• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FAVORITE "ROUGH" FISH?

JUST CURIOUS ON WHAT'S EVERYONES FAVORITE FISH THAT THEY HAVE PERSONALLY CAUGHT. THIS CAN BE BASED ON FIGHTING STRENGTH, TASTE, SKILL TO CATCH, OR IF THEY JUST LOOK COOL AS HE**, ETC...

MY PERSONAL FAVORITE.....SHORTNOSE GAR!!! smile.gif

------------------

<*))))))))><{

I'll take a dogfish for meanness.

One evening I was fishing with a couple of my nephews for 25 cents per fish. I was taking their money when I caught a dogfish on my home-made spinnerbait. I was in the process of landing it when one nephew warned me that it was going to ruin my spinnerbait. I've landed plenty of fish and this boy seemed to be played out. I grabbed the spinnerbait and started to lift. As soon as I did that, it twisted and thrashed. I hung on to the spinnerbait which allowed it to twist the hook about 300 degrees and nearly straighten it. My spinnerbait was totally ruined. I didn't land another fish that eveing and ended up being in debt.

Many of other cool stories about dogfish but I've got work to do now.

Rough fish huh...I would have to say redhorse down on the Root River near Rochester. Those bad boys are everywhere and they put up an awesome fight on light line and tackle. Always get excited thinking I've hooked into a giant trout, but catching a redhorse isn't all that bad smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Easy. Carp. Few fish in Minnesota waters can put up a battle these beasts do. I've had more break offs with carp running me into timber than bass, and thats saying something!

You can keep your flimsy wimpy walleyes. Give me that "other golden fish" *grin*

Crawlerman, you must be a very wise roughfish enthusiast. By far my favorite "roughfish" is the Carp. Pound for pound one of the toughest fish out there. Dogfish is also up there though. Good to see some other carp people.

for just shear "beauty"...i put the shorthead red horse at the top of the list...the bright colored red orange fins and forked tail(these guys were built for speed) ....the golden/copper toned sides glistening in the sun...and they come in numbers....a ritual of spring each year for me!....a fun fish after a long winter!...you can count on em being there !

That's a tough one. Hmm, I think I'd have to give the nod to my namesake, the elusive northern hogsucker, but gar and bowfin come in a close second. Wait, I forgot about the river redhorse. Oh, lake sturgeon too. I'll stop now. ~hogsucker

That's a tough one. I'd have to say the Longnose Gar. Big, tough fish that fight like crazy, jump, tailwalk, and once you get them boated they try to turn you into hamburger with their teeth. But then again the Blue Sucker would probably beat it hands-down if I could ever catch one. Big torpedo-fish living in super-fast current, fast as lightning. Too bad they're almost extinct.

Good responses, guys. Myself, I'd really enjoy hooking up on a 30-plus pound bigmouth buffalo. Great big tough fish-- largest member of the sucker family-- that may be as selective and difficult to tempt as any fish swimming. Size? No one really knows just how gigantic these beasts grow, but rumors of 100-pounders abound. But either way, the ol' buff's got my vote. smile.gif

-a friend called Toad

I have 2 favorite roughs - Bowfin for brawn, hard hits and an awesome fight as well as their cool pre-historic appearance (I can live without the smell, though).

I like mooneyes and drum for their appearance and proclivity.

Oh yeah, and common suckers 'cause they're free cat & pike bait!

Rob

I LOVE fishing for muskies, but I am starting to wonder how much after checking out the diary.

Last year, and so far this year, I have spent the most hours fishing for carp, cats are 2nd and muskies a very distant 3rd.

Tom B

Have never targeted rough fish but have caught some darn big carp that faught and one fight went over an hr. The sheriff even stopped trafic (the tar road was 5' from lake) he wanted to see what I had on. It was only 22lb. but it was on 2lb test so when it wanted to go it went. One guy fishin by me liked to keep track of time he said it was 44min. b4 we seen him. total fight went 78min. Was fun most people sherrif stopped got out and watched, that was 18 yrs ago and the road was 1 lane for about an hour and a half.

Now back to the ? right now I'd like to get some sheepshead. Caught one a while back and they are darn good smoked and a guy offered to buy them pearls (the ones in thier head) for $5 a pair. Is that legal don't know why not but this is MN and the DNR is a joke.

------------------
Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ

some guy offered you 5 bucks for them stones in there head, geez i coulda made about 100 bucks this year already, anyways my favorite rough fish is the bullhead, you get a big bullhead on and do they ever fight and they are easy and fun to catch and taste darn good

carp hands down!!
they fight hared and long, even small ones, a twenty minute, half hour fight is nothing to be supprised about

------------------
this is just my 2 cents
Pooh