• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Biggest crappie that anyone has caught

crappieman848

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dan, Welcome to Fishing Minnesota. Here you will find all your answers to any questions, topics or ideas about the outdoors. Well to personally anwser your question my biggest crappie is a 1 lb. 4oz. crappie.

~Matt

Thanks,

Yeah i cant wait to hear of all the nice size fish that people catch. It seems like the winter is over, but we still have lots of time to do some nice ice fishing.

thanks again for the welcome and im glad to hear about this forum.

thanks,

Dan

Welcome crappieman!!!!!!! The Biggest crappie that I have ever caught was 2.5lbs. That day was crazy beause I accidentally came across a huge school of MASSIVE SLABS when I was perch fishing! I think that day the smallest one was 14" and the biggest was 16 1/2" and I caught my limit. I had my aqua view facing up and I could see hundreds of them and they were all MAMMOTH SLABS!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD FISHIN!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if this is true with any one else, but every time it seems like someone catches a nice size crappie, the rest of you catch all day are huge as well. When i caught mine it was the same way. I mean we caught are limit right away because we would just pull em in cast after cast. But odes any seem to notice that when you catch a nice one that all day long you catch nice ones? Thats just me i guess.

Thanks,

Dan

Ya i read that yesterday. I couldnt beleive it. A 6 pound crappie is huge. Im still in shock, when i saw that my mouth dropped and I kept saying to myself that it wasnt possible. But im not one to judge what poeple say so it could be 100% true. Oh well.

Dan

my biggest fish was 2 pounds, many years ago, I was told to try forest lake, it was the only fish I caught, well worth the trip. my uncle caught a 3.1 pounder last winter in wright co.

the state record is 5 pounds, and that has been there for a while. a 6 pounder, well it may be possible, but not likely.

16" on a tip up with a sucker minnow crazy.gif minnetonka howards point area about 9 yrs ago. I am looking at it right now grin.gif It was just before dark. It was the last thing i expected to pull up when the flag went off.

Did'nt weigh it, but got a 14 incher out of Red lake, really nice fish!

I caught one about 15 inches,years ago out of the Mississippi, had it mounted and one time while doing some painting, we took it down from the wall, set it off to the side and the dog got it....turned it into confetti before we even knew what happened! frown.gif

Yeah about mounting. The crappie i caught was the biggest out of our lake that we know of. So my dad and I were going to get it mounted but the taxiderist lost it. I was so mad I didnt know what to think. So i dont trust taxidermist anymore unless i know them personally or a close friend.

Dan

You are a bigger man then I, my friend! If I catch an 18 inch Crappie, it is'nt going to see the lake again!

It's new home will be on the wall, right above this computer monitor, so I can look at it everytime I come down here and also, this is one room that is off limits to the dog.

You know, that taxidermist thing, you have to be careful with them sometimes, check em out real good.

I've heard of lost items such as yours, getting the wrong item back, and just plain crappy jobs. I'm sure this happens in relatively few cases, comparatively speaking, but comparisons don't make much difference if it is your trophy that takes the hit!

My nephew got a huge Crappie out of Bowstring, over a pound and a half. He shopped around and found a taxidermist he thought would work and when the fish came back, the job was good, but it was the wrong fish!

The guy swore up and down it was his, but the fish he got back was a pound at best.

My son had a Brook Trout mounted and when it came back, it looked like it was made out of clay and like it had been painted by a kid? He raised the roof, got a huge discount, but it did'nt help much, his trophy still looked like dump.

Pictures, measurements, and whatever other type of documentation you can get and stick with the tried and true, even if it costs you a few bucks more. If, even after that, you still get less then desirable work, make some noise and follow through!

Listen to the Grebe! Chain of possession can be hard to prove if you are not careful. Any time you take a fish or an

animal in for mounting, take at least two friends to witness the transaction. Have your own pictures and physical measurements. If the taxidermist wants them, give only duplicates. Be sure that one picture includes yourself with the animal to mount. And be darned sure to tell the taxidermist that you own the critter and that any replicas of whatever can be made only with your permission. Get a timeline for picking it up and do so promptly when called.

I have seen some ugly things come from taxidermists, but fortunately the one I use is a very credible person. Not all of them have the ethics found in my favorite.

Thanks Grebe and CrappieTom for the info. I didnt personally bring the fish to the taxidermist, my dad did. I know that he brought the picture of me and the fish with him when he went to go get it. But to no avail it was gone like i said earlier. The thing that got my dad upset was that he knew the person. But if i ever catch any sort of nice size fish that i would actually spend money to mount i will for sure to more research and bring friends with, pictures, whatever is needed.

By the way, to add more to the topic if that is alright i was wondering if you guys could tell me what you all caught the crappie on. What type of jig brand name etc.

Thanks again for the info and all the great responses,

Dan

laugh.gifMine personally is too small to mention but I took my 5 yr old out one day and he got a 15" that went 1lb 7oz. the great part was that this was his first fish. Of course I had to keep it and even put it on the wall for him laugh.gif

A few years back, the river in town was loaded down with those big Red Lake Crappies. Well, they are gone now... all went down stream to the red river, but a few remain! I remember many days in the spring and summer catching more than 50 13" - 15" crappies in an hour. As fast as you could cast, you would catch them.

They were well over a pound each. You know what I mean... fishing so great that you would toss in the 2"plastic... wait a 4 count and set the hook in confidence without feeling a bite, knowing a fish would be there.... and they were, and that's how it was. This kind of action was in our town for 4-5 years, from 99-2003... it was AWESOME!

I went fishing and practiced catch and release just about every day. Anywhere's from 40 to over 100 fish being caught in one area. There were several great spots to catch them in and around town. Some of the fun memories were when the big pike would swoop in and grab the fish. When the crappies would shut down, I had learned to have a bucktail at my side, and toss it in for some very large pike action. AWESOME!

I won't go into detail regarding the wanton waste that happened at times by the locals, or the chronic poaching that took place...

It all ended, as if over night three years ago. The ice went out and the fish just weren't in their usual haunts. I still catch one from time to time. I have caught 4 this year. Three through the ice. They were 15.5 inches each, about 2.5 inches wide, solid, gorgeous fish.

Sniff, sniff... oh the memories.

PS- Tom I couldn't find that 6 # crappie story...