• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Rut is on!

HOGEYE

I hunted this evening and saw a few really good bucks hot on the tail. I witnessed one freshen a scrape, wind a doe shortly after and take chase. He was a huge 8 pointer and chased the doe right under my stand. I would have loved to whack him, but the area that I am in requires that a person shoot an antlerless deer first. Well I did shoot an antlerless this evening so I can now harvest a buck in this area.

These bucks were really excited and stupid to say the least. I don't know (pretty sure though) if the does were in estrus, but the bucks sure were chasin!

Man I know what you mean. I've had two bucks come running to the rattling horns in the last week. A big 8 pt. last Sunday and a 6 pt. tonight. I too have been seeing lots of big, fresh scrapes. I also found a rub on a tree that was 15 inches around. shocked.gif

Spent a large part of the weekend in the treestand...I found some areas that shows some minor signs of rutting activity, small rubs and small scrapes, but nothing terribly exciting. Was in my stand from 2:00 until 6:30 Friday, sunrise to sunset Saturday (did not get out for even a minute), and from 5:30 am until about 1:00 today. I never saw a single deer...the only living creatures were the two squirrels I watched for most of the day yesterday. None of the scrapes near my stand had been touched at all over the weekend. I didn't even see any deer out along the highways or in the fields after dark in the area I was hunting. Needless to say, it was quite frustrating. Could the extremely poor weather (continuous wind/rain) have had anything to do with this? What do you guys think?

T-pro, I had the same luck you did this weekend, didn't see one deer on stand. The only one I saw was while me and my dad were driving to the area we hunted this morning, it was a very nice 4 point-nice long antlers. We also saw many dead on the side of the road, which also is a big indication of the rut starting. Patience is all it takes I beleive, just keep huntin.

-Bob

The bucks in the Forest Lake area are definately on the prowl. I saw two yesterday chasing does and grunting like crazy while running after them. I saw two other bucks following trails that does had recently traveled. I wish I was sitting in a tree!

Also, rut activity varies from area to area, does could be in estrous on one farm and a few miles away, they could be a few days away, it doesn't happen on a calendar date every year. I kinda wish I still had a buck tag left, this is an awesome time to hunting. I have always had the absolute best hunts in the last few days prior to the gun opener. Call in sick, take vacation, fake death, do whatever it takes to get in the woods this week, after the gun season it's a whole different ball game.

IGH must not be quite there yet.

seen 8 does last night not a buck insight

saw 2 does this morning not a buck insight

last week was good but I was hoping it was going to be colder this morning 45 is just too warm to gettem up and moving

I have a bad feeling this weekend of gun is going to the best weekend for bow too. oh well

gun season will put some meat in the freezer at least

This past weekend was poor for me. Seen lots of deer after dark, but they were not moving in the last couple hours of light. Lots of sign starting to show up. This week should get better, with the moon rising later. Mornings should be key...but who knows confused.gif This weekend should be awesome....hopefully

Sunday morning saw a buck in the distance running a trail with his nose to the ground just like a bird dog. He didn't respond to my grunting or rattling, he was intent on finding the maker of that trail. Yesterday morning had a small eight come by my stand, he was on the move but I was surprised that his neck wasn't swollen up more...

Just got back from our hunt up by Cass Lake area and i didnt see any real good signs of the rut. Did find scrapes and rubs but only 1 doe with fawns. Hunted from friday morning till this morning and i thought i would have seen bucks chasing the does by now. Had 3 bucks come in on me and not one was following a doe nor did he have his nose to the ground. I did see deer which was good but didnt take one. Hunted in the rain all friday and saturday morning and almost paid off friday nite but almost doesnt count! Big 8 pointer came along the swamp i am over looking and came in to about 20 yards and decided to jump forward just as i was going to put the pin on him. He knew something wasnt rite! Could da should da had him but thats how it goes!

I am hunting on some land owned by a municipality.

I passed on a small eight today that I rattled in. He was on the move, but his neck wasn't that swollen. Had a button under my stand for awhile also. Saw a big racked deer in the distance.