• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ethics

MNice

I am thinking of getting into bow hunting mainly to lengthen my season. I could go out closer to home even for an hour or two, but I have a problem. I'm color blind and can't spot blood unless it's on snow. I plan on bow hunting solo, but I won't do it if I have a good possibility of losing a deer due to colorblindness. My question is, do deer shot with a bow typically travel a great distance? While rifle hunting, all the deer I've shot drop very quickly, but I assume tracking is a required skill for bow hunting. Am I over thinking this, or should I get started.

Yes a bow shot deer can travel a long distance. A double lung shot can go as far as a couple hundread yards, its not common but it can happen. Same with a heart shot. Marginal shots may not even kill the animal but if it does they can go miles. However many go down in 30-50 yards. Expecially on a well placed shot.

With all that being said, there are many bow hunters that are color blind that still bowhunt. The best is to find a buddie to help in tracking. Otherwise there are products that can help you. A spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide with you can be a huge help. Spray a little on an area you think may be blood. If it bubbles its blood.. mark that spot with trail tape. There is another product that will turn blood blue. Then the method I hear most of all from color blind people is they woule rather track at night. Then with a colman lantern they say blood reflects back very bright, even to people that are red green colorblind.

Best of luck!

The deer can travel a long ways especially when the shot is not well placed. My dad is color blind and still enjoys bowhunting. I was usually the tracker when I was younger as I could pick up on the trails much better. Eventually he read an article on using a kerosene lantern when tracking deer and he gave that a try with excellent results. He can see even the small drops of blood with this. With a strong flashlight or the flourescent lanterns it does not work the same for him and it has to be kerosene. The wavelength of light from the kerosene lantern must be a little different, which allows for the blood to shine/flouresce a certain amount for his eyesight.

I'm colorblind. I love bowhunting. It's a challenge but hey, if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

It's easiest to track in the evening or night with a coleman lantern. As stated in an earlier post, flashlights just don't cut the mustard. A Coleman lantern really really helps bring out the blood. Of course, a little snow on the ground doesn't hurt, either.

Don't let a little thing like colorvision stop you from bowhunting. You will be missing out on a great time.

MNice,

One of the greatest things taught to me was to let the animal go for at least a half hour before you attempt the track. My experience has been that without being pushed, and having had a clean shot the deer did not travel very far before laying down and succumbing to the shot. The second greatest advice was the already mentioned coleman light. I never lost a blood trail using one.

Not a question of ethics but I would strongly suggest finding a bud to hunt with. 4 eyes are better than 2 even when not colorblind. Plus it's just plain more fun. I've hunted by myself and with friends for 36 years and it's much better sharing the hunt.