• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Colored waxies or eurolarve?

bmc

I've got a 2004 Infisherman ice fishing magazine and it shows a guy, I believe it's Dave Genz with a huge gill. On his jig are 2 waxies and one of them is blood red. Any idea on where a guy can get that kind of colored waxies or eurolarve? I know they color them, but I've never seen that deep of a color.

Brian

bmc. a far as where to buy, i'll have to leave that open to some one else. ealier one of the guys told that he creates his own colored waxies by taking some of the sawdust ( no worms) put it in a tin and soaks it with food coloring. after the shavings are saturated he then allows it to dry out. once dry then he puts waxies, etc. in the colored shavings and after a while they will absorb the coloring.

Vados Bait in Spring Lake Park on HWY 65. You can buy bulk also. I buy the colored maggies by the 1,000's. It's Genz in the pic and those are maggots not waxies. Most bait shops carry them and sell them only by the tin.

I've seen genz and the boyz fish the eurolarva as well! However, I think the secret to the maggots color is that they spread different food colors over the meat they let the maggots feed on thus causing them to turn the color of they choose. I personaly think waxies are just as good!

I just received another shipment of eurolarve from Vados last week. A couple of years ago I was at a sporting goods store and Dave Genz happened to be there at the same time. He showed me how to hook three euros on a hook and hook them in a way that they stayed alive and wiggle on the hook. I have to say I have better luck on euros than regular waxies in the winter.

I found some colored maggots at my local bait shop. After getting on a superub crappie/gill bite yesterday afternoon, my preferance has changed from waxies to maggots. I probably caught 5-6 fish on maggies before I had to re-bait, where it's usually 1 fish and re-bait with waxies. I'm interested in this hooking method for maggots too!

Brian

Eurolarvae are great bait, tougher than wax worms if hooked correctly, and they wiggle on the hook, bluegills love them, however there are occasions when they definitely prefer wax worms.

To answer the question about proper hooking, notice they have a pointed end and a flat end. Just nick them under the skin on the flat end, fine sharp hook points are best, let the wiggle do the rest!

Lately I have been experimenting with tiny plastics on miniature jigs, no bait at all. There have been times when that presentation outfishes live bait.

This past weekend I went to the bait store and he was totally out of waxies and eurolarva. So I decided to try the Berkley Gulp Maggots. These things are sweet. No mess from sawdust, they don't freeze and die, they come in a pack of about a million, you can catch quite a few fish on one maggot,and they catch everything from crappies, gills, perch, northerns and walleyes. I tried them Saturday on a local honeyhole and the fish would not even hesitate to hit when they would come in. I was using a red go-devil and would pinch the maggot in half. I would put the two pieces, one on each treble and leave the third one bare. It kinda looks like a waxie or maggot sitting horizontal under the spoon or you can jig it up and it looks like a fleeing minnow. I took them to Red Lake on Sunday and they work worked great there as well. grin.gif