yooper, you should have mail...

Bob, be sure to give me a jingle before you head up.. we will hook up again... this time, no smelt... tongue.gif

rascal, the third week could be good, but with the way the weather has been, the water still could be cold... either way, there should be some bronzebacks roaming the sand cut/kakagon... When you come up, let me know and maybe we can hook up for some fishing...

Jim, got your mail, shot one back. Nice 'eye. This weather stinks doesn't it? Did a little stream trout fishing this evening, was nice walking in the snow we have up here in the U.P.....NOT!!

I am all moved in back on the Island, and now I guess it is finally time to hit the water. I am going to fight all tempations to chase eyes and go ahead and try to troll up some browns! A bit easier to do from my location, not quite the boat ride it is down to the bay. If this weather holds out I'll probably make a run down there this weekend or mid next week. Sounds like the fish may need a little rest anyways, but should be darn close by the sounds of things. Happy to hear the fish are in post spawn, should be feed bag time aye?

I'll post a report sometime in the next few days. Oh yeah, was rigging my gear up this a.m. and realized all of my crankbaits are MIA, ouch! Hopefully they are back in Mpls, and not lost in the move, otherwise some lucky sun of a gun may have hit the jackpot on about $500 worth of crankbaits/stick baits.

My e-mail address is [email protected], definately interested in some night trolling, if my schedule permits it, if not oh well, good luck fishin fellas.

Dietz, you bet, give a holler as the time closes in and we will discuss the details, hopefully by then my work schedule will be in my normal summer hours. Shoot me an e-mail, [email protected]

And chef, most 'eyes are in post spawn mode now. There are so many fish a person can target right now.. Well it is like that all the time, but most of them are really snapping right now.

I went out today on a solo trip, and hooked up three nice 'eyes and two big bronzebacks. Biggest 'eye went about 25". Had to cut the trip short and take the soon to be wife out for some fun on the water. I was using bottom bouncers and harnesses for my inside lines, where all walleyes came on that. And I ran a fast-trac off a planer where both smallies smacked that. Had to move slow though, .5 to 1 MPH on the GPS. All fish caught in and around the inside of the Breakwall in Ashland in 17 FOW. Nice day to be on the water!!