• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clothing for November- December Bow Hunting

Captain B.R.K

I've been on-line, I've been in the catalogs, I've been at your Mills, Gander Mt, and Sportsmans. What do you guys use for keeping warm towards the colder parts of the season. October should be classified as colder season, but we had an unseasonable Oct.

I was looking at getting some type of bib so the wind didn't go behind my back.

What do you guys use? I know you hard nose hunters don't sit up there and sun bathe all day:)

Boots: a 1000grams thinsulated for 50>20 degrees now and a 2000gram thinsulate for 20> & colder.

Pants: a windbreaker sweat pants then a thinsulated camo wrangler jean I buy at Fleet Farm.

Shirts: a long sleeve turtleneck shirt and 4 sweatshirts on top of that then a camo turtleneck shirt on top. (layering)

Hands & Head: a camo fleece mask and camo mittens.

I think that's it.

Don't you use a type of waterproof bib or pant?

I was more worried about my legs/mid torso than anything.

For my top, I go with under-armor- mid weight, polor fleece mid weight, scepressent windstopper zip up jacket and then my scent lok dakota jacket. If it's colder, I put another heavier fleece sweater over the jacket and then put on my dakota jacket.

My problem is that I always have cold air going up my back so was looking at bibs.

?????????????????

Any one else?

For my legs and feet

1) Thermal underwear

2) Thick socks and 1500 thinsulate boots

3) Cotton jogging pants with a windbreaker over that

For above my waist:

1) Thermal underwear

2) Cotton sweat shirt with a windbreaker over that

For my head:

1) A fleece gaiter that covers my head and neck

2) A nice warm hat to top it off

After all the gear is put on then I put on a full body insulated coverall with a soft material so it doesn't make any sound and is flexible in the coldest of temps. I also have a fleece handwarmer so I don't have to worry about taking off my gloves when I am shooting at a deer(I don't like shooting with gloves on). I have hunted in N.D. with this setup at -15F in a 30mph wind and could easily handle the 3 hours I was out. If I had to spend half a day out there I probably would have needed some heat packs for additional warmth. Also, with what I wear I can remain extremely flexible and can shoot the same at all different positions just like I could if I were wearing a t-shirt and regular pants. I've seen some guys put so much gear on that would make noise and they couldn't even pull back their bow normally. I have had some of my best hunting just after Thanksgiving with the snow, wind, and cold.

Not too long ago there was another thread concerning cold weather bowhunting, do a search.

If you're concerned about your back, go with a bib/coat combo vrs a coverall. Mine is reversible Skyline camo, brownish grey for now and white for later. Get it big, in a soft material, then you can layer as needed, starting with polypropelene next to the skin. Carry most of your heavy clothes to the stand.

Keep your head, hands, and feet warm! For my head, I have a camo and a white camo stocking cap/face mask combo where I've cut the nosepiece out because my glasses kept fogging up. Then I put another stocking cap over it. For my hands, I like the chemical hand warmers. For my feet, my Lacrosse ice kings do the trick. Late season bowhunting gets to be an endurance contest, but when those deer come trotting down the trail...

Rocky guide gear! Its waterproof windproof and keeps you warm. Sportsmans guide had a great deal on a 4in1 jacket so you can zip out the inner jacket when its warmer.The jacket was 90$ and bibs about the same. It works great with the bibs because the parka can tighten around the waist so no cold air gets up to you. My first year with the stuff and its been great.Just make sure you get the right size so you can layer to your needs.I still use my all rubber boot with 800 grams and my feet stay good.

I think the key as said in other posts as well... Layers.. as many layers without being too bulky. I usually go with 2 to 3 layers of some kind of wicking poly type then on top of that have the larger stuff... My wool bibs are my love of my life in the woods.. .Love them woolies...

I personally love bibs. I have a light pair I wear early season & then switch to heavier ones once it's 50 or less & then start wearing long johns & double socks as it gets colder. I'm wearing thousand gram thinsulate rubber boots, probably 18". I finally used toe warmers in the mornings when it was starting out below 20 & I wanted to sit 3-4 hours. I wear a T shirt, turtleneck, long sleeved T shirt, sweatshirt, hooded zip up sweatshirt under my bibs, & then a heavy coat over the top. I wear a fleece hood with a hat or face mask, if it's really cold, & then sometimes if windy put the hood up on on my sweathshirt & jacket. I wear heavy gloves & then have chemical handwarmers in my jacket pockets. My hands spend most of the time in my pockets unless I see or hear something coming.

If it's super cold I may even go with my goretex bibs & 4 in 1 parka, which are noisier, especially if it's windy. Then I know I just have to be very still & really make calculated movements to eliminate extra noise. If there's any amount of wind even noisy clothing can only be heard from a very short distance if you're careful about how you move.

You simply can't beat a good pair of bibs. Other than that make sure you aren't losing any heat around your neck. The real key is to carry some of your clothing to your stand. If you work up a sweat, you're screwed. Stay dry and stay warm.

I bought the Heater Body Suit this year. True the temps have not been bad as of yet, but I have spent two dawn to dark days in my stand with the temps in the mid teens and when I unzipped it my glasses foged up. Nuf said, I am waiting for the late season to see how it works.

I do layer and layer again. I keep warm to a point, but after 2-3 hrs later, I get cool. I will do some more research to see what is out there.

I was looking at Cabela's MT050 Gore-tex insulated pants...pretty nice....pretty expensive frown.gif

Thanks guys!

Whopper Stopper, when you're using that heater body suit, how much movement do you have when you unzip and get your arms out to shoot? Would you buy it again? Keep us updated on how it works with the colder weather coming up. I've been lusting after one but the price has scared me off...

I use a combination of things:

Feet:

Thin moisture wicking socks, chemical toe heater and then a wool sock over that. I wear 800 gram thinsulate rocky boots.

Legs:

UnderArmor pants, medium weight long johns, flannel lined cargo pants and then topped with Mad Dog Silent Shadow Gear Pants.

Top:

UnderArmor shirt, medium weight long johns, fleece vest, fleece zip in liner from my Columbia parka, and Mad Dog Silent Shadow Gear Jacket.

Hands:

I use gloves/mittens along with the chemical hand warmers and seem to do ok.

-Hossienda

Most of the movement of the Heater Body Suit takes place from the inside ( Unzipping it) Your hands stay totally concealed. Once the zipper is down it is just a matter of sticking your arms out one at a time and the suit slips off your shoulders. I bow hunt Wisconsin so seeing 5-10 deer a day is pretty much normal. I have made it a point to practice on all the small deer and does and so far I have not spooked any. Probably the toughest part is getting into the suit 25 feet up in a tree in the pitch dark. However again I practiced at home a few times and now it isn't bad at all. I will let you know how it goes in the super cold. They have a 90 day no questions asked return policy and so far I have no intentions of sending it back. One additional thing is that the elastic suspenders also keep your bulky clothes tight against your body so shooting is a lot easier. Yes the price is a bit steep but so are all the layers of clothes I have bought over the years.

Whopper, just had to go back to their web site and lust some more. I see that they now include a safty harness with the suit. How was the sizing? I'm 6' and 190 pounds, their large goes for people up to six foot, the ex-large goes from 6 foot to 6' 4".

I did buy their ultimate bow holder last year, I like it. Keeps your bow right where you need it.

Lets see, trail camera or body suit? Or both? smile.gif

Their sizing is pretty good. I am 6'3" and 205. I got the extra tall and wide and with my hunting clothes on it is about right. I got the predator camo and wasn't sure how I was going to like it, so far nothing has seen me so even that seems ok. I plan to log some time late season so like I said I'll let you know how it goes. Oh by the way I have the CuddeBack Digital......Pretty dang nice! smile.gif

Try a cheap pair of Coveralls (camo pattern of course). And do the layering. But those coveralls will help. I read in a magzine about eating food for warmth. He recommends split pea soup. This is one of my favorites anyway, so I tried it. I think it helps. You still should get some ellectric socks too.

I spent the weekend in my Wisconsin Bowstand. I had mentioned in some previous posts about the Heater Body Suit and being I said I would report back on it I figured now I knew more. Yes it was cold sitting in the stand. Wind chill was some where around -18 on Sat and yesterday the actual Temp was like -20 when I got to my stand. I spent all three days Fri, Sat, Sun sitting from dawn to dark. My head and ears and neck were cold but the rest of me remained for the most part warm. Did I sweat? No. Would I have made it that long with just layering? No. Was I pleased with the suit? Yes. Would I buy another one? Yes. I still dressed in my full cold weather clothing and had as many layers on as would be expected. I am not saying this suit is for everyone because I am sure it is not, however after my 3 day hunt I no longer regret or question the $300 + I spent on it and I definitely would recommend it's use. I didn't find the Buck I was looking for, I did see about 15 deer over the three days and had Turkeys around me a few times. My hunting for this season will probably give way to fishing from here on out. I had a very enjoyable season with two deer in the freezer as a bonus, and many hours of entertainment watching Gods work. With Seasons greetings to all, I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Holiday.

WS

Capt

I was looking at Cabela's MT050 Gore-tex insulated pants...pretty nice....pretty expensive

Well worth the $, you'll love the comfort of a warm back, in bitter late season hunts I'll tape hand warmers to the area in the bibs that meets my lower back, really a nice feel.

Actually I was down at Cabelas a few weeks ago for their customer visa members weekend. With all my points and the addt'l $30, ended up getting the MT050 whitetail extreme insulated bibs for $67 (originally $299.99). The bibs just to start off were 40% off.

I will definately use the tape and hand warmer idea!

I think I got one heck of a deal on this.