• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Auger To Buy

LongLost

Question

14 answers to this question

I'd take a look at the new StrikeMaster Lazer Mag Ultra. This is the fastest cutting 2 H.P. available (3 blade design). I'd recommend a 2 H.P. whichever way you go as the 2 H.P. Tecumseh is a much smoother running engine than the 3 H.P.

I'll second the lazer mag ultra. Picked one up last year, after having to return a brand new 3000 with the 3hp because it would not start and run. What ever you buy I would stay away from any 3hp. All three auger makers use the same 3hp so it is not limited to just one brand. And there seems to be a lot of problem with the 3.

O

Just bought a 3hp 10" jiffy stealth, I have had no problems with it running, started in 2 pulls with its first tank fill, warmed it up a bit and no probs.

I recently sold my first jiffy 10" 3hp of a doz years of no probs, very reliable, just figgered its time for a new one.

In my humble opinion.

I think the 2 hp, lazer mag express is all you are going to need. Check out Strikemaster's HSOforum, you will see that the 8" lazer mag express took 1-3 places in the stock auger competition (no modifications). If you are going to get a Strikemaster, try to see if you can talk to Cy at Strikemaster plant. Ask him for his opinions on which Strikemaster to get. Very helpful people.

I had a jiffy, 2 hp legend lightning for 2 years. Didn't really like it because 1) the ice chips sprayed all over the place 2) It would bog down at the last 2 inches before breaking through (that is maybe why they invented the stealth blades)and 3) it's heavier than the xpress.

If I was buying an auger now, it would come down to the lazer mag express or the eskimo shark. I heard the shark just rips through the ice. Try to test a couple out. I am sure if you go to one of the FM get togethers, someone there will let you try it out their auger. I will be at the linwood get together if you want to try out the 2 hp lazer mag express.

Good luck! Also, keep in mind that stores usually clearance them out towards the end of the season.

what Size Blade.......8 or 10" should i go wit....i am lookin for 1 now too.....No panfish....all EYes and Pikes....somedya go up North to a lake that has pan fish but not now...so what size

What size blade? 8" or 10"

For some reason, seems like bigger is always better. But, I've got an 8" Strikemaster Lazer and love it. Never had any problems with walleye through that 8" hole and got a 40" 18lb Pike through it. It was a little tough to get its nose coming up the hole. I could see where the 10" would have been nicer in that situation.

Suppose it also depends if you're gonna dangle a transducer and aqua-vu down there. 10" would give you a little extra room.

10" is overkill in my opinion. I sold my 10" and bought a 9" Ultra. If they had this auger in an 8", I would have bought that. The 8" is big enough for everything you'll ever do and you save a bit on weight, easier cutting, less room taken up in the sled, etc.

Here's my .02 cents - go with the Strikemaster. I've had a Lazer Mag since '97 and have had no problems. Very easy starting and runs great. I agree - the 2hp Tecumseh is a nice little engine.

I bought the Barracuda 8 inch in 2001. It's light and it cuts like a demon! Starts in 2 pulls everytime. Can't beat the price/performance. You'll love it. I agree two HP is plenty. Don't rule them out. The guy at Vados told me if I didn't like the Barracuda he'd let me trade it in for something else. I kept the 'Cuda.