• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

great grey owl

i grabbed the fuji and took a ride sunday morning by kelsey on hwy#7(not to far from sanitary harry's)..i heard there's been a lot of great grey owl's that have moved south from canada because of lack of their food supply...apparently they've set up camp in this area....saw this one on a telephone pole....

DSCF1711copy.jpg

lol!..i have to admit for as long as i've been looking at pics on different parts of the forum...i missed the "birdwatching" one.....go figure!..i certainly would have posted the pic there had i known.....if the administrators see this...feel free to move the owl pic to that section or delete it...i'm going to post the same pic(and others of my birding outings) there from now on......thanks buzzsaw!

My son and I were taking the dogs for a walk through the woods and the two dogs kicked one of these beasts up off of a killed rabbit. It flew about 10 feet in the air (about 20 feet from the rabbit) and sat on a branch. We were on a trail and walked within 30 feet of it. It finally had enough of us and flew down the trail over our heads. My 5 year old was amazed. Pretty wild to see one that close for that amount to time. They are huge!

thanks dan!....i puchased a fugi s5000 last year(this years model s5500 replaces it)..(350 bucks but much cheaper now)...3.2 megapix...or 6 megas (interpolated RAW mode)...the reason i really purchased it is that it has a 10x zoom lens(for taking shots as i just posted as the great grey owl)..i have since added a teleconverter(zoom) lens to it....an olympus t-con 17..(98 bucks)...brings the total to 17x zoom for those faraway bird shots.(the owl pic here was taken about 50 yards away so the zoom was invaluable) camera uses an "xd card"..128 mb's(about 40 bucks)..a great camera.great color!...there's certainly a lot of them out there that have a high zoom factor since i purchased this one...thanks again dan

thanks ole!...to be honest with you...i haven't "frequented" sanitary harry's for many years...the last time i stopped in there was probably 20 years ago....the first time i stopped there ...there was unfinished pizza on the counter along with half drunk tap beer!(and other "thinghy's" on the counter ,crusts of half eaten sandwiches spilled milk)....a week later i stopped in again with a hunting buddy.....the same pizza and beer were still sitting there...hence the name...lol!....i never walked through the door again....lol!...not sure if flo is still there or not...

Great picture johnny. My son and I saw one in Carlos Avery a few weeks ago and it let us walk right underneath it. We took a few pictures but I still need to get them developed.

i just took a chance when i tried fixing your pic...chisago...and it worked!..lol!....i "darkened" or blued out your URL on your owl post knowing that the word [image] wouldn't work..and copied your URL so as to save it(omitting your [image]that you typed in)..it's a little complicated to try and explain it when one goes through all the steps without actually being at the computer to show a person...i copied(and pasted) your url and saved it to my computer(my pictures)...then forwarded the pic to "my" photo site which is "village photo" ...and sent it to our site we're on now...my "village photo" site has a couple of different ways to post a pic.the one i chose requires one to add the "and...with the URL placed in between it...maybe your photo hosting site doesn't work that well without complications..some don't.....i could suggest you try mine if you would like...knowing it is very user friendly and works without a lot of "glitches"...here's the site that i use...i hope that this helps you out rather then stay with the photo site you're at now(of course there's many others)...it works for me.. smile.gif

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-5/714330/imagew2.jpg

I saw 10 of these owls yesterday on Crow Wing cty 11 where it turns into Atkin cty 22. So what is it that people are worried they are going to kill off here? I can't remember if I heard it was grouse, or is it just whatever they find?

Where I saw them yesterday was a 10-15 mile stretch. Gonna do some damage to the critters!

Great Greys typically don't eat birds, but rather rodents with voles being thier favorite. There is a vole shortage up north, thats why we are seeing so many this far south. Metro - you saw one in Carlos? That is as far south as I have heard them coming. Very interesting, my dad is a big birder so I get all my info from him....