• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sled help

beaverlakeman

Tonight got approved for a sled. Only sled i can get for the money at dealer is a 2002 xc edge 500 red with 732 miles for $3,999..

first question. Is this sled with the low miles worth that much? dealer said book value on that sled is 4,400.

2. How is this sled?

3. pros and cons

4. I am an aggresive trail rider, good trail sled?

5. Anything else you can mention about this sled would be greatly appreciated.

I will be buying this sled between 4pm and 6pm tomorrow night, so anything you all can say to insure my decision will be awsome.

thanks a bunch in advance,

Id say it's not worth 4,000. 3 g's tops maybe even less, the market is so flooded right now, sleds aren't worth much now a days. Yeah its a good trail sled, it's an adge made for more aggressive riding. It's should suit you just fine. Take a look in the paper I bet there's a whole lot of sleds in that year range for less tha 4 g's.

I'm guessing you could probably find that sled new in the crate at a dealer for around $4,000.

Keep looking and checking dealers. There are a lot of 2002 carry overs out there still that are brand new and have never been sold.

I've found my '02 ZR still brand new at dealers for a couple grand less than I paid. That is a little frustrating. If I wait 1 more year, I might be able to pick up a brand new one for half price.

hey beav,

as far as the low milage, don't trust it unless ya know the previous owner, way to easy to unhook the speedo and keep them clean and try to sell for a premo price. now, what are ya looking for, go fast or get around? like the others have said lots of carry over sleds on the lots,and as far as the private sales, they will be less than the lots, the dealers have to make money to stay open,but it gives ya some place to start when it comes down to pricing with a dealer.if all else fails check rvsports in TRF, might be aways from ya but lots of carry overs and most will come with extended warranty.

just some thoughts.

I bought a brand new skidoo MXZ trail 700 in the crate for 4K this winter (I also had to pay freight and setup but it was still very cheap with a 1 year warranty). I would recomend visiting your skidoo dealer because all the older design non-REV sleds are getting sold to dealers at a discounted prices. The sled your looking at will also go down in value since polaris is changing all their 2006 sleds to the IQ platform. The market is flooded with low mile used sleds right now. It's a great time to buy, so take your time. I bought my sled from Rich at seaburg sports in detroit lakes MN. I think they had a MXZ 800 trail at a great price left. You can find some real deals used, but if your inexperienced I would pay to have a dealer inspect a used sled before you buy it so you know what your getting into.

thanks for all the tips and help.. I did buy that xc 500. I tried for a xc700 04 carry over but couldnt get approved. This was the only sled that i could really get.

As far as the milage, the guy that owned it before was a rich 50+ year old that never rode it. he was the original owner, and the dealer said he is a very well known guy. There isnt even any rust on the pipes..

Took it down the ditch when i got home and the thing hawls (Contact US Regarding This Word).. My mother has a 96 indy 500 and thats what i am used to riding. The difference between these 2 sleds is un friggin believable...

I was talking to the dealer about the different sleds (polaris) and I figured he was going to give me the run around as most salesman do. But he was pretty (Contact US Regarding This Word) straight forward. and taught me somethings that i never knew. Like,

the weight difference between the xc500 and xc700 is only 10 pounds.

The 500 and 600 are the same motor as well as the 700 and 800 are the same.

The top end speed difference between the xc500 and 700 is 3-5 miles per hour.The only reason why the bigger sled is faster is it has a bit more top end power. He told me that I could line up with a xc 700 and stay right with it till 60-70 mph before the 700 will start pullin away.

So basically he said to go with the 500 because the difference isnt much and I'd save over 2,000 dollars.

I really give him props for telling it like it was.

thanks again for all the info.

Oh, btw, are any of you doing the poker run in febuary? I believe it is in the detroit lakes area. I could be wrong though. I will be participating for sure.

Congratulations on the sled purchase beav.

The 500/600 & 700/800 more than likely use the same crankshaft/case but just have different cylinders and a little larger pistons in the case of the 600 & 800.

You would also be correct on the difference between an 02 & a 96. They are worlds apart. Better suspension and handling would be the first thing I'd notice.

I should have put a plug in for Arctic Cats EFI sleds. That has to be my absolute single favorite feature on my ZR600. 2 pulls to start it, every single time and it doesn't matter how cold out it is or how long it has been since you last run it. The sled will start with the 2nd pull and actually about a half pull once its been warmed up.

Looks like I am little late on giving my two cents, but here it goes anyways. The 500 is a real good sled. They are quick with the right clutching. The only thing is that the mid range is not quite there. If you find the right clutching scheem so should be pretty happy with the performance. Every one thinks that pipes and engine work is what you have to do to make a sled go fast, it helps but the people that you see at the ice drags will tell you that clutching is the key to being happy about the proformance of your sled.

You all are great.. with great info.

Now i have to become a nuiscence.

Now that i have my sled, I put on 36 miles of ditchbangin here in fargo, only spot i had enough room i had to let her go once. got it to 90mph before i had to start slowing down. I dont know if it will go any faster, but seemed like i had a bit more to go.

Anyways, Now what can i do to it(cheapest way possible) to get more hp and speed? What exactly does clutching it do, and what does getting it piped do?

After my 36 mile putt today i definately need more carbide. there are 4inch on it now, but im pushing through corners. What size carbide would be recommended, and how many studs should i get? i am an aggresive trail rider, so i dont know if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for any help and info

Clutch work in my opinion is the way to go. I don't know if you've been around many piped sleds, but to me, I can't stand the sound. They give me a headache. Clutch work (depending on what you do) will change the RPM range for where you engage and where it runs so you can stay more in the peak power range for the motor. I don't know anything about this exact model, but there are LOTS of options for clutch work out there...

Don't all the trailing arm Polaris sleds push in the corners?? J/K. Beaver, if your looking for top end speed you'll lose some of your low end/mid range power . If your a ditch banger low end and mid range is what you want! As mentioned before, clutching is were you'll be able to tinker with the power and were it delivered in the RPM range (changing springs and weights will effect engagemnet RPM and backshift). As far as your push in corners, lower the front end with the coil overs and tighten the limiter strap to increase ski pressure, you'll lose track traction (alot) but if your going to stud it it won't matter much. 144 stud pattern is all you need, even on glare ice it'll hook up. Hope this helps, see ya in the ditch.