• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chequamegon, hot pond questions?

Hey fellas, sounds like the hot pond has been kickin out some decent fish, I've only fished there a few times(last year)I live on madeline Island spring-fall, and am an avid walleye angler who loves to target trophy fish, (C+R only of course)with some questions about the walleye fishery on the bay and lake itself.

First question concerning the hot pond and nearby srtuctures, those of you that are familiar and fish here often, do you believe those fish attracted to the warm water discharge are dorment fish that hold up nearby by most of the year or is this simply a migrational pattern? I've thrown this one out in discussion with some others in the past, but most the folks I know up in that area are primarily trout fisherman, not much help to a walleye nut like me, thats no shot at the trout anglers by the way.

Another thing I've always wondered if the bay itself has a walleye population of it's own aside from those fish that roam the main lake following schools of forage, I guess what I am trying to say here is the bay similar to a fishery all of it's own that is simply connected to lake superior. Obviously I am sure fish intermingle with both the bay and the big lake, but it seems sensible that there are fish that hang near the head of the bay all year long or wander up into the sloughs or sand cut, etc. but may never make it past long Island. Just a thought, ?

Just something I've thought about since I started chasing eyes up there three years ago, I think there is a decent fishery that doesn't get targeted that much given the great diversity of the area, unfortunately I can't get out and fish as often as I'd like with a busy seasonal work schedule and a 16.5 ft./50hp motor that makes me extremely vulnerable to weather patterns, needless to say I am stuck on the Island more often than not, but safety first, I get plenty of fishing in the rest of the year, but sure would like to know how those do that are able to fish out there extensively, seems to me those of you that have, have been into some good fishing, it has to kich out some great trophy fish, 30+inch range?

Chime in as you like, recent fishing reports greatly welcomed, thanks to all

A good topic! I have only been fishing the Ashland bay for three years now and have caught my biggest walleyes there. One thing that I have found out that for some reason when the water temp reaches a certain mark (usually somewhere in the middle of June to middle of July, depends on how late the ice is on,ect.) the big boys put on the feed bags. I don't know for sure what the eyes are after, young perch, that years smelt fry, shiners, whatever but the eyes can be caught in the middle of the day in 8-12 feet of water. Usually around any weed beds that have started or if you can find old river channels, lanes, sanddunes. There is like a two week window for this action then you have to hunt them down. Same thing goes for the sloughs. I want to think that the bay has its own resident eyes all year, but you know as well as I that the bay is BIG. When you get out by the lighthouse then out and towards Washburn there is some big area of deep water. The eyes have to be out there in the summer suspended, I would think. Only if a guy could spend a whole year fishing every day!! That is what makes the bay so desirable to fish. They are out there! Anybody else have some ideas on this?(If you're willing to give away some secrets grin.gif)

OR,

There is a definite nightbite that happens. There used to be a guide that posted every once in awhile that did very well on big fish at night trolling stickbaits on boards. I have been very interested on heading down there and trying that for myself. Seems to me that he was over on the Washburn side mainly, but cant remember for sure.

If you decide to give it a try one night let me know, maybe i can sneak over there with ya.

Midday shallow weed bites are the best, This is new and very helpful information Yooperhawg, I experienced this on other mainland lakes in MN, never concentrated on these areas on the bay, other than low lite periods. One question for you, share if you like, do you fish live bait, or are you trolling these areas, seems to me a lot of anglers mainly troll the bay for eyes.

I also understand there can be decent oppotunities to those interested in night fishing, I have had only a few chances to do it there myself, I am at the will of using somebody elses rig for that, It can get a little scary heading back to the Island at night (in my boat), or crossing the south channel for that matter, you just never know what the weather is or wind is going to do. Unfortunately it would get a little costly trailering my boat, via the ferry and driving down to Washburn, or Ashland, oh well, can't have it all.

By the way Yooperhwg, whats your biggest from the bay?

biggest one to date is a 29" between 8-10 pounds, actually caught that one last week Wed. Haven't been able to break that 30 inch mark yet but me and my buddy have caught quite a few between 25" and 29". Not true trophies but nice eyes anyway. Every year we learn a little more and I know we will eventually figure out the big pig bite. There is alot to learn out there on the bay. We just troll out on the bay with planers and line counter reels. Usually do best with nightcrawler harnesses and allright with cranks. There really isn't any "structure" so to speak to jig or bobber fish on, except the weeds. We do so well trolling never really stopped to jig or anything. Keep me updated upon any findings you stumble across this year.

P.S. I have heard that the night bite is good out on the bay but never tried it yet. Me and my fishing bud are going to try it this summer. Will try the magnum rapalas to see if the big boys prefer bigger baits, something close to whitefish,suckers,small trout that they probably feed on. I would think anyway.

Sounds like fun, lanterns, head lamps, some raps and some screaming drags. I've got to find time to try the night troll. Any one know what time of year is better. Maybe I should try it after hammering them smallies all day. But thats in May, it might be something to try on a warm summer night.

Good topic, as walleyes in Chequamegon bay are very interesting critters to say the least.. I will give you my opinions on these fish....

First off, for the hot pond area, I believe there is a resident population of fish here in the spring and fall where they move up there right before ice out for the water water discharge (just as a walleye would move up to warmer water in a river, impoundment, or inland lake). But then as water temps increase, they move out into the bay searching for forage and cooler water temps as summer progresses and as the temps drop, some fish mingle back and stay around until ice up, where they move back into the bay. And for these bay fish in particular they roam a lot, but I believe most, try to stick on the available structure as much as possible throughout the year. These fish seem to be much more different then what people are referring to open water walleyes. I have been told, that these bay fish, were plants back in the day and are a totally different strain of walleye then our native river run walleyes, and in particular, their size is much bigger and now naturally reproduce. The bay walleyes you can find from Ashland and over to Washburn waters and would be considered fairly hard to catch in the summer/and mid ice season. Spring, fall, and first ice seasons can produce a lot of fish with big poundage fish.

When it comes to open water nomads, I believe these are our river run walleyes, that come out of the Kakagon, Bad, and even the St. Louis. After spawn, most fish come out of the river and move into the main lake, stretching from in and around deeper water in the bay all the way out into the Apostles (last year, a 10LB walleye was caught off of North Twin 70 feet down over 100FOW by a trout troller). These fish move with the smelt and lake shiner movements and roam until the the last part of summer and start moving back closer to spawning grounds. Like the St Louis River fish, they have been known to come all the way over to Sand Island and York Island, even a St Louis musky was caught in a commercial net a few years ago off of York. I have managed to run across these fish a few times, and it was a blast, the only hard thing is finding them and then trying to decipher a walleye pod between another species suspending (say salmon) on your graph in some parts of the lake. One good population can be found in and around Long Island... From any given day, 18FOW to 60FOW these fish could be roaming.

And for night fishing, it is usually my mainstay for walleye fishing out here, as I am usually working a day shift and start fishing around 6PM. I boated my personal best Lake Superior walleye last season on a hot July night, 33.22" tipping a digital scale at 11.2lbs. This fish was caught at around 11pm, where we boated two others before this one. So night fishing? Yup, I believe it increases your odds at catching 'eyes out here on the bay.

Other then that, I have been experimenting more and more each year on these fish and have found some interesting places and ways to catch these fish. But right now, if I were wanting to go catch some 'eyes, I would hit the Bad River or the shoreline area of Ashland. Either place, you have a good chance of hooking into a pig 'eye.

Jim, that is a nice walleye. You would think at 33.22" at that time of year it would of been around 13 pounds. Must of looked like a monster at night in a light. Awesome fish. I really want to try some night trolling there now. Say is there any where on the bay to troll for trout and salmon with a NE wind. I might head over there this weekend if the winds don't allow me to get out here.

Ran

Yeah, she was a big fish, long, lean, and very mean!! grin.gif

For NE winds, it blew close to a gale here today, she was rocking big time... And it is hard to find a launch site around these parts to get away from a NE wind... Tomorrow it is suppose to lay down a bit, so you might be able to find a place to launch to fish inshore a bit... suppose to be cold though... but to answer your question bluntly, when she blows NE over 10MPH, I try to stay on solid ground... grin.gif

Thanks guys, sounds like a lot of what I was wondering about the bay holds true, including some fish exceeding the 30+ in mark, I have had considerable success with big fish on other fisheries, but never have broken the 30 inch mark, and I've always hoped that Chequamegon had the potential.

Started moving back to the Island, would head back now and start doing some fishing but seems to me that weather isn't going to cooperate anytime soon. It is nice to hear there are other walleye fishing enthusiasts out there fishing the bay, keep the info comin, getting me awfully excited. Thanks tp all FC

Maybe we should all hook up sometime and go chase after some night 'eyes? Let me know if you guys wanna do it, and I can try to plan something for that. Even right now would be good, if we ever get that decent weather back.

Rascal

All I have to say about smallies... they are everywhere now... grin.gif

Seriously, the population of these fish are very high, where I have caught them now over here in some of the local Bayfield marinas. Not many over this way yet, but they are showing up as the population continues to grow.

But as far as in Chequamegon Bay, the fishing is phenomenal for these critters. As of now, these fish are starting to migrate from wintering areas to spawning grounds. And shortly here, a lot of fish will be caught in and around the Sand Cut and Kakagon area, a huge spawning area. It seems these fish come in waves, where you can catch bass on beds and post spawn fish all in the same day. The fish hang around these parts for awhile (you can still find a few in late June), then they move into the bay where they find available structure: such as rock piles, weedbeds, and shore structure. They put on the feed bag and then when fall comes around and temps start to drop they start moving to wintering areas. There is still a lot to be learned about the habits of smallies out in this big lake, such as how far they move, where they really go, and what they really do. I have never caught a smallie out over real deep water, so I really do not know if they suspend and chase after big schools of bait that are constantly moving. My thinking would say that they do not do this, but rather stick to bait fish that hole up in weedbeds, rock piles, wood structure, and etc. I do know that a lot of these fish move great distances to spawning and wintering struture though. It would be interesting to see what someone would find if they tagged some of these fish or put transmitters in them to follow them for a year or two.

But I know that they are thriving well and there are some real brutes in these waters. They still grow slow like all fish in this cold water, so personally I don't think a lot of fish ever reach the minimum size of 22". There are a few fish caught each year over 22", but not many. Most big fish on a average day are a little over 20" and a lot of fish caught around 17"-19". But the weight on these fish are incredible, making them look a lot longer then what they really are.

A lot of people will tell you, just like with most bay species (such as walleyes, northerns, etc, etc) the spring is the best time to catch big smallies. But in my opinion, fall fishing is the time to catch these pigs with the most weight on them. Also, just like walleyes, I catch a lot of smallies at night while trolling. Sometimes it is hard to keep them off your hooks, and weird as it may seem, it can get frustrating when you are catching too many smallies and are not able to keep your lure in the water long enough to hook an 'eye.

Jim,

OK, now you went and did it. Smallies while trolling at night too???? I've gotta sit down with Outdoor Ran and figure out how to get down there for some nighttime trolling action. There is a chance that i may be camping at the city park over memorial day weekend with my in-laws.

I've heard this is usually a great time for multi-species in the sandcut and kakagon area, but was wondering how far it is down to the Bad river mouth area?? My inlaws are from Hurley and many, many moons ago used to camp on the river in the spring and fish near the mouth. I've listened to many stories of big fish over and over. If ma nature cooperated i thought i might hit that area if its not too far for my 17'er. If we dont hit the Bay, looks like we will be at their house and fishing the Gile and a small private lake their cabin is on. Keep those ideas coming, there may be a few very sleepy days at work this summer.

Chris

JKH-I myself have been wanting to hit the smalllies this spring. I get a WI licence each year because of my cabin in Grantsburg. So I dont think it will be all that bad of a drive from there. Does the Smallie season on Che open with the rest of the season or is it always open because its a border water?

Hey guys reagrding those smallies up there, they are amazing aren't they? There is a really good article in the last in-fisherman regarding targeting great lakes smallies that are staged just above or near wintering holes, and then trolling for them when they are in transition, something like that if I remember correctly, point being, definatly worth a try on the bay, I am sure it would be a great way to get into some of those chunky fish this time of year.

I 'd like to second the notion of night trolling for smallies, the biggest fish I've ever come accross(smallies) have been at night, trolling for eyes, boy the bay is a really sweet fishery, pike, walleye, smallmouth, you just never know what you are going to get into.

One thing I'd like to mention, don't want to start any arguments, but from my experiences with some local trout anglers, there exists a great deal of anamosity regarding the smallie population, as if coexisating is not an option, that is all I am going to say about that, I just wish all around, there was a little more respect and conservation in terms of the of all species of fish. Chequamegon bay hs a great deal of potential as a multi specie, trophy fishery, but there still needs to be more selective harvest and education all around, but that is the case everywhere, tis modern day angling.

Enough said, probably be up there by monday, if the wind cooperates I 'll be chasing some species of fish, if not theres always big pike roaming the marinas and other "sheltered" locations.

Deitz... I know BDR and M. Breuer were thinking about coming over this year for smallie fishing, maybe everyone could coordinate a time frame and we all can go out... Later part of May into the first part of June is a good time.... I know Northlander would probably come down too...

Xplorer... For the Bad, I have had success down there for 'eyes, smallies, pike, and crappies. It is a bit of a run from any landing in and around the bay, but usually on a day when the winds are out of the south you can make it. Any north winds are a no no... On average, it is about a 12 mile run.

Chef, I know what you mean about the love em or hate em talks around here about the smallies. These fish sure bring in a lot of folks from all over the country and some guides make most of their money booking trips on smallies. But in turn, other feel like the smallies are eating everything and ruining the fishery out here. But truthfully, in my mind it is not these fish, but in turn how people keep everything they catch out here... We need a turn in mentality for some good solid C&R efforts for some of our fish populations in the Bay. You are correct in saying how this water can be a true trophy fishery for a lot of species, and it was at one time. Especially with pike populations. I do not know how many times I have heard of people catching 40+" pike where they are not released but rather put to the knife. I mean the law allows someone to keep a fish of this size, buy day after day in the spring (and quite a few in the winter) these fish are being caught and kept. And now, you really have to work for a true big pike in these waters, where before as I was growing up in the area, it was pretty easy to catch or at least see a couple 40" pike or bigger on any given day. Hopefully the pike fishery will turn around for the better and we can catch em just like we do with smallies grin.gif!!!

Well Friday, the weather is suppose to switch to the better. So I am gonna go target some pike and 'eyes. Hopefully I will have some good pictures to share...