• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils Master Augers ???

walleye vision

Has anyone used or heard of these augers? I've heard good things about them, but info is hard to come by. The only real info i was able to find was that the engines run at 11,000rpms (fast!), the engine can be removed so it can be converted into a hand auger, and that it outdrills jiffy's 2 holes to 1. Just curious if anyone has any knowledge of these. thanks

- WV -

I love my Nils. grin.gif I got mine for Christmas last year (Had my other gear stolen). I had a older chipper style auger before. I thought it worked well until I got my new one. I was not sure about it at first, but my friend who owns a tackle shop told me "If you don't like it, I'll give you your money back". Needless to say, he did not get the auger back.

Quote:

It looks like one guy has a 8" an the other a 10". That would make a huge difference. Is this correct?

Two reasons the Nils looks smaller.

1) The Jiffy was closer to the camera.

2) Nils Master uses fluting that is a little smaller then the hole, so there is less drag when drilling.

The Nils motor was new during this race and was not broken in yet. So, it actually a little faster, and has a little more power now that the rings have seated.

I'm also seriously considering a nilsmaster. Does anyone know if there is a HSOforum that lists/sells all the accessories? Is there a HSOforum by the manufacturer? Everything I've read about them is very positive besides the price. I'm just worried I won't be able to find a replacement bit etc. because there aren't any local dealers for me in alex.

Paul,

Good point. It's not just the time factor.....which is important to me. It's the ease of use. All you have to do is drill 30 holes with another auger and then drill 30 with a Nils. I never realized how much I struggled with my old one. With the lower weight, longer bit, and no pressure drilling, it's amazing how much better it is to drill holes.

Oh....and Blaine is not exagerating on the amount of holes he drills. It's like a freakin mine field when he is done. wink.gifgrin.gif

Mark,

If you wish, you can get everything you need through the Nils Master HSOforum. There are places online that you can get the augers...you just need to do a search. I think FM might be selling them too....but I'm not sure.

What makes Nils Master faster is not necessarily good. Their are using a very good engine. But if you look at the RPM and Gear Ratio, it is more like a drag racer than a 4 x 4 truck having to work tough conditions. Speed can be good, but longevity is important in the middle of Canada too. Make the balance between speed and 4x4 in your own mind. Good fishing

Timber,

Just FYI...The motors are Tanaka commercial grade motors that have twice the service life of a Tecumseh motor (used on most other power augers). I don't remember the exact numbers that I found when I was researching before I purchased mine last year, but I'll see if I can fine them. Both engines are designed to run at a given RPM, so life of the product because of engine RPM is not an issue.

Now...If you tried to run a tecumseh at 11,000 RPM...I think there would be some problems... wink.gifgrin.gif

Timber,

I was wrong with my numbers. Tanaka motors have over 3 times the service life of a Tecumseh. My notes on the factory specs for the Tecumseh say it has a service life of less the 200 hours and the Tanaka have a service life of a little over 600 yours. I'll see if I can find a link to that data, but I have got that info over the phone.

The more I hear about the Nils augers the more I want one.

I have been lugging around a 3hp Jiffy that I do like,but for heavens sake, its heavy!! Plus the 3hp moter takes a while to get warmed up. Not exaclty the kind of motor that guy who is moving constantly needs.

This lite weight Nils seems like the answer. Cuts fast and is very lite.

How does it perform a few seconds after she is started up? I gotta have that hole cut now!! smile.gif

Dennis,

It cuts pretty good, but I usually give it 30 seconds or so before I start cutting. I run it partial throttle for a few seconds and then run it wide open for a bit. I leave the cover on the blade so it will just spin on top of the ice. It's not good for a motor to be under load when it's cold. During the break in stage I'd run it for 1-2 minutes before cutting. You won't get maximum power out of the auger until the motor is broken in and the rings have seated. You will feel it getting a little stronger with every use. The biggest thing is to run fresh gas and a 50:1 mix. Do not run it any richer then that or you will be blowing oil out the muffler.

Bob D what are you using for oil. I currently am using Amsoil in all my motors. Will Nilsmaster honor warranty work running Amsoil. I dont see why not but thought I would check.

Dennis Im with you I loved my 3 horse Jiffy Legend but it was a pig to carry around cutting holes. If its a lot of work to cut holes you just arent as likely to cut too many.

Northlander,

I'm going to be running Amsoil Saber this year. I have an e-mail from them saying thier oil will work for my application. So, I don't think it would be an issue.