• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what is your biggest fish caught on ice???

tucciproshop

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walleye- 29.50" Lake of the Woods 2002

Lake Trout- 18# Lake Superior Ashland Wi 1993?

Crappie 16 plus" Red Lake 2003

Smallmouth 22" Lake Superior Ashland Wi. 1993?

I cant seem to remember anymore. I think Im getting "oldtimers". confused.gif

The fish of my lifetime was caught the winter of 84. I was fishing in 9' of water using a large flouresent daredevil with a large sucker minnow hooked to it. The minnow went motionless and this huge northern came into the hole and the two of them were motionless looking at each other for what seemed like forever, she finally opened her mouth and literally sucked everything in like a vacuum from a ways away.

I was on the edge of a bar and she took me straight into the weeds, I remember keeping pressure for what seemed like 5 minutes or more without any give and I was afraid of breaking the line if I pulled any more, I finally hit the release button on the reel and she swam out of the weeds after a short time, she made two more runs before I got her in the hole, I grabbed her in the gill plate and pulled her out and we both exited the house on the floor, my heart was beating so hard I could hear it.

She went 49 1/2" and 31# 4oz & sits on my wall where I can look at her and remember that great day.

I took scales in to be checked by the DNR and they stated that she was 10 1/2 years old and the first 3 years of growth were phenomenol.

Ron

WOW!!! What a story grin.gif I've had a pike swim up and inhale a soft plastic right at the boat just as you describe. It's definitely something you NEVER forget wink.gif

Got any photos? I'd love to see them

I caught my biggest walleye last January on Mille Lacs. 30" and I still am waiting to get it from the taxidermist. Sure was a battle. Caught it on a arctic fishermen tip-up that was completely frozen in. I was fighting the fish with one hand and chipping the frozen hole open with the other hand while it was pitch black outside and about negative umpteen degrees outside. Finally my wife came out to hold the flashlight to expedite the catch and calm me down. I was almost positive it was going to be a [commercial-or-naughty-word] eelpout and I was [PoorWordUsage]ed off that I was out there messing around in the cold until I saw her beautiful head come up the hole. Definitely worth the hassle.

Those are some nice fish northlander. I see you are from around ashland. That is where my grandpa grew up. I was born in Rhinelander, WI and lived there 22 years until I joined the navy. Then my job landed me in Indiana. It will be interesting to see what the ice fishing is like down here!

James Tucci

PERCHJR-

SD Glacial Lakes pike perhaps?? I know there are some huge ones in Waubay and other lakes, as well as Perch. Haven't made the trip out there yet.

My big fish is a 40" 18 pound Pike from Lake of the Woods We were ice fishing walleyes & saugers in 30' of water when it hit my little jig. Still not quite sure how I got it through the hole but what an exciting day!

My biggest is also my most bizarre. A 27" 8# walleye out of Lake Harriet. Things had been really slow and I jokingly told my brother I could get the fish to bite by having a sandwich and a cup of hot chocolate. While I was digging out a sandwich my bobber disappeared. I was fishing in twenty four feet, a foot off the bottom. When I set the hook, I knew I was in a spot of trouble. I was using a jiggle-stick (16 years ago) with four pound test and the fish at the other end felt heavy enough to bust the line easily. I let a bunch of line fall off the stick in case he made a run and started to work him towards the top. When I got him near the hole, at first, it appeared as if it wasn't going to fit through the hole and I mentioned this to my brother. He promptly told me I was full of **** and laughed at me. I told him I was serious and just then all the line went slack. I was holding a limp piece of line. Stunned at this sudden turn of events when things had been going so swimmingly, I looked down to see some line going back down the hole. I grabbed the line and, what the hey!! I still had the fish on. This time, I got it back to the hole and when it's head was breaking the water surface, I grabbed it and pulled it into the house.

What had happened? It appears that the little crappie minnow tipped ice fly that I was using had pulled out of the walleyes mouth and inadvertently snagged a ten foot piece of mono that was attached to a larger ice fly in the fish's lip. Who knows how long the fish was dragging that around. This short piece of line was what I had fought the fish through the hole with. I had the fish mounted with the new found hook in it's lip.

cool.gif

35" URL pike on 4# test........last year.

but the most memorable has got to be........

when my gf pulled a 30" eye through the ice on URL early last december.

that was a good day grin.gif

Last late March I was fishing with some buddies of mine out in the gap one morning. A BIG fat line came right across the bottom of my Marcum. I dropped my Angel Eye right down on the bottom, bounced it a few times, and it took. I was using 6lb Fireline. It didn't go too crazy at first, but once I got it close to the hole, he (or she) took some pretty long, hard runs. After about 20 minutes, she tired and I got the head started up the hole. One of my buddies reached and grabbed it under the gill plate and pulled it out.

I had a few pictures taken, measured it, and sent her back down the hole. I didn't weigh it, but I'm guessing it was somewhere around 25 lbs.

I saw a picture a fews yrs ago of a 69lb sturgeon over at Zippel Bay that some woman supposedly caught on 4lb and it took her over an hour and a half to ice. I'm a little skeptical of that one, but I saw the picture and heard the story.

I have some pictures, but don't have a scanner. Drop me your email if you want and I'll have the Mrs. scan it at work tomorrow and I'll send you a copy.

12# laker in canada, man they fight. 6 pound largemouth bass, while fishing for northerns on a 6 inch golden shiner. and a few 3/4 pound gills back when platte lake was putting out in march years ago. 1 1/2 pound crappies on LOW in canada. no big walleyes, but that hopefully will change this year.