• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

auger rack idea

minneman

do you see any problems with this? I simply set the auger in the rack on my panther, it doesnt rock back&forth, just need to strap it from about midway on the flighting to the hitch area on the sled to keep it in place.

first time pic posting, sorry it so big..

acjiffyrack3.jpg

Well besides the stress on the Auger you may be looking at legal issues on the handle blocking more then 75% of your tail light on the sled. Ever since the sleds have started getting faster and faster the laws are becoming more strict.

RED TAIL LIGHTS must be visiblefor 500 feet to the rear of the snowmobile. Your set up looks to be blocking the brightest part of the tail light creating a legal situation for you and giving the Deputies justifications to pull you over and tag you..

Makes no difference the law still stands on the lakes too. The law states if not on PRIVATE lands all laws are to be followed and lakes are PUBLIC waters and open to the public placing you in a state of being ILLEGAL with blocking of the tail light..

minneman-

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to try and get your auger to sit across the rack sideways and tie it down. Put the powerhead to the left or right of the rack and rotate the auger blade until it nests solidly with the rack and then tie it down with rope or bungies.

It just seams to me that unless you tie it down in the position its in, it will eventually bounce out.

(Please remember I'm just looking at a worst case scenario here. It may stay there just fine but I'm not positive.)

Chris, of course at the time I tryed all positions, sideways wont work with the 10" flighting,(rubs on the backrest) and the motor would be swiging too. the way it is in the pic would definetly need some rigid brace to the flighting shaft and strap/s to hold it in the rack for any "long distance" runs.

I have a sled that I tow that the auger goes in for the long hauls. I am looking for a way to easily carry an auger once at a location to go from hole to hole to hole etc. when the holes are spread out its easier on my back, and I think this ought to work good, Ill let ya all know.

Minneman I built a rack for the back of a panther exactly like yours, works slick, been tested thoroughly too. If you are interested I can try to get pictures to you. All it takes is a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood a couple 2by2's. The support comes from the back of the shelf by way of a transom saver from my boat, the weight is transferred to the bumper. It isn't that pretty but it works sweet.

my buddie welded two posts that will stick through the hood, drill holes for clips, so you can remove the posts. then the auger minus the power head will bungie across the hood. also make sure to cover tour power head, as snow dust will cover it at the back of your sled. just use a bag with a pull string, and pull it tight and tie it shut.

jerkin, yea, send some pics, allways looking for new ideas. thetlas at loretel dot net.

knoppers, ive been looking for a bag w/draw string w/out much luck, any ideas? all ive used so far is a 2"x2"x1" thick pc of neoprene wedged inbetween the fuel tank and the carb inlet, it works great for keeping snow out of the carb but the bag would help too.

I'll admit, jerkin's rack is functional and it has taken a beating. I just can't believe nobody manufacturers an after-market rack. The only one I've seen is for a Bearcat and the reason that works is the tunnel extends past the original rack, allowing for significantly more weight-bearing. I saw a couple outfitted with these at the Ice Show.

I have an '02 Panther and the original rack says not to exceed 35 lbs or you'll damage the tunnel. My question is if I find an aluminum fabricator, one that is capable of welding a design, how do I redistribute the extra weight? Will I need to drill more holes, further up the tunnel? Does anyone have examples of designs of aluminum racks that have worked for them? My biggest worry is redistributing the weight. I don't neeed to carry my fish house - just an auger and some extra gear. And I really don't want to drill holes in my hood.

FYI - The Bearcat rack is pictured here: http://www.planetarcticcat.com/pac3/images/items/3639-852.jpg