• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel for certain rod?

loebs93

I just got a new Scheels rod this past week for my b-day. The rod was originally $150 and sold for $50, which I think, is a pretty good deal. Anyway I need to put a reel on it. Its seven feet long, medium-heavy and I would like to use it for a heavy bass rod or a light musky rod. It’s also a casting rod.

Even though it’s only December I would like to maybe take advantage of some of the winter sales or clearances that many stores have...or maybe I’m just too impatient.

Anyway, does anybody have any suggestions? I would like to put something that is pretty nice on it.

For my heavy bass rod I have a Pflueger 'trion' baitcasting reel. These are very nice reels, I have two of them and absolutly love em. They sell for $100 usually. I would also recomend the Pflueger 'president' reel. I was looking at it in the store the other day and tryin it out...i think i might have to purchase one before next spring, im hooked (anyone else like this reel? im still thinkin about what kind i should get).

-Bob Downey

Do you know what the line capacity of the trion is? Does it have a flippin switch or other gadgets?

That price level is right around what I am looking to spend. I'd say not too much less than that, but nothing over $200.

I would say that for light muskie and heavy bass.. I would lean more twards a round baitcaster than a low profile. It will give you a little more line compasity of the heavier mono or braided dacron that you may use for the muskie. My choice would be a Shimano Calcutta.. I believe they retail around $150.

I agree. I have 2 Calcutta's,and 2 Curado's,both Shimano's. I have caught everything from Muskies to catfish. Great for any kind of bass fishing you're going to do. Abu Garcia's C4,is a very good reel for heavy bass fishing. The 5600 series is around $70, very durable. They're all my fishing partner has ever used. Just my 2 cent's. Good luck.

I Just bought a Pinnacle Aaron baitcaster for my grandson. I filled it up with 12# XT and on my first cast outside the house I hit my neighbors garage door, about 40 yards away with a 3/8 lindy sinker on it. It just sailed off the spool! I think it's awesome for $59.00. I'd by two instead of my curado if I had it to do over again cool.gif.

JMHO

Ole the Guide

You should be happy with that scheels rod, That seris has a st. croix avid blank and alconite guides. It also has the scheels garrantee. I would also recommend the shimano, they have much better gearing then the silstar products(pfluger, pinicle) The silstars up their ball bearing and skimp on the gearings. Most anglers think that ball bearings are everything but gearing is just as important. I would go with a smaller size round reel. The Cardiff is a good choice and is a great casting round reel. Curados are also great reels. Good luck AJ

AndyJ-Thanks for bringing up the Cradiff, I had forgot about it. Its totally redisigned this year. And will retail for the same I believe at $109. Its also a round reel and will have quite a bit of line compsity. I have used one for quite a few years as my Spinnerbait reel. Its fished quite well for me!

I took a quick look at the calcutta 250 yesterday at Gander. It seemed real nice but it was more expensive and the punk kid working there was not as imformative as I had hoped. There were two questions I had for him though; What do you get by paying more(cardiff vs. calcutta)? and Why Shimano over most other reals?

What do you guys think?

Well, I am not the best to ask as I am on the Shimano ProStaff... I can tell you this. Many companies have thier gears made for them, andother words other companies make them and they buy them from them. As far as I know Shimano makes all thier own gears and has more stringent or harder specs so thier gears are more perfect.

As far as Calcutta Over the Cardif.. I believe tha calcutta has better gears and will feel smoother. And should also be lighter. One is a cut frame the other is a cast frame..A cut frame will be stronger.

what about the feel of the rounded baitcasters, I have only used low profile reels, and am wondering if it is just as easy to handle as the low profile reels. Also the the reel im going to buy is for a M action baitcaster, for senkos light spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, etc., and im undecided between the cuardo 100B and the president. Any opinions would be great, thanks

-Bob Downey

As already stated, go to the store and put the reel on the rod you already have. Most stores will let you do it.. and if they dont they are crazy!.. I think they feel much the same. I have both round and low profile.. I would say I use the low profile most of the time. but for crankbaits and spinnerbaits I use mostly round.. I like the gear ratio on most round reels.. its usually slightly lower...

HOWEVER, you cant go wrong with the Curado 100b... that is one with the SF technology... silky smooth casts! One of the best reels for the money in my opinion!

Low profile is the way to go for bass in my opinion. You just don't have those long drag running battles with bass - spool capacity isn't an issue. Most people find that the lower profile are a bit more comfortable and they are lighter.

Now, if your set on a dual purpose rod, you'll need to think more about line capacity and strength of the reel to handle heavy lures and much heavier fish. Shimano has an extremely good reputation for both of these.

For low profile, the Curado is considered one of the best for the money. The Calcutta is a very fine reel if your looking at the larger profile reels. Abu Garcia also makes some very nice larger profile reels that will fit the bill for dual purpose (all of those mentioned should last the average fisherperson their lifetime with some TLC).

The Abu-Garcia Morrum is what I have on my musky set-ups. This is in the same class as the Calcutta. I've been happy with them.

i113874sq03.jpg

The good old C series Abu Garcias are very popular too and built to last...

i113872sq02.jpg

I have been really happy with the Abu Garcia D5 series 5600 reel I bought this year. They are the gold, round, higher line capacity style with a low profile feel. I even bought another one and they have a $15 dollar rebate if purchased before Dec. 31. There are two sizes and they range in price from $80-$100.

FWIW, I have 3 Presidents and I like them better than any reel I've ever owned. I have owned several reels that cost between $100 and $170 including a Shimano Castaic, Curado and an Ambassaduer Torno, and I prefer the President over them all.

I have both a Pres. and Trion, they are both nice. The President has some features that make it pass the trion. The pres. does have brass gears, I am not sure of the trion. I will be buying a few more president for the coming season.

I saw a Shimano Cardiff on clearance at a store the other day and I'm just wondering if anybody knows anything about that one. It was over a hundred dollars originally, now its in the case for about $80. It seemed perfect for this application.

The shimano Cardiff is almost the exact same reel as the Curado but round. All the inner workings are very similar to the Curado.. the cardiff I believe retails for about $115... They did make some changes to the 2005 cardiff so you may see quite a few of the 04's on clearance!