• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shot my first deer with bow last night- now addicted

Last night at 6:20 I hit my first deer with a bow. Perfect situation, wind in right direction, three generations of does wandered out in front of me for 20 minutes, the big doe finally slid in 30 yards from me and that was it. First one I have had in shooting distance and hit her right in the boiler room, nice, clean kill. I could never understand why people got so hyped up about bow hunting, I put in 15 nights this year and never even close to a shooting oportunity. But last night was awesome. I am 25 and thought I was going to have a heart attack. My heart was beating so hard that I thought the deer could hear it. I have shot 7 deer with my rifle and I never got nervous at all. Having one that close with a bow was totally different. I'm hooked now for sure. Great experience.

Bushwhacker,

Nice shot on the Deer--any Deer with a Bow is a trophy and well earned.

If you want to turn-up the excitment, hunt Elk with a Bow after you get a little more experience.

Nothing compares to seeing an animal this big charging at you ready for a fight!

I had a close encounter last month with a small 4x4 and I chuckled at the fact that my right leg was shaking un-controllably as I watched this Bull saunter away from me just out of range!

Get yourself a couple of the Primos tapes or DVD's on Elk hunting--they're fun to watch!

------------------
Chells

I remember my first deer with a bow, every detail. I remember how in love with the sport I was and still am. It takes a certain kind of person to bow hunt. I think it takes a good person. The long hours. The precise details. Everthing has to be perfect. So rewarding! CONGRATUALATIONS!

P.S. I hate to admit it but I missed a nice Buck Wed. night.....Thank god it was a clean miss! No wounds. Went to the range that night and I was hitting bullseyes without any adjustments. Human Error!

Bushwhacker, Congrats and welcome to the club. Like BuckBlaster said, once you get a few deer with the bow you will be amazed at how simple hunting with a gun will become.

This is my 30th bow season and I think I love it more every year. I'm very lucky to have 2 of my best friends (high school buddies) who are just as addicted as me. We have a blast every season.

The adrenaline rush you get when a deer is slowly picking his way toward your shooting lane is worth the price of the license. But if you want to open up a whole new area of excitement get yourself a set of rattling antlers and learn how to use them. There is absolutely nothing that can compare to the sight of a nice pi$$ed off buck charging toward your stand looking for rivals.

Good luck, Polar Bear

Congrats on your first archery deer smile.gif. It's pretty cool letting them get that close, bow hunting can be frustrating at times but when they come in it's pretty awesome. Whole different ballgame than rifle hunting.

I was out for the first time in a couple years just last night, hunting the edge of an alfalfa field. Had 20-30 yard shots at three does, two fawns, a big spike, and a five-pointer. Absolutely unreal, would have definitely taken the five but there was an eight and a ten in the distance, about 100 yards off. The ten is close to P&Y.

Yeah I'm hooked too. cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Lowe (edited 10-24-2003).]

Congrats Bushwacker!! You'll start noticing that rifle hunting is a cake walk now.

I filled my management tag a week ago...she was 8 yards away! I generally setup for 15 and less.

You better apply for bear next year...they get even closer!

To the hunt!!

------------------
"When the hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20' closer to God"
-Fred Bear

Way to go on your first bow kill. I know the heartbeating thtrough your chest feeling very well. I have given up on the rifle and hunt bow only now. It was an easy transition. A rifle offers no challenge to me anymore.I took my first deer with a bow 14 years ago and have not gone back.
You are now an addict!!!!!!! There is no going back now. Great to have you with us.Good luck to you on the rest of the season.

Congrats Bushwacker!!!
I still get that feeling with every one I shoot with a bow and I've been bowhunting for the last 18 years! Like Buckblaster said, take that feeling and apply it to bears, who walk into 10-15 yards of you or less. That's when it really gets fun! In the last 2 years, I've had 3 bears walk right beneath my feet, and all I had was a bow. AWESOME! Now, only if I can get the big 10 pointer to do the same this fall! Congrats again.

Way to go, Bushwacker.

You'll never forget your first deer with a bow. The experience is like nothing else.

I always set up on the ground (don't like heights), and there was one time I actually had to take a step back to draw my bow because the deer was passing too close. Sheesh, talk about a heartbeat! grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Nice job, congratulations, Totally understand the first bow kill, mine was a 200 lb black bear, thought I was going to explode I was shaking so much. Its amazine how pumped a person gets just after ya see the arrow dissapear and ya know its true. What a rush!!! Later Boar