• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scenic Tackle Paint Quality

Dave

Question

Scenic Tackle is a Sponsor here that helps keep this site free for all of us.

Being mainly involved with ATVs, I also get out fishing whenever I can. Like many of you, the budget’s tight and I’ve been known to buy some of the real “inexpensive” (read: cheap) jigs to try and save a nickel or two. Using my ATV product test mentality (abuse it more than the average user) I tried a quick field test with a Scenic Tackle Go Devil that I thought was interesting.

I’ve heard for a long time on FM how the Go Devils attract and catch fish. And, I’ve heard that Scenic Tackle’s paint quality is top notch. I wanted to find out for myself how true this claim was about the paint quality. So, I tied some monofilament line to one of the 1/8th ounce Go Devils and headed out to the landscape rocks in my front yard. The landscape rocks are not rounded; they’re pointed (trap rock) and have sharp edges. I continuously “bottom bounced” a Go Devil for at least ten minutes from a height of two feet. I also dragged the Go Devil across the 15-foot length of rock section several times. My thinking was that this test is more harsh than using the Go Devil in the water, where the lake water would create a “cushioned” fall for the Go Devil when bouncing it off the lake bottom. Every “bounce” was a fast direct contact with a rock. I thought I would see some chipping of the paint from the Go Devil. I feel my quick test is valid and saw no paint chipped off of the Go Devil body! Just thought I’d pass this information along.

bounceddevil5zu.jpg

glowdevil9ma.jpg

threedevilcolors4ws.jpg

You can see all of the Go Devil colors and sizes available here:

Scenic Tackle's Go Devils - CLICK HERE to get yours or for more info.

9 answers to this question

The paint will not come off these spoons. The "hammer" test made me a believer. grin.gif

Obviously the hooks took the brunt too and the paint is holding very well.

All this talk of my favorite lure is driving me nuts for ice!!

I have some Angel Eyes that have passed the toughness test.

They survived two winters in my ice tackle box, which resides in my tub when under tow. They have been bounced and battered on countless runs across the NW angle, Sabaskong Bay, Crow, and Ottertail lakes and have not chipped or dulled at all.

This treatment has caused paint chipping/dulling on some big name jigs and spoons that hang out in my box.

Nice stuff, Jeff!

I have been to Jeff's shop to see the process in which he applies paint to his products. The quality of his craftmanship and paint products are simple the best. I beleive the only way to get his paint to chip, is to break the lure in half, and that takes one h--- of a hook set.

Mark

Mark Cook

Bluewater Bait & Sports

801 Washington Ave SE

Bemidji, MN 56601

218-444-BAIT (2248)

www.bluewater-bait.com

No ice = Too much time on your hands smirk.gif I must admit I have the perch color ready to go on my favorite rod just waiting to set its red hooks into a Tonka walleye. I bought a bunch last year and just stocked up on some different sizes in my favorite color.

Wow thats putting them through the test!! We take a lot of pride in our paint and it has taken a few years to get it just right. I can not take all the credit for what leaves this shop as I could never do this alone and without the help of some great staff Scenic Tackle would not be what it has grown into.

Our paint is like putting a signature on every piece that leaves this shop. If you put your name on something it has to be something you believe in.

Now if there was just more time to use them!!!!

Jeff

I cram stuff in my box’s, much more then should be there.

I forget to allow jig box's to dry or drain and I have found whole sections of my ice tackle froze in a clump.

shocked.gif

So I can vouch for the stubborn paint on those Scenic Tackle jigs staying put through all my use and abuse. They hold up well and the color and lure finish quality has always been a big selling point for me. smile.gif

[from Admin: Scenic Tackle's Go Devils & Angel Eye Jr - CLICK HERE to get yours or for more info.

Nice report Dave. I was just looking back through my box of angel eye jrs. and go devils that have been used and abused for years and they all still have a nice looking paint job. That is something I can't say for many of my ice jigs in my box. The hooks on those are top notch too, always razor sharp..