• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Biggest crappie that anyone has caught

crappieman848

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The largest of these fish out of this lake are all caught in late fall. First couple of weekends of November. Although I have gotten some nice ones through the ice, I have not iced one bigger than 17" in the winter out of there.

heh. now that would be funny. if they follow me around they won't be getting anywhere near that lake. It's up in Morrison County. I, however, will be fishing Lake Phalen in the Metro tomorrow. Found a hole for some nice crappies.

Just read this thread. My best was 17.5 same day a buddy caught a 21 that was a HOG. Didn't weigh mine, buddies was 3.5 lbs.

Before you call me on this I must say that this was a few years back on the Alabama river - we spoke with a ranger who said likely the age was 6-7 years - plenty of food no pike to prey on them (the Gators are GATORS down there..) and seldom too cold so they grow like weeds.

The State record is roughly four and a half pound for both whites and blacks. Limit is 30 day and no smaller than 9 inches.

Away down south in DIXIE! laugh.gif

Lars, a crappie hole on Phalen you say. I have never tried this body of water have at times heard good reports. The nice crappies do not surprise me. I ran into a really good crappie bite on Gervais which is connected to Phalen. That was early ice and the 35 foot hole that was producing the 10ers has dried up...Maybe they migrated to Phalen and thus a new honey whole for you. What size were you getting into on Phalen?

Mr. Pike, sorry it took me a while to respond. Anyway, Phalen has got to be my favorite Metro fishery. The crappies I've gotten out of there all run between 8-11. I've talked to guys who've fished the lake for years and their even surprised. I've got one little stretch out there where the crappies are nearly year round. They just move deeper in winter. In the spring (right at iceout) they are tight,tight,tight in the northwest corner.

The lake doesn't have much fishing pressure and is incredibly deep and fertile. Nice walleyes, crappies are good when you can find them, and I've never made a trip to the lake where I've been skunked, or didn't catch a pike for that matter. One will do themselves well by spending some time fishing the lake in the summer and fall. It really helps you to understand it during winter.

It's been about 6 years ago, but was fishing last ice with friends, and caught a crappie just shy of 18" and weighed on a certified scale at 2.85 lbs. Started celebrating until my friend pulls up a true 18" fish that weighed 3.1 lbs. Go figure...Oh well we really celebrated then. Now they are on a single mount, and every 5 years we have an exchange party.

Lars, Your 23in. crappie that you lost by the boat with a girth about the same would weigh a little over 15 pounds. Shattering the state record by ten pounds. WOW! I did alot of research and the biggest crappie in length that I could find in the U.S. was 22in. Not that there isn't big crappies in "your" lake but dont expect us to believe that you are catching 20+ inchers without some pictures. If you had time to weigh them you certainly had time to take a snapshot next to a tape. Just my 2 cents. P.S. Where can this elusive video be seen?

Lars-

Back on 5/5/04 we also spoke of these very large crappies and this small lake (see 18 inch crappie thread). You stated at that time that you did have pictures but they were not digital. You stated that you would scan them and post them. I am still very interested in the video or the pictures. I think others are as well. Is there anyway you can post them?

my best just came this past sun night on red, pulled two 14 inchers before i got a 15 incher. i must have measured that thing about a dozzen times before it kicked in how big it was.

went to the taxidermist on mon. never did get a weight on it.

jim