• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying first power auger

bigwillie

I geuss It would depend on how man holes ur going to be drilling, and how much ur willing to pay..I myself own a jiffy and untill last year had no porblems for about 5 years...for lots of holes and speed i wold go with the strikemasters but im sure some people bag to differ, eskimos little bit cheaper less quailty, all aroudn good price and fair quality go with the jiffys just my 2 cents

I have a 3hp strikemaster 8", the thing runs and cuts great, though I wish I had bought a 2hp just because the 3 isn’t needed and the two is less weight. I was thinking bigger is better but a 2 hp would have been more than adequate.

I have a 3hp 10" Lazer. I can out cut my buddies 3/2 who have jiffy or regular strikemasters(w/o Lazer blades).

I second the comments on only getting a 2hp. Got mine as a gift and I would have purchased an 8 or 9" 2hp Lazer is buying today. Make sure to get one with the new point which keeps it from sliding around.

my 2 cents i have a 3hp 10" jiffy auger and a like it, the only thing i dont like is that the thermal round tip ups like the frabil dont fit very well and the older ones are smaller than the holes, this can be fixed with a little enginuity but anyway, how fast do you really need to cut, they all are easier then a chisle or a hand auger and they all claim they are the best. it all boils dont to what you want to spend and the size and reliability..like i said my 2 cents

bigb56303

I stay out of most auger talk, but I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you buy.

My first power auger was a Jiffy Model 30 3hp 8". It IS a tank and not very fast. It has also been in the family for 15-20+ years. We're not quite sure when grandpa bought it but it has been around awhile and still works great. We had the carb rebuilt by a pro once and that is the only maintenance that auger has seen.

My other grandpa convinced me to go with Strikemaster. He had a Magnum III which he put a Lazer auger bit on (without the power point) and thoroughly convinced me that was the auger to buy. After using his, there was no doubt in my mind at the time. It went through the ice faster than anything I have ever seen.

SO, I bought a Strikemaster Lazer Mag a few years ago. Its 2hp and an 8" auger bit. I have no complaints what-so-ever and they are a local company from Big Lake, MN. I haven't seen an auger yet that can beat this one through the ice. I typically cut 3-4 + feet of ice on Upper Red & Lake of the Woods and cut 30-40 holes per outing. Fast! Fast! Fast! Thats all I can say, and Effortless! Effortless! Effortless! I replace the blades every year & I keep on going.

Strikemaster is just my personal preference. Jiffy, Eskimo, Nilsmaster, and Strikemaster all make augers that will do a great job of cutting holes. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them anymore.

I'm with Hanson on this one. I think which ever you buy you will be happy. If you want to drill a faster hole, get a shaver blade or one that has a shaver blade.. If you want to not have to sharpen your blades all the time but still get threw the ice fairly quick get a chipper blade. I myself have a jiffy for that reason. If it takes me 5 extra seconds but saves me a buch each season in sharpening fees.. I am happy!

Hanson is absoultly correct on this one! Whatever you buy, it's better than drilling by hand. I was given a 3hp last year as a gift, and it's been great. Not really necessary, but hey, it was a gift. The 3hp needs to warm up abit, but once it gets going, there's no stopping her wink.gif . Just like.... ( feel free to apply your own comments!

I "upgraded" my magnum II 2 hp 7 inch for a magnum III 3 hp 8" with lazer blades a few years ago. Both are great augers. However if I were to do it again I wouldn't get the 3hp. It costs more and weighs alot more and I haven't seen a great deal in improved performance. The 3HP takes longer to warm up. The lazer blades are great and cut faster but a chipper ices up less. You also have better performance with "less than sharp" chipper blades than you do with equivalent lazer blades.

In a nutshell I would recommend Strikemaster but I don't think getting the larger HP actually is always an improvement.

This will be my second year with Eskimo. I cut a lot of holes (I'm in the fish house rental business) and I believe all are pretty comparable. But I haven't had any complaints with my Shark, in fact it is very smooth and doesn't stink up the whole house (fish house). It won't be long long and it is going to be chewing up some ice (0 degrees in Lake Shore, MN. this morning).

Walleyedan

Walleyedan

Personally I am a Jiffy guy. I fish on a Resevoir out in ND that gets allot of dirty ice. By that I mean it is in a valley and there is no trees around it so when the wind blows which is daily the lake gets covered with dirt. I have never had problems with my Jiffy's blades dulling as a result. With shaver blade like a strikemaster they will dull and dull quick according to some of the guys that I have talked with out there who own strikemaster. I have never question that a strikemaster is fast but really the extra 5 second it takes with my Jiffy I can wait for. I have one model 30 that I know is older that me that was my first auger that I received from a relative. It still runs great but I gave that one a rest and got a new 10" stealth last year and I could be more than happer with it's performance so far. Drilling a hole isn't even work anymore.

I've had a Jiffy for 15+ years with no problems. One thing you may want to consider is weight. The one I have is HEAVY and if you drill alot of holes this can become an issue, unless you're built like an ox wink.gif.

Two words: JIFFY STEALTH Have had mine going on third year and never had a problem. I drill alot of holes and the blades are still as sharp as the day I bought the auger. I went with the 8 inch otherwise if you go bigger the big one can get turned around in the hole and possibly get away, which has happened to me while fishing in my buddies house and he has a nine inch auger.

Throw that trophy walleye back, so I can catch it!!! cool.gif

I have an old 3hp Jiffy 8" that my father in law gave me. It must be 20+ years old. The blade is welded on the auger flight and it has a bar sticking out the side instead of the two handles. That thing has cut alot of holes for me over the years. The only two complaints I have are that it is a bit heavy and the auger spins so fast that you are usually covered with ice shavings from the waist down. I haven't found an auger that will beat mine drilling holes yet.