• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brittany

loosegoose

I looking into purchasing either an American or a French Brittany Spaniel next spring. Does anyone have reputable breeders they have dealt with in the past and are satisfied with? I did a web search and came up with one French breeder in MN and one in SD.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would recommend Ben's Brittanys in LeRoy Minnesota for your American Brittany. Good people, great dogs, guaranteed at a fair price. I spoke with Ben about a week ago and it looks like they are going to have at least one early litter next spring - not sure who the sire or dam is going to be...but all their dogs are rock solid. One of their stud dogs, Ike, is son to Nolan's Last Bullet (A.K.A. Buddy). I have a pup from Ike and Babe (Maverick line) and all I can say is that I'm pleased with his nose, points, retrieves, intelligence, drive and good nature. My male pup is 1 1/2 years old now, very healthy and tips the scale at about 44 lbs. Give Ben a call and ask some questions he would love to hear from you - 507.324.5558.

Le Scarbot Kennels in Hampton, MN produce French Britts. I know nothing about their kennel though. I think their pups are quite high priced I think. Personally I'd go with an Americanized Brittany but that's just my opinion. Check the St Croix Brittany Club http://www2.pro-ns.net/~blazin//scvbc/ and the Minnesota Brittany Club http://home.earthlink.net/~minnesotabrittanyclub/

Check Double D's Brittanys in Monticello. We have one of their dogs. Very intelligent, wonderful personality, and an excellent hunter. What I like most is that he isn't wound as tight as our older Britt was in her younger day, so he hunts close and under control.

I can vouch for Ben Jacobson too. He helped me out this summer training my new Britt. (That I didn't get from him) He lives close to my relatives and as soon as I found out he breeds Britts last July, I had to go talk to him. He's a great guy and really has some great lines. His HSOforum is . He's really a class act I would difinitely recommend him.

We got our Britt in June from Gold Wind Kennels in Bloomington. Michael Pinkosky is the breeder's name. He's (somewhat) active in the St Croix Valley Brittany Club, we met him at Game Fair. He's got a stud dog (Dusty) that our pup is from that we fell in love with when we met him. He's got a spectacular temperment for a house dog. We really love our Britt that we got from him (but who doesn't love their pup?) She's eight months yesterday and is hunting better than my last Brit was at the end of her second season (2+ years old). Plus I don't think she'll be quite as highstrung as my last Brit once she's an adult.

You check out Gold Wind Kennels at:

Good luck. smile.gif

Evenflow

Sorry, no unauthorized links....

I just got a brittany pup this fall, is 4 months old. This makes the fourth brit I have owned. Previously I had a "Maverick" line but was not able to find one this time. I got one from A & E Gun Dogs and he is a good one. I like a larger brit that can handle tough terrain. The stud was from Timberland Kennels. The web sites are as follows:

Sorry, no unauthorized links...

Ben and Diane have a HSOforum...just go to a serch engine and type in Ben's Brittanys (I don't want to take the chance of typing in the address for fear this message will get edited.) But you can find it pretty easily. You can also email them with any questions you may have from the site...but I would suggest that you just give Ben a call...I'm confident you will like what he has to say.

I know Don & Diane personally,and they are down to earth people.You can trust them.

If you are interested in a pup,you should contact him as soon as possible cuz they are NOT a breeding factory.

They usually have at least 2 litters a year.

You can do a Google search for Double D Brittany's,and find his web page.

Call him,he's a nice person to deal with.

You'll have to put down a $50 or $100 deposit,and that is a 1st come 1st serve basis.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm picking up my Brittany from a breeder in WI tommorow morning. I wasn't really sure what type of breed to get, and you guys on this forum really helped me to narrow my pick. Hopefully the puppy will be a good hunting dog (upland and waterfowl) and be a good pet in my new townhouse that I don't want trashed. Big enough to hunt, small enough to keep in my townhouse, and it has to be "cute" or my wife doesnt want it. Thank god I talked her into one of these instead of her first choice, a pug.

Congratulations and good luck with your new bestest hunting buddy! Sounds like you did your research. Just remember that pointing dogs, Britts in particular, can be a little on the hyper side, some more than others. They are extremely intelligent and can become a handful if they get bored or are not getting at least 30 minutes of exercise each day. Make sure you stick to your guns regarding discipline and make sure you stop and purchase a bunch, and I mean a bunch of good chew toys. Look forward to reading many post from you regarding your pups progress.

Just noticed this thread ... congratulations as well!!

I second Wild Willie's comments: "Just remember that pointing dogs, Britts in particular, can be a little on the hyper side, some more than others. They are extremely intelligent and can become a handful if they get bored or are not getting at least 30 minutes of exercise each day. Make sure you stick to your guns regarding discipline and make sure you stop and purchase a bunch, and I mean a bunch of good chew toys."

My Britt just turned two and the only time that she takes it easy around the house is the night after a day of hunting. She is one busy dog who loves to be involved with the family ... whatever we're doing. Couldn't ask for a better companion at home or in the field. Have fun!!