• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heaters for Treestands?

I,ve been deer hunting for over 30 years and am finally admitting to getting colder during my long vigils in the treestand. I wear all the current state of the art "warm stuff", but still manage to feel cold creep in. Any ideas of a heater I can have in the stand with me, small in size, odorless, longlasting, quiet, etc.? Thanks, buckbusters!

I usually use a coule of those disposable had warmers similar to the ones that somebody posted above. I have found that if I wear a turtle neck shirt, I can put one of those handwarmers onside the collar right at the base of my neck in back. In my case, that's all it takes. I am also very careful not to get too warm walking out to my stand. I have seen special vests that have many small pockets for those warmers to be inserted. That might help too. I have also seen a guy tape those heaters to the top of his sock before he put his boots on. I guess they can be used just about any way if you have particular spot that get's cold easier. Good luck!

A lot of people will tell you never to have a heater in your stand and I tend to agree with that in most cases. However, if your stand is situated in a way that you can see deer coming from a long ways out or you are willing to sacrifice one direction (because of the odor and wind direction), I would recommend a small sunflower heater that uses the one pound jugs. I use them from time to time especially later in the mornings. I sit without the heater until it gets too cold and then turn it on and that is usually after peak deer movement. I really believe that the deer you scare off from the odor probably would have been scared off from your own odor anyway so it is no big deal. I also think that if you can stay in your stand longer using a heat source, you will see more deer which will make up for the deer scared off. Just my thoughts!

We use permanent stands and believe it or not, we all use kerosene heaters. We have used these for years and always see deer, plus you can warm up food on them also. I know it's out of the ordinary, but its been working for us.