• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you know it is time

dwag70

I have an old lab that might have cancer lost 35 lbs in 4 monthes.100lbs to 65 (blood test did not show but that is were the vet is leaning) The dog is still happy and has no trouble moving or doing any thing Still hunt him once in a while but he has started to slow on our walks.I think it is his drive that keeps him going in the woods ( this dog has a high pain tolerence has cut his legs and chest open and never even knew till i seen the blood he never missed a step)Eats anything he can. He does have bouts of bloody stool always at night on the carpet. So heres my question how do you deciede it is time! I always thought i would know. When he needed help to move or could not get up it was time. But with a deseise should it be done before that ?

I still say "you'll know". They somehow let you know. frown.gif If the bloody stool on the carpet gets much worse, that may be your sign. I think pretty much every dog I've put down has given me the indication they were ready, a lot of them get that "look" in their eyes. Trust your vet's opinion too... but if he's generally in good spirits, eating, drinking and getting around, I wouldn't jump the gun.

Good Luck!

Ken

The dog will tell you. Man, I feel your pain.

My last lab began to be listless and was loosing weight. She would still eat, but less and less.

She did not seem to be in any pain, but she began to refuse her dry food. I bought canned food, and she ate that for a few days, but soon turned that down.

When she refused raw hamburger, I knew it was over. I called the vet and brought her in. Ironic that it happened to be the opening day of duck season.

Hang in there. Just keep the dog as comfortable as you can.

Some dogs just dont give up. I put my lab down last year on new years day. I had her down in Texas the week before and all was well. Then the next weekend she ate part of a towel, and she was the kind of dog that never chewed on anything....ever. Within hours, she couldnt even walk on her own, so I took her to the vet. It was a hard call whether to spend the $500 or so on surgery that wasnt even a guarantee, or just put her down. She was 13 and had a good life so I went with the cheap option. The vet got nosey and called back a few hours later. Made me feel a lot better when he told me that she had liver cancer and her liver was 95% gone. Thats a tough dog! Like everyone has been saying, she knew it was over, so she had to let me know with the towel. When they get to be a certain age, it is just a judgement call.

We put our old girl Sammy down on Nov 1. She had lymphatic cancer and was just starting to noticeably go down hill. We wanted her to go with her dignity still intact. And we also wanted our kids to remember her as a dog that was "healthy and happy" instead of an emaciated, suffering shell of a dog. We probably put her down earlier than most people would but it was the right decision for us. I'm choking up just writing this. It hurts to lose your trusty sidekick that's been with you for many years.

Bottom line... Think about this from different angles and make a decision that's in the best interests of your dog first and you second.

Good luck. I feel your pain dwag70.

gspman

ps: We had Sammy cremated. I have her ashes now and will be spreading some in her favorite haunts. The vet also made a clay impression of her pawprint. We put it in the oven to harden it and made a Christmas ornament out of it so we get to remember her every Christmas.

Hi dwag70...

I feel for ya pal. It's a very tough decision to make. As others have said, he WILL let you know when it's time.

I went through this not too long ago with my english setter Rosie. She suffered from canine epilepsy (3+ years) and did not respond to any recognized treatments. Her quality of life was gradually going downhill, but I was commited to do what ever it took to help Rosie.

I had never been in this type of situation before and didn't understand what they were talking about. But sure enough, late one night, after a rather severe cluster of seizures. sitting with her in the basement kennel, Rosie picked her head up off my lap and looked me straight in the eye as if to say... Dad, please make it stop... I'll never forget the look she gave me. In the silence of that night, she couldn't have spoke any louder.

How do you know it's time? Trust me, he'll let you know.

dwag70, My boxer got cancer in the spring and I asked the my vet the same thing, he told me to enjoy the time I have left with her and to make life easy for her. And that's what I did. She finally stopped eat her food and only eat very little of the people food I gave her. That's when I knew she was ready, I wasn't and I'm tearing up now. I feel your pain.

I went thru this with my Springer a few years back and decided it was going to be time to go when he was still the dog/family member we had the first 13 years. I didn't want to wait till the memories were bad because of accidents in the house, snapping at the kids or a dog in pain or that was unable to do anything. Making the decision was one of the worst things I've had to do but now I feel I made the correct one and have nothing but great memories of the dog. As others have said they give you a look that helps you know your decision is correct and you are taking them out of their pain & suffering. One thing I wish I would have done was get some good pics to frame and remember with.

Thanks for all the Kind Words and Advise. The dog (Cody) has had two nights of making it through the night with no accidents and things are getting together in that area Some blood but things are formed. He is still acting a little different no jumping up to see how is at the door but metion the word food and he gets pretty excited. It is very helpful to hear from people who have had to go through it themselves. Heading to the Vet to get more bloodwork done. Thanks Again to All

Good luck Dwag. I've read this post and can't hardly even respond. I know this is coming all too soon with my 10 1/2 year old lab and I dread the thought of it too. Hope your pal enjoys his remaining time and doesn't suffer!

Too all of us that has lost a good friend, fishing/hunting partner, or a best bud. I have a poem at home that I will post here on Monday. It help me in the passing of my 3 best friends. And I hope it helps ease the pain for the rest of you.

Well the wife sent me the poem. I hope this helps and I am sorry if it brings a tear to your eyes. I can't read it with out getting teary eyed myself.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS THE RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER…

Reading these posts makes me remember when I had to put my 15 year old companion down a little more than 2 years ago. I personally had a hard time deciding it was time. Even though I felt it was time I went through a period wondering if it really was time. The house was quiet, no one to greet me, her bowl empty but still in the same place. Was it selfish to feel I did not wrong thing, that she could have hung on a little longer. The answer is yes. People told me to wait to get another dog until I got over the lose. I didn't listen and got a new dog a couple of months later, and you know what.... I am still not over the lose of that dog. But, I am enjoying the companionship, fun and hunting with my new dog as well. A person can't help but to remember there old buddy and miss them.

Dwag70, Like people have been saying, you will be able to tell when it is time, even though there might be some selfish thoughts, you will know. I am glad to hear that there has been some improvment and hope it continues.

Best wishes,

"hooks"

I don't know where I got this, but it's pretty touching.

A DOGS PRAYER

Treat me kindly my beloved master...for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine....Do not break my spirit with a stick...for though I should lick your hand between the blows...your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do...Speak to me often...for your voice is the world's sweetest music...as you know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear...When it is cold and wet...please take me inside...for I am now a domesticated animal...no longer used to bitter elements...And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth....Though you had no home....I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land...for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper...Keep my pan filled with fresh water ...for although I should not reproach you were it dry...I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst...Feed me clean food...that I may stay well...to romp and play and do your bidding...to walk by your side...and stay ready. Willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger....And....My beloved master...should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight....do not turn me away from you....Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest....and i will leave you knowing with the last breath i drew...my fate was ever safest in your hands............................DOGS DON’T HAVE SOULS?...DO THEY?........I remember bringing you home...You were so small with your tiny paws and soft fur...You bounced around the room with your eyes flashing and ears flopping...Once in awhile you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this was your territory...Making a mess of the house and chewing everything in sight became a passion....and when i scolded you...you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes as if to say....I’m sorry...but I’ll do it again as soon as you're not watching...As you got older....you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by...When i had a tough day at work...you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say..."Welcome home...I missed you"...You never had a bad day and i could always count on you to be there for me...When i sat down to read the paper and watch TV...you would hop on my lap looking for attention...You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg...As you got older...you moved around more slowly...Then...one day...old age finally took its toll...and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore...I knelt down and patted you lying there...trying to make you young again...You just looked up at me as if to say... you were old and tired and after all these years of not asking for anything...you had to ask me for one last favor...With tears in my eyes...I drove you one last time to the vet...One last time...you were lying next to me...For some strange reason...you were able to stand up in the animal hospital...perhaps it was your sense of pride...As the vet led you away....you stopped for an instant...turned your head...and looked at me as if to say..."Thank you for taking care of me"....I thought...."NO , Thank you for taking care of me"...........