• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hunting clothes and tips

3 miles...Ooof-da! If I was walking that far, I'd dress very light and carry in my heavy coat, bibs, etc., and dress when I got there. You DON"T want to sweat, whatever you do. You'll just get cold when it's time to sit. If you don't mind saying...what area are you hunting in?

I can't agree with Bronco more. Carry your heavy clothing in with you. Do not wear it in. I hike about a mile and a half to my stand and I learned this lesson the hard way last year. It was very cold so I just wore my bibs and heavy coat in. Needless to say I got rather warm on the way to my stand. As I sat in the stand I began to cool down and my sweat began to freeze! I would recommend strapping your coat and bibs to your back pack. Also bring in as warm of clothing as possible. I see the forecast for next weekend says low 40'2 for highs. While this may seem rather warm you will get plenty cold sitting motionless 10 to 15 feet in the air. I usually wear a handwarmer like the QBs in the NFL wear with some of those chemical handwarmers inside. This leaves your hands ready to grab your gun. I don't like shooting with gloves on. LESS THAN 1 WEEK TO GO!! I CAN’T WAIT.

going out of island lake by Northome...i got invited to go with a friend and his group and his stand {and where there putting me is a three mile walk} i hope he kidding but i don't think so...

One more hint - polypropelene underware!! It wicks the sweat away from your body while cotton holds it. Even if you dress light and carry your clothes, odds are you'll work up some sweat. Also have a good warm hat - after your walk.

I also think the type of long underwear you use is the most critical part of your outfit. I have been wearing wool mixed long underwear for four years now and it is great. I can get so hot and sweaty, but not get could at all. It wicks out the mosture so well that I could ring out my second layer, but not feel wet at all. Wool socks too. Feeling dry when it is below freezing is the key.