• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Decoys

Has anybody ever used or had any luck using deer decoys? I have thought about using one for a couple of years. For obvious reasons I would only use one on private land etc. Anyone have any thoughts or comments regarding the use or usefulness of deer decoys?

I have used them in the past. I actually used one last night bow hunting for the first time this season. Last year I rattled in a couple small bucks with a doe decoy.They would slowly walk up to it and smell it. It can spark their interest and also help pull some attention away from you while on stand.Be sure to spray it down with scent killer though. I decided not to shoot those deer and after awhile they smelled around on it long enough they caught something they didn't like with smell and snorted off. This was probably because I didn't spray it down with some scent eliminator. I've heard of many hunters have some good luck with them also.

I will using one this weekend to see what it brings in. The Father-in-law has had good luck using them around this time of year. Spray your decoy down good with some scent killer like Doser said. We have also put a hanky or sock on as a tail and spray it with some golden estrus. Good luck and i'll let you know how it goes this weekend.

The DNR is going to have the firearms opener start at noon and go til 4pm for the first four days also. That way you can id doe or buck easier. Also, the first day you will be able to see other hunters in the area when you set up your decoys on Saturday. I've also been trying to find my Federal Deer Stamp for weeks now and can't find any Sporting Goods stores that have any left. The other difficult thing is finding steel shot for my .308 and the plug!!! If anyone has any ideas on these problems let me know. (listen, I'm kidding I hope no one waits til noon to go out on Saturday Nov 8, although I've shot most of my deer from 1-3 pm on stands during gun season)