• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Icefishing Reels?

Bob Horn

Quote:

I have been using the Gander Mountain brand ice reels for the last few years and have had good luck with them. I think they cost about 15 bucks. They are medium size ice reels and thus are not tiny little things that are hard to get a hold of. Just my 2 cents.

I picked one up last year it seems like a really nice real for $15. I'll probably pick up another for $12 (sale this week) unless I find a good deal at the ice show.

I just got home from the show. Lots of goodies. I picked up 3 of JR's Tackles new reels and they are everything I hoped they would be. I got two 8 ball bearing reels and one 11 ball bearing reel. Both are of good quality and the drag system seems to be as smooth as I hoped. I will run them threw the mill and report back. At those prices even if they only last me a couple years its a great buy. I doubt they wont last longer though. The new Mini Flashlights were also a huge hit. I got a bunch for stocking stuffers for all my fishing buddys.

It was nice to see Crappie Tom and his lovely better half, BDR, Matt,Steve, Duane and J.P. from Nilsmaster ( all my ? and concerns were answered and Im buying a new Nilsmaster Auger) and all the others I cant remember off hand cause Im so tired. BD110 and Surface Tension thanks for the great trip and company. Frank I wont tell ya who but someone actually won $107 on the way home. cool.gif

Lots of neat new inventions as well. If you havent been to a ice show I highly recomend you try to get there.

Hiya,

I am appraently in a distinct minority here, but I like tiny reels for most applications, so most of mine are either Shimano AXULS or Silstar 25s I've had for next to forever, or the little Pinnacle Ice Lites.

I always backreel rather than rely on a drag, whether it's through the ice or on open water, so my drags are always locked down tight. You learn to get very adept at backreeling when you grow up using cheap reels with crappy drags, so I backreel on everything from bull gills on 1.5 lb test to 20lb. lakers and pike. It's just what I'm used to. So seeking out a reel with a smooth drag is pointless. Plus I like the small size reels for weight/balance reasons, even when fishing walleyes. I will use a bigger reel now and then when I'm fishing bigger pike or lakers though, and then it's usually an Abu Cardinal 600. Great reels, and they DO have a smooth drag, if I ever needed it.

Nice thing about the tiny reels is they're usually pretty cheap...

Cheers,

RK

It was nice to meet you bhorn, you made the right choice with that Tica. I almost baught one at a booth to get the free Tica hat but decided to wait. I'm sure that reel will bring in lots of fish for you this year! Now bring on the Ice!!!

Take care,

Corey Bechtold

p.s.

Sorry about listing the wrong price of the 750 Shimano Sedona guys. I couldn't find my receipt and had some other things on the bill as well. I guess that Credit Cards can get you in trouble if your not careful grin.gif

I may have missed it, but another cause for line twist is letting fish take drag. If fish need to run, backreel, you can almost eliminate twist.

For reels, I use Daiwa Tournament reels. They make a 700, which is pretty small, but I use the next size up. I used to use Shimano, but prefer Daiwa, hands down.

Tom B

Corey, it was nice meeting you too. I had a hard time deciding (had to buy 4 reels than bought a 5th)because I liked the shimano, daiaws,Jr`s and the ticas but I was given such a great deal on the Ticas I couldn`t pass it up. Now I just need to get some ice and I`ll be AG.